The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
72BigBlockSuprCustom

Advise on Wiring Harness

Hello,

I have a 72 Super Custom Camper, and I need to replace all of the wiring. Does anyone recommend what to get and where to get it?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by 72BigBlockSuprCustom; 03-15-2007 at 02:39 PM.
72BigBlockSuprCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
zacut
67 chevy SWB Fleetside

Re: Advise on Wiring Harness

I used a Painless wiring harness specifically for our trucks from Summit Racing. Wires are labeled every foot or so and some of the plugs are pre-installed. Fairly straight forward
Brothers 1 pc Windows ... Lokar Pedals, Shifter, E-brake
Ididit Column ... VDO guages
zacut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

I got my Painless running yesterday.. I had never done ANY wiring in a vehicle before I started. If you read the instructions and take your time it's not bad. Still have to clean mine up a bit and route wires better but she's running

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
72BigBlockSuprCustom

Yeah, I saw your post right before I was about to post mine! Good Job! I'll need to get one of those Wiring Your Truck for Dummies book....I wonder if Borders Books carries em! )

Thanks! I'll look it up.....

Was it as Painless as they claim???
72BigBlockSuprCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BigBlockSuprCustom View Post
Yeah, I saw your post right before I was about to post mine! Good Job! I'll need to get one of those Wiring Your Truck for Dummies book....I wonder if Borders Books carries em! )

I just did mine with a Painless, and it was painless I think. My truck had been apart for resto for two years, so there was no memory to go from, but I did as they suggest and laid the old harness out on the floor. Kinda arranged it how it fit in the truck which help me to identify what was what on the new harness, then began plugging stuff in.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
snj8198

I have a universal 21 circuit harness for 67-72's from EZwiring. I have not installed it yet but I have compared it to the Painless harness. The Painless looks more complete but is more expensive. The one I got was $170 but involves more work installing. Also if you are running a set of Autometers or after market gauges Painless has a jumper harness that plugs right in but it is pricey. Last I looked Painless was about $490 and $90 for the gauge cluster harness.
snj8198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BigBlockSuprCustom View Post

Honestly, yes it's pretty Painless. Like I said, it's tedious. Just work until you're sick of it and come back later. I kind of when through the existing harness and saw where everything was connected and then laid out the new one in the driveway to sort of figure out where everything went on the new one.

All the wires I didn't know what they were I looked up in the instructions which are written pretty well.

You don't need a wiring for dummies book. If you know how to use a set of wire strippers and crimpers you should be ok.

With me it took a while to get the hang of it. I understood the wiring diagrams in the instructions and I understood the wiring when I looked at it in the truck I just couldn't look at one and picture the other for a while. That slowly came together as I worked on it.

Shifty came over and helped me a little bit also and watching him work helped me a lot also so if you've got a buddy that can help, 2 minds are normally better than 1 (or 1/2 in my case)

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote