The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
MNorby

Project 71 build thread

I guess I need a name of sorts for this rig but here is the build up of my 71 K5.

Here is how I found it:

$150 later I had it home:

Original plan was to get the 350 and 4 speed running and just put a 4" lift and 35s with 3/4 ton axles under it. Found some 4" springs frome a friend and built a shakle flip in the rear and got an extra set of 3/4 tons I had under it:

Last edited by MNorby; 12-28-2006 at 12:52 PM.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
MNorby

Re: Project 71 build thread

After getting that far I made the decision to part out my buggy and put my 454, th400, 203/205 doubler, Dana 60 fron and 14FF rear end in the blazer and go 500 caddy and rockwells or mogs in the buggy. I have a set of 40" TLSs and also scored a set of used 40" MTRs on aluminum wheels for $300 so I'll have a set of street tires for the friday night top down cruise through town and the TSLs for the trail duties. First step was to swap the 454 in. I built this engine 2 years ago or so and desktop dyno numbers are ~450hp/500 ft-lb. I researched and opted to move the engine forward 1" to help clear firewall. I used the engine pads out of an 80's style chevy and was going to use the crossmember too but opted to just build my own for more clearance:

After getting the engine and the TH400 in place I could tell floorboard clearance was not going to work. I had some old 3" body lift pucks so I put them in along with new poly body mounts:

I didn't like how tall the 3" body lift made it and still couldn't get the t-cases high enough so I opted to cut the floor out and cut the body lift to 1.5" then built my doubler crossmember:

Last edited by MNorby; 12-28-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
MNorby

Then I went through my Dana 60 front end to prep if to install in the Blazer. It has 4.56 gears and a lockright locker. I wanted to install 52" long rear springs from the rear of a 1/2ton chevy or whatever (I have a handful of these things laying around so nice and cheap/free) into the front of the blazer and also move my front end forward more for more wheelbase and better appraoch angle. Here is the 60 and the crossmember I built to mount my springs to in the front:

Then I had to trim the fenders some. I may have to cut more later:

Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
MNorby

I got a STC fastrack top off ebay and got it installed along with a blingin grant steering wheel I picked up for $75 and the CD play so I had some tunes to work with. I also installed 3 curcuit breakers under the dash to use as protected juntion boxes basically one for always hot, acc hot and run hot for accessory installs later on (no pics though). I started waxing the paint and it is starting to kinda shine again. I didn't get to the front drivers side fender and you can kinda see the difference. I have don'e more waxing on the pass side and it shines alot better than the drivers side as a whole too:

That is where I am now. Next I need to change my rear end to my 14FF with 4.56s, detroit locker and disk brakes and installe a gas tank (you can see the big tank in the bed when I cought it. The PO said the stocker corroded so was removed. I am going to install a 31 gal tank from a later model blazer.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Cool to have the build all in one thread! You know I dig your K5!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

Cool Re: Project 71 build thread

Alright, I've just about decided to move to WY just so I can drool over this blazer. I would LOVE it if you had/will take more pictures of the custom crossmembers you've made.

It is looking great!! Mad props yo!! I guess, or whatever that means.

Later,
Buddy
2003 Discovery SE7 - Wife's
BUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
MNorby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDDY View Post
Alright, I've just about decided to move to WY just so I can drool over this blazer. I would LOVE it if you had/will take more pictures of the custom crossmembers you've made.

It is looking great!! Mad props yo!! I guess, or whatever that means.

Later,
Buddy
Thanks everyone for the compliments
What crossmember pics would you like? I have alot of the building steps of the crossmembers too
Old 12-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #8
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

Thumbs up Re: Project 71 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
Thanks everyone for the compliments
What crossmember pics would you like? I have alot of the building steps of the crossmembers too
Any & all! If you have dimensions that would be incredible, but I'd take just the pictures.

AAMOF, if you don't want to post them up, send them to me & I'll post them for you. It would be a disservice to anybody else, if they weren't posted.

I salute you!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
johnnywagon
Sofa King. We, Todd, Ed.

WOW! I am very impressed with all your custom fabbing. I really like your front spring mount/crossmember...I wish I had seen it before I started what I am doing to my front mounts (here's pix...crossmember is coming soon). How do you like your front lock-right? I might try one, but I do drive a little on the streets in the winter...to get to the off road park, anyway. Thanks & again, very impressive,
Attached Images

71 Blazer One Ton
65 Chevelle Station Wagon x2
59 Belair 2 Door
71 Chevy Open Road Van RV

www.myspace.com/johnnywagon
johnnywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
MNorby

Johnny: I have had great luck with my locright. Never really drive on icy streets in 4x4 but IMO that would be my last worry. I have heard of people with them in D44s don't hold up since there just isn't alot of room for meat for the locker but in my 60 I have abused it hard and never a prob. Of course it has the maners of any locker and can be dificult to turn on hard stuff but blirp the throttle and usually not a problem. Are you running 52s up front or something like 47s for a later model rig?

Buddy: Here are a few more pics from the builds of various crossmembers. If there is any dims you want lemme know, I never really blueprinted them or anything.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Wicked, so how does that 3 lever thingy work?
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
johnnywagon
Sofa King. We, Todd, Ed.

MNORBY, Thanks for the feedback. I think Im gonna try one. I'm only running 36's on my D44, but I abuse the hell out of it. One day D60 w/crossover...one day...

71 Blazer One Ton
65 Chevelle Station Wagon x2
59 Belair 2 Door
71 Chevy Open Road Van RV

www.myspace.com/johnnywagon
johnnywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
MNorby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
Wicked, so how does that 3 lever thingy work?
With the doubler and triple stick setup one stick is a basic high-n-low, the other is a front end high-n-low and the 3rd is the rear end high-n-low. Effictively can put in front only double low or rear low any any combiniation thereof. I will install line locks on the front and rear too so can lock rear brakes and put in front wheel drive and pivot.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:39 AM   #14
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

Talking Re: Project 71 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
Buddy: Here are a few more pics from the builds of various crossmembers. If there is any dims you want lemme know, I never really blueprinted them or anything.
Hey thanks. I definitely appreciate it. The reason I'm being such a pain about the dimensions is because I want to draw them up in AutoCAD seeing as how that's what I do all day. That way I can take the drawings to a welding shop, (cause I don't have a welder myself), for my own blazer. Plus, I LOVE how simple they all are & how high the transfer case frame gets everything in there.

If you don't mind, just stick a tape measure all around it & take pictures of the tape up against all the different pieces. I know I make it sound really simple, especially since it's in the truck now, but I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I'll continue in discussion with you about it through PMs, email, whatever so that I am able to get a good understanding of what all was used & where.

Again, I think it looks awesome!! Keep up the updates.

Buddy

Last edited by BUDDY; 12-31-2006 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Edited to note that I won't try to market the plans once they have been drawn up without MNorby permission or partnership. Just want them for my own truck.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

One other question, (for now ): What steering box/pitman arm did you use for the crossover steering?

Thanks,
Buddy
Old 12-31-2006, 08:04 AM   #16
vtblazer

Mnorby, you made alot of great decisions on this one, nice build for sure.

Should wheel very well.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:21 PM   #17
MNorby

The crossover parts are my steering gear I ported off my 80s style chevy and the arm is a ford lift arm that ORD sells in their crossover kit. I'll try to take a few dims for ya
Old 02-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #18
MNorby

some updates. Got my locked, disked, 4.56 rear end in with my good 56" springs with new ruff stuff perches. I put the 56s in backward then used the perches to move the rear end forward 1" so effectively moving the rear end back ~3". Did some more hacking on the body and still need to round the cuts off. Twisted the rig on the hoist to check some clearances. About to modify a later model gas tank to fit the rig next.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #19
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

That's cool.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote