The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Green Monster

For those that have replaced carpet...

Has anyone replaced the thin "tar-like" material that was installed under the carpet at the factory and was designed to absorb sound vibrations in the floorboards? I'm purchasing all the material to install new carpet and found this item on www.brotherstrucks.com. I see my 72 Blazer has the original "tar-like" material still installed but it is many pieces as it has cracked over the years. So I'm thinking of replacing the "tar-like" material with new "tar-like" material along with the installation of heat resistant carpet padding/insulation in the front and rear section of my Blazer.

Does anyone see benefit in installing the aforementioned "tar-like" material other than to restore the Blazer to original specs or should I just get rid or it.? The advertisement on Brothers Trucks website indicates the "tar-like" material absorbs moisture which could prevent rust. I'm a bit skeptical of that claim. Cars that are manufactured today do not have this material installed under the carpet anymore so I'm under the impression it serves little, if any, benefit.

"tar-like"material-->

insulation/padding-->
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
lookingtobuy

Re: For those that have replaced carpet...

Hey GM, Do a little research first, the guy next door to me has a restored 1952 triumph mayflower, it looks like a rolls royce that was left in the dryer

It rattled and had lots of road noise, he installed DYNAMAT throw out and it made a BIG difference. I've been contemplating doing my truck to get rid of that "Sheetmetal" noise. Good Luck!!

1952 Mayflower
Attached Images

lookingtobuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
CJ5 Convert

I don't know what the benefits are but I can tell you to go to NAPA and get some of there adhesive remover and get in a well ventilated area with no sparks. Cause thats the only thing that got rid of that junk in mine. Of course it also stripped it down to primer in certain places. :LOL:
CJ5 Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

From what I have heard, the original sound/heat barrier contains asbestos, so be careful with it...
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I'm sure you can lay the new carpet right over the sheet metal, but you are going to like the quieter ride and better insulation that the dynamat will provide. If you are doing a nice interior, you may want to invest in the insulation material.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Green Monster

Thanks for advice and warning about the asbestos. Sounds like more insulation is better. I'm definitely going to install sound insulation. I was just wondering if I should skip the replacement of the "tar-like" material or follow through with replacing it. The rear already has Dynamat which was installed by the previous owner. I ordered the infamous "tar-like" material along with the jute/foil insulation. As for the new stuff, here's what I will have from sheet metal to carpet.

Front
1. Original white foam
2. Jute padding/insulation with heat deflective foil backing
3. New replacement "tar-like" sound deadener
4. Jute padding
5. Carpet

Rear:
1. Dynamat
2. Jute padding/insulation with heat deflective foil
3. Carpet

Personally, I would not have installed the Dynamat as it is not originally how the Blazer was built, but neither is the extra jute padding with heat reflective foil that I am adding.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
old man jimmy

My guess on your "tar like material" is that it was once a form of rubber. I know I had mine up when it was only a couple years old, and it was soft and pliable. Smoth on topside and had extra rubber to fill in the contours of the bed on bottom side. A suggestion on putting carpet over your bare bed. I'd put something in there under it to try to level out the ridges, or I think it will wear on the edges of them. Even good carpet pad might work, better than nothing. Forgot to note. Mine wasn't stuck to the floor at all. Just laying on top. So may be something that happens over the years.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There were factory mats that went in front and behind the rear seat, under the carpet or rubber mat (depending on what you truck came with) to level out the bed ridges. Mine has them under the factory rubber matting. In the cab area, it has the "tar-like" substance.

I've seen the "leveling" mats for sale on the board in the past. I would think that you could also just get one rubber pickup-bed mats from the JC Whittney or your local Schucks or Joes and cut it to fit. It's gonna be covered by the carpet anyway, right.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #9
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man jimmy View Post
My guess on your "tar like material" is that it was once a form of rubber. I know I had mine up when it was only a couple years old, and it was soft and pliable. Smoth on topside and had extra rubber to fill in the contours of the bed on bottom side. A suggestion on putting carpet over your bare bed. I'd put something in there under it to try to level out the ridges, or I think it will wear on the edges of them. Even good carpet pad might work, better than nothing. Forgot to note. Mine wasn't stuck to the floor at all. Just laying on top. So may be something that happens over the years.
I know exactly what your talking about. I have the rubber in the bed section. That is still there and still pliable. The "tar-like" material, as described by Brothers, is located in the front section. I will definitely keep the materials and layering as close to original as possible with the addition of more jute padding. I will photograph the process and materials removed and replaced when the job gets started.

Good thought about the rubber keeping the floor nice and even in the rear. That material is going to stay.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
crzngmychvy
"1972 C5"

I'm just posting because I wanted to write "'tar-like' material".
Old 09-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
herb101
Used Register

The "tar-like" material is actually a vibration dampener and panel stiffener. It is an asphalt based material and is sometimes found in strips about 2" wide. I've also seen it on the inside surface of door skins in just a simple strip - nowhere even close to full coverage. What is does is interupt the resonance of the metal skin to kill the 'ringing' that would otherwise happen. You can get a similar effect with "ice dam" material that is also a self-adhesive asphalt based material used in roofing. If you are that far down, I would replace it. Anything to kill the "inside of a tin can" sound affect is a plus in my book.

Oh - and since it's being replaced, it's re-tar(e)d.

Herb
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #12
old man jimmy

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the back. But thanks guys. You gave me my first laugh of the night. I like to post "tar like material" also. I'm new at this but you all seem to be a great bunch of guys, with a lot of talent to tackle some to the iron I've seen on here. See ya.

Last edited by old man jimmy; 09-15-2007 at 11:31 PM.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote