The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

question for swap meet guys

I have so much stuff its starting to get way out of hand. No super rare or real pristine stuff, but after watching the for sale board here it seems there is a market for darn near anything we pull off these rigs. Some of the stuff makes me shake my head "someone actually will pay money for that?"

The thing I hate about swap meets is dickering for price. Last meet in Monroe I was looking for a set of mirrors for my 4x4. I bumped into Frank at a booth that had a set I wanted and thank goodness he dickered the guy down for me I usually ask the price and if its reasonable to me I buy it. If not, I walk.

Knowing how much I hate to dicker, if I decide to get a booth and sell my stuff can I just price it all as price is firm? (thats what I would like to do). Or do I have to put prices higher just so someone can be happy they beat me down?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
GREASEMONKEY72

Re: question for swap meet guys

i say put the price on it you think is fair and say that all prices are final kinda thing

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
cdowns

i tell people i think my prices are very fair prices for that item and the price set for now but if they check back at 1oclock i might come down some// i start packing up at 1130 and am out of there shortly after 12 once something is packed to go home its not for sale anymore period
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I price my stuff to sell and that`s what I tell them.I price it where I know they`ll see it for more most other spaces.This is on regular stuff that can be found easy enough.I just want it gone and want money to take home.I`d lower the price if they wanted alot of this stuff.The idea is to get it gone.With highly sought after stuff,I price what I know it`s worth and I don`t care if I take it back home 100 times.Sooner or later I`ll get the price and these things can sell on Ebay,here,anywhere.I tell low-ballers,"Go find another".
Alot of vendors do price things up and figure on the dicker.It`s a game.Good prices lure them in,that`s what makes it work for me.Don`t feel bad being a hard head.It`s fun!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
manimal

If you are worried about dickering, set yor prices a few buck higher than what you'll take. Then let them talk you down to your price. Then they feel like they got a deal!
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

I like messing with people. If I am asking $10 for something, and someone asks "how much will you take for it?" I say $15 !! That usually gets their attention. Then you explain that your price is fair, and that this isn't "let's make a deal" !!
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
jamie72

i always like getting a deal on parts?(who dosen`t??) i set my prices a few bucks more, just so i get what i want out of the part and the buyer gets a good deal, you will be surprised how many times where a guy you give a deal, will metion he has some parts to sell, and sometimes you get a deal in return..

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Mark, If Frank buys all your parts...you know you priced them too cheap...JK Frank!

Are you going to join the local '67-'72 booth(s) at Monroe?
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stllookn View Post
Mark, If Frank buys all your parts...you know you priced them too cheap...JK Frank!

Are you going to join the local '67-'72 booth(s) at Monroe?

Are a bunch of guys getting booths together?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
stllookn

Mark, We are trying to arrange to get two booths side by side so we can have a place to hang out, barbeque, drink beer and move a few parts. Most of us don't have enough parts for one booth and just want to have a central location so we can both shop and sell. We figure there will always be someone to watch the booth so the others can shop. I will bring more lawn chairs than parts...LOL!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Hmm I may get in on this...I have a ton of 50th stuff I wanna get rid of for crazy high prices...lol, just pulling your leg.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 AM   #12
stllookn

There was a link in another area (NW or Swapmeets) but it appears to have been scrubbed for some reason. Americanrider, Livrat, Bob Moore and Billa were interested as well as a couple of others that I can't remember. We might be able to do it with one large booth but we could always do two to accomodate more chairs, coolers and the barbeque...LOL!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
Huck

Guys to to swap meets to find parts and bargins. Price 10-15% over your bottom dollar and that will give you room to move then gives them an opportunity to dicker as to many, that is half the fun of going to a swap meet.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
JJ
Lurking Member

I price the stuff I'm selling at the price I'll take. Since I'm usually off wandering around the swap meet, and one of my kids is "minding the store", it saves them selling a fuel injected big block for $40 bucks. I don't like to pretend I'm in Tijuana and see how low I can get the price, I look at the price, if it's more than I want to pay, I move on.
The swapmeet in Portland is this weekend, see you there!!

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #15
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

A little "dickering" room on prices creates some good conversations and good relations. Cold hard "firm" prices and attitudes cause hard feelings and just make people move on. Remember, it is the same group of people at these swap meets, over and over. You may meet them again when they have something you would like.
Stay loose, don't say absolutely "NO". Invite them back to make an offer at the end of the day. You don't want to take all that crap back home, unless you are just putting it "on tour"
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
bagged91
Out draggin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
A little "dickering" room on prices creates some good conversations and good relations. Cold hard "firm" prices and attitudes cause hard feelings and just make people move on. Remember, it is the same group of people at these swap meets, over and over. You may meet them again when they have something you would like.
Stay loose, don't say absolutely "NO". Invite them back to make an offer at the end of the day. You don't want to take all that crap back home, unless you are just putting it "on tour"

My feelings exactly... I try to price anything I sell at a fair price. Somethings are hard to guage a price on but I still try to be fair. I always leave myself open to offers. Some of my best customers have been buying parts from me for 5 or more years...

Case in point... At Cowtown, I had a truck AM/FM with speaker(hooked up & playing) for $245, nice truck tilt for $200 and a nice tach dash & harness needing a new bezel for $225. I dropped to $220 on the radio & it sold. Guy came back 10 minutes later with his buddy & I sold him the tilt & tach for $380. They came back later in the day with another buddy and bought the dealer underdash A/C and some other misc. parts.
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #17
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Thanks for all the replies guys. When is the Monroe swap meet? I may have to take a day or two off work to get my stuff ready if this is the route I'm going to go. I will find out tomorrow if another project car is coming into my life. If it dose all my truck stuff is going. Will keep just enough to finish up my 4x4 and my panel. I will probably keep those forever...well unless someone offers me up the right amount of cash...=)
Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #18
msgross

I think it's part of the game to haggle a little. A fair price is a fair price I agree, but it doesn't hurt to try. Most vendors don't make money when they take stuff home either (depending on the part).
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #19
corn

Just remember, its just one of the things that goes with a swap meet. Ive gotten deals by asking & some shake their heads no. Cant hurt to ask & even if you put FIRM on all your prices, you will still hear offers of less ALL day long. Tell them no if you dont want it & wait for the next guy.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #20
Bob Moore

As a buyer and a seller, I have some experience. Mostly as a buyer. I have a pretty good idea if the asking price is fair. If it is lower than I expect, I don't haggle. We all want a good(better) deal but maybe that guy has something you want next time. Treat him nice and maybe he'll cut you a deal next time. Most of us are known to each other and also know a lot of sellers from the swap meet circuit. Most of the sellers are regulars and even wind up in the same spot year after year.

The new or inexperienced seller is the one you want to find. They may not be up on their prices and may also have goods that are rare(have not been out on tour as we like to say). I know I sold somethings way too cheap at my first meet. A set of hubcaps that were laying around Mom's house I sold for $25.00 only to see them in another booth for $80 and marked SOLD. Guy tripled his money at my loss. I was very happy with the $25 but $80 would have made me much happier.
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #21
Captain Knievel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. When is the Monroe swap meet? I may have to take a day or two off work to get my stuff ready if this is the route I'm going to go. I will find out tomorrow if another project car is coming into my life. If it dose all my truck stuff is going. Will keep just enough to finish up my 4x4 and my panel. I will probably keep those forever...well unless someone offers me up the right amount of cash...=)
Just saw americanrider posted and the Monroe thread is back ttt in the NW forum.

Last edited by Captain Knievel; 04-26-2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: forgot how to spell Monroe
Captain Knievel is offline   Reply With Quote