The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2002, 01:43 AM   #1
chevychic

Question Rattle ????

I have an annoying rattle when starting my truck. It mostly happens in the morning when the truck is cold. I can't be positive but the sound seems like it's coming from the driver's side of the engine ???

Any ideas?

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:28 AM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Exhaust bolts maybe- headers or collectors? Also maybe a rocker arm not getting oil as much until it's warmed up?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Need more of a description. Is it a clicking, or a pecking, or a knocking, or just a rattle like maybe some loose metal shaking around? Do you have headers, can't remember? Do you think it's coming from the engine itself or something on the outside/left side of the engine? Does it last for awhile or only does it real quick and stops as soon as the engine starts? Do you have time to get out and listen to it before it quits?

Describe it the best you can. We all are pretty good in guessing if we see a description of the noise. Normally, we don't include a rattling, as a engine noise.

If by rattling you mean clicking, may be a lifter not oiling right when cold.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:46 PM   #4
chevychic

I had a feeling you were going to ask for a better description. I just didn't quite know how else to put it but you helped me out a little Mike.

It's just a rattle like some loose metal.

I have headers
It sounds like it's coming from the outside left of the engine. I do NOT think it's coming from the engine itself.
It happens really quick and is gone as soon as the engine turns over. I don't have enough time to get outside and listen...as my arms aren't that long
I'm usually starting my truck after my husband goes to work so I can't have him start it while I listen.

It's definitely a rattle and not a click. I know the clicking you're speaking of and this is definitely not that.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
Old 11-26-2002, 07:53 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

rattle

any chance the inspection pan on the torque converter is loose or maybe some kind of casing on the cat converter

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:36 PM   #6
BigRed

By left side do you mean passenger side? I'm thinking you do. It sounds like it could be something to do with the starter. Especially since it only happens when you first start it.

I have a similiar problem with mine when it first starts. However, mine sounds like a blower whine and last for maybe 1-2 seconds. Seems like our trucks always act a little different in the cold weather.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:41 PM   #7
chevychic

No left side when in the vehicle...drivers side.

It's not the starter that's not where the noise is coming from.

I just replaced the starter 2 weeks ago and this noise was being made before then.

- Christopher Robin
Old 11-27-2002, 12:48 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Okay really wild guess here but maybe a loose fender (inner) or maybe the fender emblem?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote