The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2002, 10:26 PM   #1
ebfabman

Pay me! Pay me! Pay me!

I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum with truck enthusiast sharing information.
Whats up with people wanting to be paid for information and tips. Yeah, I know we make our living with the information we possess when we are making our living, but why try to stick it to someone when we are all playing with our trucks here.

Lately, I've seen post where board members ask how someone does something and they get an answer like oh its a "trade secret" and I read another post where someone want $50 to let you talk to them on the phone...........well, good luck to you guys, must not feel like you've been sucessful enough without a message board whose members all have a hobby in common.

I have damn near 30 years experience working metal, build some of the fastest cars around. No Busch or Winston cup team would have you hang a body on their cars unless you knew what the hell you were doing. But you know what.......I'm no prema donna, I'll give anyone who ask as many tip on what I do and what I know.....for free. And know what else.......I've come to realize that if your heart is in the right place, the more you give the more you are given.

Well, nuff a my ventin..........
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:38 PM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

Wow someone actually trying to get paid to give the information that on here for free now you know something gone wrong. hell if anyone needs help, i'll try my best if you feel that you need someone to talk over the phone instead of going read post, post, wait for reply, read post...etc hell i'll give you my number, it your bill and i'll try my best to help you out. But thats fked up that someone would do that though.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:39 PM   #3
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

here here

Well put.

Old 11-26-2002, 10:45 PM   #4
JHickson6
I Love This Stuff!

damn straight!

My Rides
1967 C10 In Pieces for now
1985 Ford B700 SourPuss Bus - BIG BLUE
2003 Silverado CITY WORKER YELLOW!!
JHickson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:53 PM   #5
Primered_69

Information should be for free on a board like this.

However, I can understand why the gauge guy would not want to give away his technique on doing the gauges if he is going to try to make a business out of it. Because probably it is real simple but took him a cash outlay to figure out.
There are some things that people should have the right to keep to themselves if they chose. Now that said this board might not be the right place to do market research on a project.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-26-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I'll Pay!

Now, there are two sides to every story...If one of you comes up with a new product & I like it, I will gladly pay for your time & knowledge, so I can get/buy the item from you. I won't try and get you to tell me how you developed it...and I won't try to do it myself to beat you out of a few bucks. I also will/do share a lot of information on here, but I am not going to give away the "keys to the ranch". There are some things I don't share with my customers or competitors. Am I a bad guy?
Old 11-26-2002, 10:56 PM   #7
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Ebfabman,
I saw that post too. I get alot of PM's about tips on interior work and never hesitate to help. That's the main purpose of these boards. To gain some knowledge and share some knowledge.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:13 PM   #8
69sixpackbee

Hey 70c10...loved Perry Hall! I lived for about a year-and-a-half in Belcamp but only after I almost settled in a place in Forest Hill.
I was born and raised here in so. Cal but I would move back to Harford county in a heartbeat!! How ironic..we have a Bel Air here too but the one here is much more "uppity up" and the majority of it's residents are stuck-up a**holes!!
I used to cruise all over the area. Used to go to the "Big M" in Churchville regularly...maybe you saw my Bee there.
Take care!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:16 PM   #9
cableguy0

super bee ur not missing much i live only a few minutes from 70c/10 and am in belair fairly often same stuck up people trust me.there have been a lot of 500,000 to 1,000,000 dollar homes popping up all over belair
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:21 PM   #10
ebfabman

PICKMUP, "I won't try to do it myself to beat you out of a few bucks" Really??? Guess that counts for everything but old truck parts, eh?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:27 PM   #11
Mike C

Good call. Besides, lots of time people want to know how to do something, and they will pay to have it done anyhow, they just don't have time or skill even if they have the knowledge. Some people just aren't going to buy from you whether you share the wealth or not. I'm always happy (too happy?) to share what knowledge I have. Karma. That guy'll get his.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:33 PM   #12
DanoDMano
Pronounced "Pew-al-up"

This board attracted me because of all the other
enthusiasts, and a common interest.. COOL TRUCKS!!

There is always someone here that has gone through
the same problems, and their help is often a lifesaver.

If making money is what you want to do there is another site.. Its called E-Bay.....

1970 FS chevy,350/350, Edelbrock cam and intake. Holley 650 carb,HEI,AT,Tangier Orange, 18's,
Power Locks,

Truck Photos
DanoDMano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:33 PM   #13
Durney

Easy there folks

It seems that if you read it correctly I TOLD the guy to go with the 400 over the 383. PERIOD.

As far as the 50.00 comment well that was OBVIOUSLY tongue in cheek.... but if I was about to drop my hard earned cash on an engine and I found a Professional builder with an outstanding reputation willing to give me a "blueprint " for success well then who's the idiot here? Hell I'll tell you what Have the guy on the other message contact me directly and I'll do it for free......

And pickemup and primered 69 understand the real world a little better when it comes to what you do for a living....

And as far as Winston Cup sheet metal well I got news for you just TRY to get close enough to measuring some of those body lines without an inspectors credentials......

Yeah I'm no prima donna just a guy who gets upset over the little guy getting BS info from a magazine or someone with out proper testing under his belt.....
Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:40 PM   #14
bigjimzlll

oh hell let people ask for the cash....I know I wont pay(probably) there has been times when I would of gladly paid to get the CORRECT info, instead of spending tons on bogus info. I know I will give freely of any info I have, and I get excited to learn any thing.

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:44 PM   #15
ebfabman

Durney, "And as far as Winston Cup sheet metal well I got news for you just TRY to get close enough to measuring some of those body lines without an inspectors credentials......"

Well, I do it every day. No one would pay $15,000 to nearly $20,000 to hang a body unless you could "measure those body lines" ...........
Old 11-26-2002, 11:54 PM   #16
cableguy0

well durney i dont mean to knock u off off ur high horse but there a lot of people on this board with miles of credentials and none of them have ur sh!tty attitude.efabman has done some things with metal that i never knew were possible. he is truly a magician with metal and for u to say he is not is just plain ignorant. just because u have a degree in internal combusion engines dont mean sh!t ur not better than anyone else on this board.im 18 yrs old and have a lot to learn but the knowledge i have i try to share with the great people on this board. i worked with one of the best engine builders i have ever seen or known of. he never charged anyone for info and was always more than happy to help someone whether they bought something from him or not.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.

Last edited by cableguy0; 11-27-2002 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:09 AM   #17
Durney

efab - my point exactly.... you have a template to follow thats all there is to it. I am quite sure you know youre way around and english wheel. No offense was intended just that I have a fair # of friends in Mooresvile and I always hear the same thing.... this is the latest rules bender (pun intended) and I am quite sure you are under contract not to discuss this if you work for any of the major players. The cars are brought up here to the "fan" at the Tech center and I get to hear their story also.... again its about the BODY tweaks....

cableguy - I dont see where I said anything about efab personnally...?
Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:15 AM   #18
ebfabman

You have a weird way of making your points.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:19 AM   #19
cableguy0

efab im a bit confused too after all that now hes agreeing with you
Old 11-27-2002, 12:36 AM   #20
Piston
Account Suspended

I enjoy my line of work 100% which is why I Love coming here and seeing a new problem someone is asking about. I'll give them my full attention in solving the problem! Would I ask to recieve money for my knowledge? Thought never crossed my mind to tell you the truth. They way I figure it is like this.

In the real world I'll help fellow workers/friends/family but I dont go out advertising free advice/knowledge on how to fix thier cars. I've paid my due's in the automotive world and now im beginning to see the benifits of it all. I can't afford to just tell every guy I see having trouble exactly whats wrong and how to fix it... I'd be out of business.

BUT, this place is different... I concider everyone here a friend therefore I actually look forward to helping someone solve a problem. Charge a friend for advice? nah...
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 01:36 AM   #21
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I have gotten lots of free advice from everyone on this board and tried to help others as well. ebfabman has been incredibly generous with his time and posts and I can't say enough good about him. The same goes for Durney! I hunted him down after his first post when it became apparent the guy had some serious knowledge about engines. He spent over an hour on the phone with me dispensing all kinds of valuable knowledge, all for free. I would not hesitate to pay either of these guys for their help or knowledge...just not sure what I would do with it once I got it...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 01:41 AM   #22
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Opinions and frustrations noted

Common ya'll can't we all just get along? j/k No really man efabman was just speaking his mind. It should not lead to a post full of "my D!(K is bigger than yours!" Who cares just agree to disagree man and let it go. Everyone I've talked to on here has been really cool! So if you wanna argue or see who's the smartest go to a chess website and go nutz! Otherwise, just AGREE TO DISAGREE an move on. Ya'll have a nice day.

Old 11-27-2002, 02:55 AM   #23
guypm

I could use a little technical help if anyone is willing. hers's my deal. im not very experienced in tuning. I just got my truck back from the painter and it looks great. I'll post pics when i learn how to resize the photos. What my deal is is that it was at the painters place for 6 months without being ran regularly. When i brought it in, it was running fine. Now, it spits,sputters and coughs. Ive dumped the gas tank and started again with good premium. I know the timing is a little off and will set the total timing to 38 tomorrow. When just reving the motor, it'll spit or cough. When you get out on the road, it does a lot better at wide open throttle, but coughs a time or two on the way to wide open throttle. I have a 750 dp holley which i think is a bit much and will change when i recover financially from the paint job. Any ideas on what to look for here ? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Guy

anybody wanna trade a 650 dp for a 750 dp Holley ?
guypm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:57 AM   #24
guypm

oh yeah,
i wiped off the distributer cap on the inside but it seemed dry. I dont see any vac hoses loose either
GUy
guypm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:06 AM   #25
Piston
Account Suspended

Are you running points or HEI?
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote