The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Litemup
Steel Horse Cowboy

Engine help needed

The truck I have currently has a 350 with 4 bolt mains, I've decided just to build the motor I have now rather than to build another motor, at least for the time being. I'm new to american stuff but not new to engines, I've asked around a few people I know and they've made a few suggestions. I figured I'd let you guys know what they said and see if anyone had any better suggestions.

Currently I'd be doing mostly bolt on things, except for possibly a cam.

-Vortec Heads (I think there's two types I'm not sure which one I should get)
-Cam (Not really sure what I need here either, I want driveability but a good boost in power aswell)
-Airgap Intake
-Bigger carb (Currently have a qjet, would be looking to go bigger, 750 maybe? Maybe that's to big, not to sure.)
-Headers/Exhaust

Anyway if you guys could fill in the gaps for me that would be great, if you have other suggestions I'm more than happy to hear them too.

Thanks
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Engine help needed

b-4 spending money on "upgrades" you should first determine if the core you have is worth worth upgrading// many times partial upgrades on tired old pieces end in catastrophic failure// any maybe stating a realistic budget as to what you can affrord to spend will get you some suggestions

some of the most basic no matter which way you proceed are/full gasket set,oil pump,timing chain set, upgrade on ignition to hei
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
crm318
Alright Alright Alright

a Q-jet flows 750. it will be more than enough for your motor.
GM Performance high rise intake,
Comp 268H .454/.454 218/218 110 LSA
Quadrajet carb, Flowtech headers, 2.25 40 series
HEI, Curve kit, TH 350, 3.07 gears
275/60/15s on 15x8 rallies
crm318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Litemup
Steel Horse Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
b-4 spending money on "upgrades" you should first determine if the core you have is worth worth upgrading// many times partial upgrades on tired old pieces end in catastrophic failure// any maybe stating a realistic budget as to what you can affrord to spend will get you some suggestions

some of the most basic no matter which way you proceed are/full gasket set,oil pump,timing chain set, upgrade on ignition to hei

A gasket set is already in order, and I do plan to take a look at the block, I'll plastigauge it, and grab some measurments/testing but I'm preatty sure its all in good working order.

As far as a budget, I can afford to the things I've listed, I'm not a rich guy and would be buying things a peice at a time, I just need to know if what I've got in mind is the righ tway to go.

List of things so far:
HEI updgrade diz
Vortec heads
air gap intake
rebuilt qjet/or new carb
headers/exhaust
cam
timing chain
Possibly spertine set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm318 View Post
a Q-jet flows 750. it will be more than enough for your motor.
Ah I was not aware of that, the linkage on my current qjet is preatty bad, lots of play I think its toast, if I was going to get a new carb, would a rebuilt qjet be the way to go, or would you just buy a new carb?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
metalmassfab

cdowns hit the nail square on the head; I did the bolt-on deal a few years ago to the well-worn .040 over 350 in my truck. New heads, cam, intake, etc. 4000 miles later the heads were toasted by low oil pressure from worn bearings, and she went downhill in a hurry from there. I ended up doing what I should have done in the first place, building a 383 stroker. I figure my idiot mistake cost $1200 at least. Now days it cost almost the same to build a 383 vs. 350, and the extra torque is nice...

New Projects:
-New radiator core supports, steel and stainless
-Aluminum radiators
-Aluminum dual electric fan shrouds

'69 C-20 Custom
'69 Nova...BIG BBC soon
'72 3-door 'Burb...in a few
'94 K2500 454 'Burb
metalmassfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
crm318
Alright Alright Alright

well is seems that youre throttle shafts are worn. you can get a rebuilt qjet for an oreillys or autozone for 100-150. thats what i did and my trucks runs great.
GM Performance high rise intake,
Comp 268H .454/.454 218/218 110 LSA
Quadrajet carb, Flowtech headers, 2.25 40 series
HEI, Curve kit, TH 350, 3.07 gears
275/60/15s on 15x8 rallies
crm318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Litemup
Steel Horse Cowboy

Thanks guys, I'm going to check out the bottom end completly before I do anything.

On the assumtion that everything checks out ok on the bottom end, do you guys think I have the right parts listed or should I be looking for something else?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
Stroker

The upgrades you've listed look okay, but without knowing more about the truck (gearing tranny stall ect.....) and your expectations it's difficult to give you any specific advice. Do you want to be able to tow, is mileage important?

The Vortechs are a great budget head but remember they have some valve lift limitations in the stock configuration. They most likely will require some machine work and new springs if you get very aggressive with the cam selection. This starts to narrow the price gap between the Vortech heads and some of the other aftermarket heads. If you plan to use a mild performance cam with lift around .440-.450 they should work fine without modification as long as you don't plan to rev the engine beyond 5200-5300 RPM. If you plan to rev a little more than this then you might need to upgrade the springs.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
cableguy0

i wouldnt personally add all that without doing a full rebuild. the bearings arent the only issue. your other issue is the rings and the bores themselves plus the rest of the worn parts that will fail quickly with the stress of a bunch of added power.you cant plan to spin that stock bottom end over 5k rpm anyhow it wont hold together and will end in catastrophic failure more than likely giving you a nice window into the crankcase through the oil pan.you should have the engine rebuilt and have the bottom end balanced and upgrade to at least a set of hypereutectic pistons just for the weight savings alone. stock cast pistons are heavy and when you spin them hard things break.being on a budget is something most of us know all to well there never seems to be enough money but doing the job and rebuying everything a second time because the bottom end blows to pieces isnt cheap
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote