The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Driveshaft question

Against my advice a customer had me install a 12" lift on his 91 K5 blazer I'm not really a 4X4 guy but I know this is a bad idea with the stock 1/2 ton running gear. I've got the lift and steering installed and now it's time for driveshafts. Anyone in particular you guys use? These things are at a crazy angle so I'm guessing it's going to require some custom shafts and I wanted to check with the members here before I start looking for someone to build them. Also, when he starts breaking differentials and has to change over to something beefier will the same driveshafts work or will he have to get new ones built to match the new diffs? TIA.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
84lwb

Re: Driveshaft question

A friend of mine had an 87 blazer,8 inch lift,3 inch body lift.he got a kit to drop the transfer case down,not sure of how much but that did correct the angle of driveshafts some.not sure about the rest but hope this helps some!
84lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Driveshaft question

You have a real problem with this one..........
IIRC this is a NP208 truck, with a slip-yoke in the rear. That makes it worse. The front is bad enough, you may have to change the CV joint on the upper end. I can't remember which style is on that year......Even if it is the older style, there is some major clearencing required (grinding) on the inner stops.
Cutting an rotating the differential can help even more, but this is a lot of work and expence on an axle that is inadequite anyway.
The slip-yoke on the rear is a different story though. It will work with long wheelbase truck, but the very short Blazer will cause a binding problem. The driveshaft trise to pull down more that back, so the yoke doesn't slip. I think there is a conversion (slip yoke eliminator) kit available, but again more $$$.
12 inches of all suspension lift is too much for a Blazer...........but you already knew that. This guy is in deep and it will just get worse.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote