The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

oil cooler leaking bad at connector junction.. help?!

My OEM engine oil cooler is leaking pretty bad, it appears as though it's where 2 thread connectors meet on the supply side.

It was just a little messy when I changed out the core support; So I snugged the threaded joints; after reinstall, it is leaking pretty good... I made a small mess worse.

My question is, would teflon tape hold up to oil? Is there anything I could use to seal the threads and prevent further leakage?

Thanks guys!
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: oil cooler leaking bad at connector junction.. help?!

First of all teflon tape WILL stand up to oil, but the connection is a double flare design, I believe. So the teflon tape is a lost thought there. The chances are one of a few things applies here, you either have not tightened this connection completely, or you have stripped the threads in the fitting from cross threading or overtightening, or you have a bad flare and need to redo it. Of course the worst could be true, you have stripped the threads, due to a bad flare and the whole mess is going to have to be redone. This would require the radiator to be removed once again
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Fortunately, the oil cooler sits in front of the radiator and is quite accessible with the grille off so the radiator won't need to come out.

I will get into it tonight and see what I see. My contingency plan will be to bypass the cooler if necessary tonight and repair it this weekend.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

It all makes sense now; There are o-rings at the mounting flange; the original o-rings were just about gone, which makes sense, that when I tightened the connectors, it got worse.

I went to Kragen, but mistakingly got 1 size too large OD/ID and it leaked pretty bad with those. I will get the right o-rings today and get this taken care of. Truck is on the disabled list...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Still on the disabled list... Something really bad is happening at the cooler/hose inlet flange. Even with the right o-ring, it is leaking worse then ever. The hose flange looks good, all I can deduce is that the cooler's mounting flange is damaged somehow. Maybe I overtightened when I originally tried to fix the leak and bent the flange? I can't explain it. It just isn't getting a good junction. The threads look good on both sides, so it isn't cross threading... I just can't put 2+2 together on this one.

I then thought I could get away with just pulling the cooler from where the oil filter mounts and just bypass the cooler altogether. Boy was I wrong. I pulled the oil cooler sandwich part (Between block and filter), and there is no way an oil filter can mount directly to the block the way it's setup.

So, after cursing VERY loudly and throwing my wrench down, I put together a game plan.

Tomorrow, I cruise the pick and pull and find a cooler in good shape and start from scratch. On the way home, I start a contingency plan- I buy the right fittings to bypass the cooler AT the cooler if necessary so I can thread into the hoses and just loop a hose between the supply/return so at least I can get back on the road.

I just don't get it... I consider myself a competent mechanic and I have done a lot with cars and trucks over the year, and this stupid cooler has me scratching my head.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Ah forget it- I had a moment of clarity- Aftermarket.

I am just going to get an aftermarket cooler and be done with it. I can piece it together and not have to deal with this again.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Aftermarket--- finally---a thought that is going to work.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Haha! Thanks.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If you can't be abused by your friends, then the crap that the strangers do to you is just a waste of time.