The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2002, 04:49 PM   #26
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy longhorn
. If I remember the had shortened the distance from the balljoint center to the shaft mounting point by 1/2 - 3/4 " to compensate for the shorter spring & still be able to adjust the front end. My guess is that the aftermarket arms are built with this in mind, but I havent used them......so Im not really sure?
hymm, i didnt think of that.

yea i guess by relocacting the position of the ball joint that might be able to get it back closer to the stock geometry and itll keep your ball joints at reasonable angles. however that dropped arm will still push the spindle up and move the uppercontrol arm some what, how much the spindle goes up and the upper arm moves? i dont know. however im sure if companys are selling these arms then they ARE alignable as is, however i dont think you can claim that they retain stock geometry, because they dont. only drop spindles will do this.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:24 PM   #27
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

Charley's website: http://www.dropitnow.net/index.htm That's his red convertable 71(I think) Chevy right hand drive stepside.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:44 PM   #28
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Has anybody used DJM parts? i found some info on dropped arms on their website...... http://www.djmsuspension.com/Product...63C10Parts.htm
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:03 PM   #29
Dropt72Shortbed

from my experience with DJM, when they offer an upper control arm for a specific vehicle its usually because you need it in order to get your alignment right.

my friend was looking to lower his ranger and we researched it alot on the ranger forums. everyone i spoke to said the DJM kit was the best to go with, and they all told me that its impossible to align the truck without the "optional" upper arms.

also those prices on DJMs site are a lot higher than what you can purchase them for from retailers, im not sure why they do that.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:37 PM   #30
Gene

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dropt72Shortbed
[B]

i dont know if thats true.

the stock coil still is in the same top and bottom position as it was with the stock arm. so in theory the bottom coil pocket has to be in the same relative position as it was with the stock control arm. you can think of it as if the rest of the lower control arm is being lifted up around the coilpocket and bottom of the coil. if it goes up, so does the spindle, and so does the upper arm.

Well dropt72shortbed, I can tell you from experience the set of dropped A arms I had were Suspension Techniques. They were a compeditor of Bell Tech back in the 90's. The spring pocket WAS dropped 3 inches because my arms were a 3 inch drop, and also the ball joint location was relocated to compensate for the spindle location. This did not move the location of the upper A arm. Not all arms are alike I would imagine but mine were this design. The spring pocket WAS dropped and therefore it was lower than a stock spring location. This did not effect the geometry as I stated before, I know this because my front end man told me the adjustments were minimal. Like I said not all manufacturers are the same, and maybe this can explain your experience with your set of A arms

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 11:11 AM   #31
crazy longhorn

A big thanks to all for tips, sharing experiences,& links......lots of good info guys......thanx! Crazy AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 11-22-2002, 09:38 PM   #32
SCOTI

Hey Crazy L those a-arms that you were referring to were from the 'DropShop', Chino Ca. They cut out the ball joint, remove an additional 3/4" of steel, then weld it back together. I've got them on my 67. I think I bought mine back around 1989-1990 & I used them w/Western Chassis' 2.5 drop spindle. Does anyone know if 67-72 arms will interchange w/73 & later?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:32 PM   #33
crazy longhorn

Yes SCOTI, I couldnt remember the name....but thats it.... The Drop Shop. If you are planning to use the arms on a 73 up, I believe they will bolt right on. The lower ball joint from 71- 79 or later should be the same. The upper ball joints & outer tierods were different 73 up vs the 71-72. The 67-70 arms had a different ball joint & tierods(for the spindle), & the steering stops were different, but should be useable with a little grinding. good luck....crazy AL
Old 11-23-2002, 12:37 AM   #34
SCOTI

I've been considering taking the ones I got from the DropShop off my 67 & swapping w/the stock ones off the 74. Then I'll butcher the stock ones in an effort to narrow the track width up front more than it is already. A little tuck for the 74, the big tuck for the 67. Streetrucks mag has an article on this in the most recent issue. What's cool is I've been measuring & toying around w/my already modified arms trying to decide the optimum amount/place to make the cuts but have been hesitant . . . but in the mag they made their cuts exactly where I marked mine so that made me feel more at ease. Those guys @ IFCustoms aren't scared to cut up anything, but alot of their stuff is too low for my taste.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 01:00 AM   #35
crazy longhorn

I have been looking at DJM arms, & after talking with Charlie from Charlies Drop Shop, I may cut my lower arms to move the balljoints in, & go ahead with the DJM top arms, then add the sway bar that is missing. I have seen the arms cut, but its been a while......if you get into it, how bout you post a couple pics on the surgery? Good luck.....crazy AL