The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
fslay

283 with a 6-cylinder transmission?

My '62 C-10 has a 235 that's seized up. Even if I get it running, I plan to swap to a small-block V8. My cousin has an old Chevelle with a 283 and a Powerglide that I can get cheap. I wouldn't mind using the Powerglide in my truck, but it's already set up for a 3-speed on the column. Can I use my 6-cylinder transmission with the 283? Just wondering about the bellhousing pattern, and all the other technical stuff.

PS==) Anybody running a 283 in their truck or built one up kinda hot? Just wondering how it came out and if they make good power.
fslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
ol Curt

Re: 283 with a 6-cylinder transmission?

I believe the bellhousing was the same for both six and small block chevy
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
b454rat

Dunno bout you, but I absolutely dispise the 3 on the tree. My truck isn't even on the road, and just moving it around will get stuck in between gears. Have to shut it off, hopefully on level ground,pop the hood and f$#% with the linkage to get in nuetral. I have a 465/205 patiently waiting to go in, then that set up is going in the friggin dumpster. "Supposedly" my truck has low mileage, bout doubt that....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
thekid54

I'm not sure about the bellhousing bolt pattern, but the 6 cylinder trans may not last behind a V8. The input shafts on the 6 cylinder trans taper to a smaller diameter and as a result are weaker. My Dad found this out the hard way when rebuilding a trans on a '58 Chevy sedan a long time ago. The guy at the wrecking yard sold him a rebuilt 6 cylinder trans instead of a V8 trans, besides the tranny not being rebuilt right, the input shaft eventually bent and caused all kinds of problems. Now that I think about you may have bell housing issues too. I believe you need a different bellhousing to to go from the V8 to the 3 spd, and I've heard they're not easy to find!
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Take your 6 banger out. Pull everything from the flywheel, bell housing, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and transmission off and bolt it all on your V-8. Make sure and install a pilot bushing in the crankshaft of the V-8 if it does not have one already. (automatic transmissions don't require one) Everything is the same and yes the transmission will live if you use common sense.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
darklord

I was told that all the older 6cylinder, small blocks, and big blocks have the same trans bolt patern, making any motor and trans combonation possible. And knowing the reputation of the man who told me this, I'd bet it's true.
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

That One One Of Gm Best Trates Think If Ford Would Of Had It We Be All Driving Fordsyou Know The Buick Transmission Will Go In To Thethe 1960--1972 Truck Even If You Have A Low Hump Floor We Just Found This Out 2 Weeks Ago

Where Working On A 1966 Big Window Shortbed Fleet Side Got A Nice 396 400 Found Out The Gm Or Chevt Transmission Will Not Clear The The Low Hump One Of Are Friend Though He Got A Thorbo 400 Chevy Transmission Found Out It Was Pointiac Or Buick Or Olds What Ever It Had The Top Of The Tras Bell Housing Missing Like A U Shapethen We Got A Chevy 400 Trans From A 1968 Camaro Lok At Both Of Them And Found Out The Buick Would Fit With Out Cutting Floor Hoowee Man Its Nice Ever Time We Go To The Street Shows Guys Ask Us How The Th350 Hanlds The Rpms And The Torq We Tell Em Its A 400 We Get A Lot Of Strange Looks Ever One Looks At The Floor And Say Ya Right

They Look Under The Truck And See The 400 Pan

Next Thing Where Going To Put Under It Is A Gear Vender
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
Chevyboy1962
C10 now is a GMC

If you plan on running a manual trans behind a V8 in any '60-'62 trucks, you will have to fina a manual bellhousing for a V8. The 236(inline 6) has a different bolt pattern. I incountered this when I was doing this engine swap, so I ended up installing a automatic behind the V8 instead.

The '60-'62 trucks have a hydraulic clutch setup(slave cylinder) mounted on the passenger side. You can use the '63-'66 manual behousing with the mechanical linkage on the drivers side.

The speed trans should be fine behind th V8, since they did come backed bihnd the V8's from factory, I would highly recommend using a Hurst floor shifter on the trans. No hang ups, and shifts flawlessly smooth & tight.

If you do go & mount up an automatic, you will have to cut out the bell housing crossmember, and fabricate a rear trans crossbrace. I'm not sure on the powerglides trans tho, since some of the '60-'62 trucks did come with this option.

I'm using the column shift (3 of the tree) as my auto matic column, it works perfectly, just don't pull on it like a late model car tho. I've talked to a bunch of old hot rodders, and everone that saw my truck, and told me this was done back in the day.

As for the 283's, they're good engines, stock or hopped up, good to do pretty much what ever you do to it, it will be a good engine. The '61 I got my V8 from looked like a 283 down to the harmonic balancer, but turned out to be a 350 sbc.

My old high school automotive teacher has a '65 elcamino 283 with powerglide setup on a roll around cart(test station). This engine was, and is great, I still remember how strong it ran. It always had the computer teacher in the next class always coming over & complain about the noise, and how the computers in his room kept rattling. lol Me, and few other students always hounded the teacher about selling the 283 to us, but he never would.
David

*1963 C10 lwb fleetside, small window 230/4 speed...Blvd Cruiser

*1931 Ford 5 window coupe (soon to be Hot Rod)... Father & Son project
Chevyboy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
fslay

Well, it's official...my 235 is junk. I've had PB Blaster down all the spark plug holes for two weeks. With no luck getting it to turn over, I got my uncle to pull me down the road with his tractor, and the truck's rear tires only slid on the pavement. We tried this for a long time. I had it in first gear. Oh well, if I can't find a 283, I suppose I'll just have to try that 500 Caddy BBC I've always wanted.

Cheers,

fslay
fslay is offline   Reply With Quote