The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
classicchev

Who has Vintage air

Im wondering who has the A/C setup from these guys. Im thinking of stealing the factory air setup in the "Blimmy" for the work truck or the motorhome , and putting a Vintage Air setup in to clean up the engine bay of all the ugly stuff. I need to see some good shots of the engine bay and a couple of the interior.

Other question is what kit did you buy?

Thanks, Darren

Last edited by classicchev; 01-30-2007 at 11:25 PM.
classicchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
chevy71super

Re: Who has Vintage air

I installed Vintage Air in my 71 Super. It works well, only drawback is it does not draw in fresh air from the outside. I installed the exact fit kit for those with factory air conditioning. No fitment problems noted. (I did it myself.) You can see the installation at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v456/chevy71super/
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
whatnow123

Could you also let us know about the brakets needed, if you needed short or long water pump and if you moved the Alt and 3 grove pulley on the balancer with Power steering? I'm trying to figure this out for mine currently.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
chevy71super

If I remember correctly it comes with the bracket for the compressor. Short pump, 3 row pulley on the crank. (Aftermarket alternator bracket because I have headers.)
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
sleepyboy
'69 Step

I used Vintage Air. 3 row pully on the crank; power steering in stock location; one wire alt on drivers side; and a/c compressor on the right. long water pump with zoops billit brackets. I get compliments all the time; now if i could finish the rest of the truck.. The kit came with a compressor bracket, but I felt it was pretty big and not as pretty as the zoops brackets.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
see ten
WTB this ad

Vintage Air will you send you the correct brackets for your application. In the order process you have to tell them which side of the engine the alternator is on as well as swp or lwp. They have brackets for sbc and bbc and the 6cyl guys. The only thing the kits will not supply is your belt and pulley. I have a Sure Fit system in both of my trucks. If you order one you are going to want the one that works with factory A/C controls not the one that works with factory non air controls.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
project1971

SEE TEN is that a custom made glove box liner to hold that radio? did you make it or did you purchase it?
2000 Cavalier z24 (gas saver)
project1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
see ten
WTB this ad

The glovebox liner came with the Vintage Air kit. All I did was a cut a hole in it for the stereo to slide through.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
classicchev

Thanks for the info. SeeTen, is that the only bulkhead they have, I was going to smooth the firewall and just have the hose connections.

Thanks, Darren
Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #10
see ten
WTB this ad

Darren, What I have is what comes with the Surefit system. A lot of guys have smoothed the firewall and used different bulkheads. You may want to call Vintage Air and speak with a tech about this.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
classicchev

thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
67 cst swb

Hey guys, I'm going to San Antonio, Texas the last week of Feb. If you need anything looked at, picture's of, etc... Vintage Air is only about 5 minutes from the in-laws house... and I will have a digital camera with me...
Just an offer....
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #13
PumiceMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
If you order one you are going to want the one that works with factory A/C controls not the one that works with factory non air controls.
Why?
I've been thinking of getting a VintageAir kit for my truck (non-AC). What is the difference between the two kits you mention - just the control assembly in the dash? If you buy the kit that requires the factory A/C controls, don't you have to buy this assembly on your own? I figured this would be adding a lot of unnecessary cost... What's wrong with the other kit?

Any insight would be appreciated...

Living the dream
PumiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #14
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumiceMan View Post
Why?
I've been thinking of getting a VintageAir kit for my truck (non-AC). What is the difference between the two kits you mention - just the control assembly in the dash? If you buy the kit that requires the factory A/C controls, don't you have to buy this assembly on your own? I figured this would be adding a lot of unnecessary cost... What's wrong with the other kit?

Any insight would be appreciated...
Well, That is quite a good question and I'm glad you asked. If you use your non air controls you will only have a selection of heat, air and fan speed. If you use the factory A/C controls there is a cable that runs to a valve in the heater hose that lets you have somewhat more control over the temp. I have two trucks one of which has factory A/C controls and the other operates on the factory non air controls. In the truck with non air controls i find myself cutting the heat/air on and off a good bit on all but the hottest or coldest days due to having no control of the temp. If you decide to use factory A/C controls make sure you get the bracket that holds the controls to the dash. They will not bolt directly to the existing holes for non air controls without the bracket.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:55 AM   #15
PumiceMan

Thanks for the reply, See Ten - that's what I was after. I'm assuming the bracket you mention is the "adapter" that's referred to in their instructions (I found 'em online). Apparently you can buy a new heat/ac control assembly from them as part of the kit, or just buy the adapter and supply your own factory ac controls. I've seen reproduction ac controls cheaper than what they ask for theirs.

Thanks again!

Living the dream
PumiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
gator2511

I have the sure-fit system on my non air 72. I control the heat by using the fan speed to regulate how much heat I get. On the A/C unit, it has a thermostat to control how much cold air I get. I relocated the control knob to a more convient location. Its just a matter of personal choice but I couldn't see spending more money for (in my opinion) no real gain.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
see ten
WTB this ad

You're on the right path friend! I purchased my controls from a different souce as well. You need to make sure when you purchase controls that you also buy the fan switch. Most places don't tell you that it doesn't come with the controls. It's not a big deal you just have to ask for it. And as far as I know Vintage Air is the only source for the bracket if you want to buy a new one. There may be others out there who carry it but I couldn't find em.