The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2002, 12:05 PM   #1
sam's 72

Post question about brakes?

I am going to replace my intire brake system on my 72, power booster master cylinder, all the way down to the rotors and drums, new brake lines, every thing. Who has the best parts for these trucks, I am not looking at whos has the cheapest, but the best as far as quality goes! Also, why does the brake fluid turn black as motor oil sitting in the master cylinder? Is there a brand of brake fluid out there that does not do this? I usually just use regular brake fluid, and man, my master clynder looks like someone poured burny motor oil in it, its not thick, just blacl and very nasty looking!
Sam
Old 05-14-2002, 03:05 PM   #2
sam's 72

come on guys, I know some one here has the answers I am looking for!
Sam
Old 05-14-2002, 04:13 PM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

For brake parts I like NAPA. Not to much on these trucks that they don't stock or can't get the next day. As far as the color of your brake fluid,I would bet that if you drain some out in a glass, it is rust colored,not black. That is just the nature of an old brake system. The brake fluid absorbs mosture and will rust every thing in the system. If you replace every thing, including the lines, the rust will slow down some. If it is going to be a show truck and spend more time in the garage than on the street,you might think about silicone brake fluid. It does not absorb water,does not cause things to rust,and will not hurt your paint. If it is so good why doesn't every body use it? Well first off it does not work as good as regular brake fluid. It has a lower boiling point and will cause brake fade if used hard. It also is known not to work at all at high altudes,it just boils in the lines. I have used it on a Vette and my Harley,it works OK, but like I said only use it if your ride spends a lot of time in the garage. I hope this helped.

------------------
72 GMC Sierra SWB almost finished---- 84 Softail
Olive Branch MS

Old 05-14-2002, 04:31 PM   #4
Gordo

Talking

Napa works for me also, and if you flush the system every other year or so your fluid should stay clean. Pressure bleeding would be great if you know someone or someplace that has a pressure bleeder.

------------------
1971 C10 swb stepside 350/700R4/3.73posi
Killingworth, Connecticut
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:35 PM   #5
Stroker

I'm basicly replacing the same on my 72. This is my plan: Brakelines SS from inline tube, they come highly recomended by a number of board members. Front brakes Stage II from Praise Dyno Brakes, slotted rotors and pads stock type calipers. Thinking of going with the MP Brakes rear disk brake convertion including power booster and master cylinder and using the Stage I pads from Praise Dyno. MP brakes was recommended to me by John from Praise Dyno Brakes, he claims they make the best rear disk system.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:28 PM   #6
imdarren

If the fluid is black, it could be particles from that black rubber seal at the top that seals the master cylinder cover. Just an idea. Maybe I'm outa line here, but thats my guess.
Darren

------------------
Darren
Washington State
darrengale67@hotmail.com

1972 GMC C1500 (Bone Stock)
1967 Chevy C10 LWB
Looking for a 72 3/4 Ton 4x4 Cheyenne Super with little or no rust.

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 09:37 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The silicone stuff does not absorb water...instear, the water will buddle in your brake lines. (not good) Read this link if you wanna learn about brake fluids dos and don'ts. http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
E-mail longhornmail@yahoo.com
My name is Andy...not Randy...I'm in Ohio...Not Illinois...close enough?
Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
BubbaGreen

Guys, there is ALOT of brake fluid hype out
there....I have personally used SILICON DOT 5
brake fluid in my (do I dare say)...ford mustang since 1987, the car is a 1986. I flushed
the entire brake system and installed the Silicon stuff.
After 10yrs, it lost its nice purple color and turned clear...you could see the bottom
of the master cylinder....But I need to redo
the brakes...so I replaced the front pads, as well as the rear pads...flushed out all the old silicon brake fluid (original in 87) into a glass jar..and guess what, no sign of
moisture/water. It was slighty discolored.
the bleeders broke free with ease, werent rusted. the master cylinder was nice and clean. I have installed new brake pads all the way around (and yes this has discs at all four corners...its an SVO) as wel as new
silicon brake fluid...and I have had no problems what so ever!
Now then, I am redoing the brakes (entire brake system on my 71 C-10, I went with Master Power brakes on a booster/master/prop valve...I ask them about using silicon DOT5 fluid...and they said it would void the warranty...and recommend instead of silicon DOT 5 to use synthetic DOT 5.2, I cant find this stuff anywhere....So looks like the truck is gonna get VAVOLINE DOT 3/4 fluid from autozone (unless someone can recommend better)...its readily available. According to MPBrakes, the DOT 5.2 stuff is made by WAGNER, but I cant locate it anywhere, including online....
Happy braking!

------------------
71 Chevy C-10 SWB Fleetside WAS:307w/3-on-the-tree NOW:350TBI/700R4/3.73
See it at www.prismnet.com/~grzanich