The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
smh292

68 SWB Body - Is this a good deal?

I went to look at a truck this weekend and I am on the fence about buying it. The truck is completely disassembled. Here is what it is:

- 71 Shorbed Frame which has been blasted and painted, starting to show some surface rust in a couple spots from sitting. 5 Lug discs upfront coils in the back
- Cabs looks to be in good shape and has been primed. Doors are on and solid also in primer. the only thing that might need some repair would be the floor pans. Cab is from a 68 with a good title. The fenders, hood, cowl, tailgate bed floor shortbed side panels are all there and GM original and would only require minimal rust repair
- He says when he bought the truck the guy told him the 350 motor was recently rebuilt, I didn't get to see the motor since it was at his house not his shop. The truck truck also comes with either a 350 or a 400 trans (my choice)
- He says he has everything to put the truck back together including glass, interior, wiring harness, steering column, rad & support, 68 grille,

He is asking 2500 delivered (I live 60 miles from his shop). I am thinking that this a a good project since it already has a good start. I want to learn how to do all this stuff and I think it is a perfect project. I figure if I bought a driveable truck, I would end up disassembling it to begin with and I would probably be looking at a lot more rust repair and a lot more time to pull everything apart.

My concerns are that I haven't seen the motor or trans yet and he has a lot of the parts packed away in his shed. He said if I am serious about the truck that he will pull everything out and lay it all out so I can see exactly what I am buy. I know the 68's are popular and also the shortbeds and V-8 motors would make this truck more popular.

Does this sound like a good deal? What are some parts that I would want to make sure are included in the deal? Is there any way to tell if the motor and trans are good since they are out of the truck? Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Robznob11

Re: 68 SWB Body - Is this a good deal?

id do it, people don't realize what you can spend in a refurbish, I have 3500 in my truck and it does not run or drive and i don't even have a tranny... but i have the best of the best in what i do have and it will be running befor long
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
cdowns

i would think closer to the $500-$1000 range// a basket case in most cases is missing hundres of small important pieces that have to be dug up . check ebay and see what these trucks actually go for in complete rolling form//taking apart a complete truck is far better than trying to comptete somebodys aborted project// as far as the engine "a friend of a friends grandmothers second cousins nextdoor neighbor said" well that could be anything but more than likely involves a $500 can of spraypaint
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
bobthecop

I have about 4k in mine and it is apart. Paint and body work is done. I would want to see all the parts first, try to negotiate a better price. There is no way I could sell mine for what I have in it.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
cdowns

another thing to keep in mind is you're about a month away from the start of the swapmeet season up north and for $2500 i would think a running driving pretty complete original vehicle wouldn't be that hard to find at places like carslile or englishtown to name a couple

Old 03-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
smh292

I've done some research and from what I can tell it is tough to find something up this way that is not completely rusted out for this kind of price range. Everything I have found that is pretty decent is bringing in more cash. I think the pluses of this project is that the frame is solid and has been cleaned up already, The truck is a shortbed and I know it is tougher to find a shortbed, the body panels are all GM and not repro panels, and the truck would require very little rust repair. The price also includes delivery which since I don't have a trailer would be good as well.

My 71 is a great driver, but I know if I started pulling it apart that I would find more and more stuff that would need to be replaced. I know from doing the lowering kit on it that everything on the underside is rusty. I've never done rust repair, body work, or motor work, but I want to learn how to do some of it, to some extent and from what I've seen on the board, this would be a pretty good start. I appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming so I can get some different perspectives before I make a decision.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

It sounds pretty pricy IMHO.
If your area is similar to mine,then yes a shortbed will bring a higher price tag,but the truck sounds like it's in pieces and not running.You have no way of knowing what shape the engine/tranny are in,and with the cab and doors in primer you don't know how good a job they did or what they've thrown a can of bondo into.I don't know that I'd go any higher than $1000 shortbed or not.There are so many possible pitfall.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
cfoust3

Man, this is one of those cases where it is completly up to you. Ask yourself how much work and money are you willing to put into it? It may be a little high priced but if you like it and think you can put the time and effort into putting it together then I say haggle a little get it to
2k a go for it. If not.... wait and get something more complete.
cfoust3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
another thing to keep in mind is you're about a month away from the start of the swapmeet season up north and for $2500 i would think a running driving pretty complete original vehicle wouldn't be that hard to find at places like carslile or englishtown to name a couple
I agree. You could spend hundreds or thousands on those missing "little pieces." If you get a complete running truck, at least you know how to take it apart and put it back together. You can even work on it while you drive it. You may get overwhelmed with a pile of parts and end up selling it. Many fellas on the board have posted about the "pile of parts" frustration.

I'd buy it as a parts truck for 1,000. Buy a soild running truck. Take what you need from the parts pile and sell the rest.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
cdowns

if the frame has rust on it he did a crap job and you'd need to start back at square one stripping and redoing it so i dont see how you count that as a plus

Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

For the first time builder I suggest you pass unless you have access to a cheap fairly complete parts truck.It might be different for someone who messed with these trucks on a regular basis,had extra parts and knew what to expect and look for.I think a complete driver is the best starting point in your case.If you are mechanically inclined it is pretty simple to put it back together if you take it apart and keep up with everything.Even a top grade mechanic would have a hard time putting together a truck he had never worked on.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
smh292

This wouldn't be my first build. I tore down my 90 S-10 and redid that with a full air ride suspension to lay frame, cut out and notched the bed. I layed out all the lines for paint and my dads buddy sprayed it. I was involved in a lot of the bodywork when it was in the shop. The only thing with that build was that we didn't pull the motor or the cab and we left the dash in. I know this would be bigger project and I know that there would be parts along the way that I would need to get, but that is what makes swap meets and hunting thought the used parts boards fun. The one thing that would be easier with this project would be that I would keep a lot more of the truck stock than my S-10 and I know it is relatively easy to find parts for these trucks. I also have a 71 C-10 that is a driver so I would have that to look at whenever I need to see how something goes together or what parts are required.

I have done some research on price and it would be tough to find something in this area that is not a rust bucket for around 2K. If I were to find something for around 2K I would still probably have to find a lot of replacement parts and I would have to do a good amount of rust repair. The other thing is that the price incudes delivery from 60 miles away. That includes a couple hours to gather and load all the parts, hour and a half drive, time to unload all the parts and then the trip back. I don't have a trailer so I would have to ask a friend to use their trailer and probably pay for gas and lunch at least. I'm thinking if I can talk him down a little more closer to 2K it would be a good deal. As far as the motor I would want pull it apart with some help from someone with experience and see if it needs to be rebuilt. I'm still on the fence cause everyone seems to think I should pass on it. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh292 View Post
T I also have a 71 C-10 that is a driver so I would have that to look at whenever I need to see how something goes together or what parts are required.
I'd say go for it then. I'm originally from southwest NY, I know all too well what a "northern" truck looks like
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

If its not rusted underneath and he's got most of the parts its a deal. If you give 1-2k for a truck that has to be torn apart and the then do the rust repair you better off with a someones '' project '' As far as takin' a loss on a project hold out till you get your price. Priced mine to a guy that likes to buy low, paints em' adds a little fluff then sells 4-5 time higher. Told him $8000 way it sits then laughed him out of the shop. He thought I would sell for 2-3K!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......

Last edited by weasel29gm; 03-06-2007 at 02:47 PM.
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

For the money,I`d have to here that motor run in that frame.He`s bailin`,but if wants money out of it he has that little bit to do to get $2,500.It "could" be worth the money.I think if you go look with someone who knows what they`re looking at and it`s pretty much all there,it`s worth it around here.
You won`t see a shortbed at Carlisle for less than double that.I`ve seen $4,500 trucks I wouldn`t pay $1,000 for.And,that was the cheapest truck there.The best and cheapest shortbed I`ve seen(and bought)there was a`68 6`Fleetside Custom w/350/TH350,cosmetically and mechanically sound for $6,000.I went over it ,including rebuilding motor)and flipped it for $7,500.The guy was tickled.$2,500 is a drop in the bucket towards a build-up.
The key here is:Unless you can have someone confirm exactly what you get for the money,including the seller,I`d offer 1/2 or walk.If I thought I could get over there,I would help.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #16
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

If you like the truck, and you believe the work that has been done up to now is solid, I'd say go for it.

Someone suggested also buying a real cheap parts truck, that is a great idea. Use the parts truck for a template on how to assembly the good one and as a source for all the little parts that the seller doesn't give you or can't find. And believe me there will lots of those missing parts. I have one truck apart right now and I can't find all the little parts at my own house! Don't underestimate the little parts, like headlight bucket retaining springs for one...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

well the problem is you got to be able to trust him at his word, and hope he did a good job on the stuff he has done so far..as far as the motor and tranny goes,,i would pass on them,,because nobody really knows if they run or not. i would offer about 1000 for every thing but the motor and tranny, that is after going over the body and frame really good. and seeing all the parts..and if you work a deal with him,,make sure if he finds left over parts to truck or you find somethign missing, if you can come pick it up for the orginal deal...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #18
zden

i started with a nice looking longbed complete. well about $12,000 later its a swb thats a decent looking driver and a long way from being how i want it. my problem is it is hard for me to reuse an old part. every time i do i seem to be replacing it not long after. you just have to make up your mind about the quality of truck you want and go from there. i paid double that and the only thing i reused was the cab, doors, engine and rearend.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
bagged91
Out draggin'

Is this the truck here in this thread??? Sounds familiar..

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=227103.
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #20
smh292

Thats the one, Mike's the one who got me in touch with the guy
Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #21
msgross

maybe i'll get a finders fee....haha

Did you get in and inspect the brake work?
Did he have the title? Will he do the transfer and Notary?

I have my truck in pieces (68 SWB) and could help you go through the truck to gather "most" of the parts that you will need (on a warmer day). Can't promise I remember everything...

tailgate - 300
bedsides - 500
clip - 400
cab/title - 400
bed floor - 300
rad support - 100
radiator - 150
engine/tranny - 400
SWB frame - 750
disc upgrade - 200?
Total = $3500 (if my math is right?)

Go build a SWB from scratch and I bet that you will be close to that.....

If the 350 and tranny run (he owns a shop so have him promise to fix any issues that you find in it down the road) then I would say drive them till they drop....

If you can save a few bills then I would do it... The front tires were in good shape right? have him find a nice set of back tires and ditch the flat slicks...

Let me know if you want to look at it again I live accross town... The seller does seem like a decent guy that owns a shop in town and wouldn't want to make enemies, he knows what the trucks worth though so that's why he is staying above $2K. Good luck...

Mike
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 03-07-2007 at 08:52 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #22
jb4short
Damn Yankee

I'd be interested in it w/o drivetrain if you don't buy it.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #23
smh292

I got a couple parts I might be selling for extra cash and I have done a lot of research and I am about 90% ready to do this if I go see everything again it does include just about everything. Thanks everyone for you opinions and insight. It has been very helpful in my thought process.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

I talked to smh292 yesterday on the phone.He`s very aware of what he`s getting into and is looking at this as a built from scratch project to build it his way.It`s not his first and he was just pickin`brains for opinions as that is one thing this site is great for.I know these trucks better than myself and I`ve asked the same question before.It`s a great place to gather info,ain`t it?
Now,I wonder if I don`t know the exact truck he`s looking at.Although I gave him positive reinforcement,if it`s the truck I`m thinking...JUMP ON THAT THANG!!!I` would love to drool on the final result.A southern`68 short fleet V8 on a`71 frame is an awesome platform and I`m sure between your buddies in your club and you`re dad`s bodyman buddy,you`ll easily see it through.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-08-2007 at 09:58 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #25
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I talked to smh292 yesterday on the phone.He`s very aware of what he`s getting into and is looking at this as a built from scratch project to build it his way.It`s not his first and he was just pickin`brains for opinions as that is one thing this site is great for.I know these trucks better than myself and I`ve asked the same question before.It`s a great place to gather info,ain`t it?
Now,I wonder if I don`t know the exact truck he`s looking at.Although I gave him positive reinforcement,if it`s the truck I`m thinking...JUMP ON THAT THANG!!!I` would love to drool on the final result.A southern`68 short fleet V8 on a`71 frame is an awesome platform and I`m sure between your buddies in your club and you`re dad`s bodyman buddy,you`ll easily see it through.
I concur... If I bought it I was thinking BBC and still build it nice for <$10K
Go for it Shannon, let me know if you need help collecting the parts from the seller... Did he mention the blue parts truck in the deal?
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote