The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Hello everyone

Hey everyone. I hope all of you are doing great. I know some of the newer members won't know me from Tom's house cat but a lot of you do. I hope you all have been wondering where I have been. Well, it's been a big roller coaster for me. You name it, I probably have been through it. Biggest thing is my marriage of 20 years is coming to an end. I am separated and have been since the middle of June. I am living in the city and have no where at all to work on the truck.

Last thing I left here saying was I was going to do a frame off on it. I started tearing it down and then things went haywire and well, I am now living by myself if you can get my drift. I won't go into what happened but I am doing fine. As a matter of fact, I am happier now than I have been in quite a few years. So all is good on the home front.

Now back to the truck. I have absolutely no desire to put it back together. I have no desire to finish it. Before I started tearing it apart all it needed to be complete was a paint job. Then I got this wild idea to do a frame off. Wrong thing for me to start at that point in my life. So now I got everything on the front end took off and have no desire to put it back on. I am not going to as a matter of fact. I plan on selling it in pieces. Those who know me know what I have done. I have a ton of money in this thing and it pains me to do this but I am going to. I have got to get it gone from my old shop since the soon to be ex still lives there.

I was going to subscribe to the board again so I could sell stuff here but since I was one of the founding members, I was given a free subscription. So, in the coming weeks expect to have some very nice stuff for sale by me. I have some custom stuff I have built myself along with some other performance parts. Really, I have a ton of stuff to get rid of. Very very nice stuff too. This stuff will be going at a deal. I'm not trying to make a bunch of money here. Just trying to get rid of it and make someone else as happy to have it as I was.

Anyway, I really have missed you guys. I used to love nothing better than to come here and chat with all my 73-87 truck buddies. It sure is funny how things go in your life sometimes. Oh well. As they say, that is life.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Re: Hello everyone

man mike, sorry to hear about all the trouble

if there is anything we can do just let us know. i'm sure a lot of us on here would be glad to help out anyway we could(atleast the ones that remember you)

sorry to hear about the truck, its always been one of my favorites, if i lived closer i would come put it back together for you
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Eyegore
What Hump?

I remember you to Mike, you were one of the first ones to welcome me to the board. I to am sorry to hear how things have gone for you, and I'm sorry that your going to sell your truck espically in peices. You were one of the many truck gurus hear on the board that i looked to for advice and direction. Well keep your chin up tomorrows anohter day.

tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
C&C Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbaud View Post
if i lived closer i would come put it back together for you
Pretty much echoes my sentiments too.

Mike your old site was one of the first 73-87 dedicated sites I came across many years ago. Your old site and your advice over the years have been invaluable. Hope you still come around after your truck is gone.

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Chevy View Post
Pretty much echoes my sentiments too.

Mike your old site was one of the first 73-87 dedicated sites I came across many years ago. Your old site and your advice over the years have been invaluable. Hope you still come around after your truck is gone.
ditto, i still use the site!

your truck will always live on. i still have the helwig rear sway and shocks on mine that i bought from you. and just got done installing my autometer gauges just like you.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

Maaan Mike, I don't know what to say. Sorry to hear about the events in your life, and sorry to hear about the truck. You truck is one of the nicest on the board, and an inspiration to many I am sure. If I lived closer I would be there in a heartbeat (no pun intended) to help you get it re-assembled so you could either keep it or sell it as a whole. You know my number, please use it and stay in touch.

Oh, and thanks for having faith in me to carry on 73-87.com! I have really enjoyed adding to the already great database of info...hopefully I have lived up to yours and others expectations. It is funny, to this day don't call it "my" site...I feel it it still part yours and everyone elses who contributes towards it or uses it.

STAY IN TOUCH!

Last edited by bigblock73; 09-10-2007 at 06:12 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I have a database of everything I have ever done to it. Every piece and price. I have over 20 grand in the damn thing. I know some will say no way but yes way. No way I feel like adding the thousands it would take in a paint job to make it complete. It's just not something I feel like doing right now. If I run up on someone local who wants it like it is and will put it back together themselves, pay me a fair price for it, it's gone. If not, I'm selling it the best way I can, on here or Ebay. I have done things to my truck no one else has or will do. Eric, if you done the gauges like mine, congrats. As far as I know, you are the second person besides me to do it. My bucket seats and the console/speaker box I built is a one off deal. I have the whole range of performance parts along with appearance stuff. Disc brakes etc. and on and on.

I will be writing up a list of items along with prices I want out of it. I will post it on the classifieds and see how it goes. That is if I can't get it gone as a whole local. My son knows a bunch of young guys who he says would love to have it. It might get gone that way. We shall see.

Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Mike, don't know ya man, haven't been here long enough to, but you bet if you were in my area I'd be in yer garage every day after work turning wrenches and helping ya put the truck back together. Sorry to hear about the mishaps in yer life, but what is important is that you are now happier - I believe that it don't really matter what we go through, as long as where we're heading for is better than where we left from. Also the fact you don't have a running truck don't mean you still can't hang out here, so the way I see it it's post-whoring time for ya
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeff,

when I was thinking about turning the site over to someone else, I wanted to make sure it would go on. I had too much time and hard work in it to just let it die. I had several offers and when you stepped up and said you would like to do, it was a given for me. You are as dedicated to these trucks as I ever was. I knew you would do 73-87.com a great justice and you have. You have made it better than it was when I had it. If you never do anything do me one favor. Don't let it die. If you get tired of it, find someone like I did to take it over. It's like a child to me if you know what I mean.

I thank you my friend. You have made me very proud to be a part of the site. All of you 73-87 truck guys should be proud. I have never been involved in something so much fun. There has never been a better bunch of people to be around than fellow truck people. Keep up the good job you all do of being decent folks. When I see things going on in the world of people being jerks I think man, you all need to buy a old truck and join a message board. You would quickly see how it is to be involved with a very nice bunch of guys who love what they are doing. I for one am very proud to know all of you even if it is only on a message board. I have met a few of you in person and wouldn't take anything for the memories.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike, I was just thinking about you last week when Eric brought up his gauge install. Everyone said are you going to do it "Mike's way". Of course the older forum members knew exactly what that meant after closely watching you document each step of that build.

I think you know how I feel about your personal situation, but I have to tell you I am sorry that things are falling apart for such a good hearted person.

I wish I could find a direct quote of yours, but I know you once stated don't do anything today that you will regret tomorrow. There will come a time when your inspiration for your truck will be renewed. If there is any way possible you should keep your truck.

You may not feel the motivation to restore it now, but I'll bet a plug nickel that the day will come you will.

Regardless of your decision, you will be in my prayers. If you need anything don't hesitate to reach out....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #11
boatpuller

hey mike.........hope it all works out for you.always looked forward to your comments.it became obvious to me in the beginning you were a stand up dude that knew these trucks....hang in there man.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #12
bigblock79
67 Chevy Stepside

mike i dont know that much about you . but you sound to be a great person and i wish i could buy that truck but i know it will be past my $.

so i all i can do is say a prayer for you and thank you for being a great 73-87 man .

i hope you life turns for the better. you know you reap what you sow. and i know you sow good seeds and it will come back to you 10 fold. thanks mike
1976 BIG DOOLEY 454 turbo 400 4:11
bigblock79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #13
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Sorry to hear about the events in your life, and sorry to hear about the truck, I hope it all works out for you. I have a request though, If it wouldn't be too much trouble, is there any chance you would be able to pass along the axle codes for the rear end gears that are on the the passenger side axle tube, about 3 - 6 inches out from the center section on the front side, the 3 letter/number code, hand die punched into the tube? I remember you helped me with mine once, and I'd like to go hunting for a different rear end with a different gear ratio, I think the codes would be great help, thanks!

Last edited by Rc 415; 09-10-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Rc 415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #14
Crush

Sorry to hear it Mike....your truck has always inspired me. I myself don't get on near as much as I used to....due to some of the same reasons. Hope all is well.

If you decide to part out the "Mike's Way" gauge bezel....I'd love to give it a home in my project.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #15
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Sorry to hear the bad news , I've been reading ALL your posts since the time at Chevy Talk and that's been a few years but i've always admired your Honesty and that Bad A$$ truck of yours hope everything plays out for you, and if I had the cash i'd buy that truck in a heartbeat
Keep the Faith...
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 AM   #16
moneyeater

Mike - i started to get my truck back together when i found "YOUR" site on the internet and your truck has been the inspiration to carry on even though there were big and small troubles in my life! You and my truck were there for me! Now it´s time to be there for you! Keep up and think over again about selling that beautifull truck!Store it in somewhere and forget about it untill you feel like getting it back together.I did just that and now some 13 years later it is allmost done!
Yours Moneyeater
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #17
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

You'll always be my truck hero!! I'm inspired every time I see your truck. I have done so much to mine. Someday I'll finish it.

My only regret is that I never got a ride in it.

Not to be insensitive, but I'll be drooling to get my hands on some of your stuff.

Last edited by gchemist; 09-11-2007 at 03:40 AM.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #18
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow Re: Hello everyone

Mike, sorry for your personal loss i went through that 7 years ago and it's tough but you'll get through it.

I just wish you'd rethink this idea of getting rid of your truck it's not a good one at all and it's one you'll regret later in life trust me.

You'll never be able to replace it with one thats as nice when you do decide to get another one but what ever you do then thats up to you and only you know whats right for you right now so hang in there and it will only get better from here on.

Good luck.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I was talking to you the other day with Patrick (if you remember him) I think your came up when I was talking to N2TRUX also. I didn't expect to hear this though.
No chance on putting it back together huh? How much do you have the whole thing for sale locally?
It is sad to hear about your marriage, but unfortunately sometimes it is the best. I am glad you are happier and I wish you all the best and I hope you keep in touch. BTW, feel free to post your stuff on my forum also. I still have your old username. If you plan to post it there, shoot me an email and I will reset your password (we moved the forums). Don't be a stranger you have your 73-87 family here...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I'm sorry to hear about the direction things are going for you Mike. I really hope that it all works out for the best.

I'm really sorry to see you leaving the 73-87 scene. I was looking at your old site for ideas when I was looking for a truck way back when. I have had the truck for 6 1/2 years, so that was a while back. BTW, you are right in that Jeff was the perfect choice for a person to take it over...

I think I understand your decision. Since my father died, I have inherited all of his unfinished projects, most od which are way cooler than mine, and now have more than I can finish in my lifetime. I have actually (briefly, but more than once...) considered selling mine since I no longer have the time or money to spend on it like it needs.

Like others, I suggest that you not sell the truck yet. It seems like a good idea today, but it might not seem like such a good idea tomorrow. Store it for a year if you can afford to, and see how you feel then. If it still seems like a good idea once you have your life a little better sorted out, it probably is.

Slonaker
Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #21
Ric83

Wow Mike, that is horrible to hear. You are deffinately an ispiration to many, including myself. When I firts got my truck, your site what the first thing that I came across. Seeing your truck and reading through all of the projects you had completed on it was awesome. From there I was led to Chevy Talk and then here. Everytime I saw you had posted, I would read it with much excitement as a little kid listening to his grandfather talking about his war stories or something of the likes. Not saying you are old, lol, just that I have the utmost respect for you even though I only know you online. I wish you the best on your new path in life. I have always been a firm believer in that things happen for a reason. Although we may not understand what those reasons are at the time, I am sure life has plenty of great things in store for you as you have been a great individual. I know I may not be able to do much, but whatever I can, I will do. Although we do not know each other in person, feel free to ask if you need anything at all.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #22
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Let's buy lotto tickets. Buy it, put it back together and give it back to Mike.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #23
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Everybody else here has said it, but the 73-87.com site was the first one I came across 5 years ago when I got my truck. Part of the reason I've kept it as long as I have it in part due to being inspired by what you did to your truck. I have to add that you made it sound pretty easy as well. I would go as far as to say that the respect that 73-87 Chevys get is due in large part to you and your website. It's funny to talk like this since I've never talked to you online or off, but I've read an awful lot of the stuff you've written.

I hate to see that you're leaving, but you know what's best for you. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #24
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

Mike,

You've been an inspiration to me since I first started with my Dad's old truck around 5 years ago. It's the GMC version of yours (same year and color). I've never had the pleasure of meeting you personally, but I feel somehow like I know you. I still use the "old" site and I've probably read 'most everything you've written on here. I can't offer you any personal advice, but I can relate to what you're going through. Best of luck and I hope things work out great for you!

My Dad's Old Truck
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #25
twoodson

DAMN!!! Mike I am sorry to hear about that, this is tcwoodson1 from Lancaster and I was going to ship you the parts & money to build me an autometer gauge cluster like yours about 2 years ago. But the wife got laid off and so on and so on. When you ran the 73-87.com it was only website that i found were you listed every part, part#, etc that you put on your truck. Mike you are a legend no matter what, the blood, sweat, tears, and the inspiration that you have given me is priceless. When I see you're truck i look at how Eric is doing something to his truck almost every week. You keep your head up and I will definetly put you on my prayer list at church because the knowledge that you have shared to this board is priceless. Could you PM me your contact info and also keep in contact on the board. Stay strong Brotha....
twoodson is offline   Reply With Quote