The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #26
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Re: Yeah... the seat grew... thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
What would be interesting is to see a stock wheel shrunk to a smaller diameter.
I have seen the smaller original type tri-5/impala wheels and they are top notch! I would be a very interested buyer should a repro company do the same for our OE style truck wheels, put me down for two in black and one in green . Cb
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #27
tclaremont

I got the wheel installed. Took all of about 15 minutes, even without a steering wheel puller.

I don't have the horn working the way I would like, and have not figured out what I am doing wring there. I think the depth of the horn button is working against me. I will figure it out eventually, though.

I got the space I needed, all without diet and exercise.

I have two mottos:

They say it is never too late to get in shape....so what's the hurry?

And

The first three letters in diet are D I E.
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #28
jeffnohio

What Wheel did you wind up going with? I am very interested in putting on the Cavalier wheel.. Is it a direct fit or do I need something else to make it work?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #29
tclaremont

I went with the Camaro wheel. I located it on ebay for a pittance, so I figured it was worth a try.

The picture on ebay made it look grey, which I thought would work well with my grey seat and door panels. But when it arrived it was actually black. This was OK with me, becausae the steering column and dash pad are black. It looks like it belongs there with the exception of the chevy bowtie on the horn cap.

It is, of course, smaller than the original wheel, but not so small that it looks out of place. Some wheels look like they are made to be driven with handcuffs on, but this one is OK.
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #30
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Good deal! My K5 had a teeny 12" grant 3 spoke wheel and it was downright scary to drive. It promptly got swapped out for the 88-up leather chevy truck wheel.

I like the 4 spoke camaro wheels still though. Funny thing is, watch it as you spin it, you see the are not 100% round. They are slightly oval being shorter top to bottom than they are side to side. You can't see the difference just sitting there unless you put a tape measure on it. You see it when you spin the wheel back and forth.

As far as the dwarf wheels go I would think as simple as the stock truck wheel is, it wouldn't be to hard to do it. The hardest part would be finding the right 14-15" wheel to rob the rim from. Then you cut the old rim off, trim the amount needed off of the arms (while still leaving some base steel to weld back to the rim). Fill the missing plastic back in with epoxy, sand/shape the joint to the arms where it meets the rim and paint to match.

If Frizzlefry can shorten a Suburban somebody should be able to make one of these wheels....

Last edited by Zoomad75; 10-05-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #31
earl87gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatrd View Post
You need to be careful about using too small of diameter steering wheels. One of my cars failed inspection for having a 14" diameter wheel. I am not sure if you have to endure annual vehicle safety inspections like we do here in VA.
VA is only one step below Ca. when it comes to inspections. They need to let up some.