The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
moneyeater

one week of driving around......

Last week i finally got a 5 day registration and the truck ready for the street!
Monday i went to the glassservice to have the windshieldtrim installed and the to a freinds shop for dialing in the ignition and carb.What we dialed in with our ears end eyes wasn´t too far away from good and after blowing a valvecovergasket and replacing it with a rubbergasket me and my buddy drove to the automobileclub dyno!
After some carefull pulling to get the dyno moving the man hit the pedal and showed us how good my truck sounds!
He squeezed out 243.6 horsepowers and the highspeed settled at 218 kph wich is about 136 miles per hour!
That are teriffic dates,aren´t they?
The driving feels very good and smooth and the tranny works great too!
Unfortunately it looses a little oil wich i think is coming from the rear crankshaftseal and the front driverside nitrodropshock looses oil too!
Other than that every function is ok except that starting takes long when the motor is warm.Starts right up when cold.Maybe the carb is to big or just doesn´t work right?
I couldn´t get the inspection to get the registration but at least i could test everything and enjoy about 260 miles with about 25 gallons of fuel!
10.4 mpg hopefully is not what i get all the time so there´s some thinking and adjusting to do!
Name:  DSC02072 [640x480].JPG
Views: 428
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  DSC02079 [640x480].JPG
Views: 423
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  DSC02090 [640x480].JPG
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  DSC02093 [640x480].JPG
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  DSC02081 [640x480].JPG
Views: 418
Size:  69.0 KB

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Re: one week of driving around......

Congrats, I love the Front End on Your Truck.................

Look's Awsome...........

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
FlatBrokeRacing

Your truck is too smooooth...

Very cool.
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
G35MIKE

thats a nice truck!.. what kinda inspection do you have to put the truck through? What do they check? What are the rear lights under the bumper for? Rear Fog lights?

What kinda reaction do you get when ppl see your truck?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
jchav62
1962 C-10

Nice truck man!!
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
moneyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35MIKE View Post
thats a nice truck!.. what kinda inspection do you have to put the truck through? What do they check? What are the rear lights under the bumper for? Rear Fog lights?

What kinda reaction do you get when ppl see your truck?
In Germany we have bureaucratism at its finest.The technical inspection is the hardest part of getting a vehicle on the street(besides the price of fuel)!
I have to proof that the motor fits in right and the brakes can stop the truck that has now more horsepower than the old oldsdiesel.The speedo has to show the proper speed with the new wheel and tire combo and must be able to show the highest speed also.(that´ll be difficult)
The exhaust mustn´t be to loud and the wheels must be proof to carry the load of the vehicle!The lowering components have to be safe and if the tires rub the wheelwells or the bumpstops hit the frame you won´t get the legalization for the street and without that you can´t get the registration and can´t drive it!
When the inspector gives his ok then he´s responsible for the safety and that is why they wan´t everything bullitproof and extensivly tested!
In case of an accident due to the failure of one of that parts he may loose his job or has to pay for the damage!

Left is the rearfoglight and right is a backuplight and the original backuplights are the new home for the turnsignals in amber because we´re not allowed to have red turnsignals and the hazardflasher has to override the brakelight.There were some taskes to take to get everything to eurostandard!

Most poeple say: Wow looks nice!How much fuel does it burn?
9 from 10 people ask for the fuelconsumption first!

Last edited by moneyeater; 11-07-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
baknblk

awesome truck
baknblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
Alex1

Very nice - did you import the truck to Germany?
Alex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Wow, that's pretty complex. Must not be many German beaters.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
f.monroe

As far as the top speed is concerned , can you use a MSD 6AL an install a chip in the rev limiter to keep it under the rated speed on your speedo . Either that or adjust the throttle so that it only runs at 3/4 throttle . Otherwise , that is a real eyecatcher no matter what country you are in . Good Job ! Frank

By the way , what unit of measure do you buy fuel at ? Liters or gallons ? I assume liters with the price sign in the pics . Also what octane fuel do you have in Germany ?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
los-lowrider

In Germany we buy fuel in liters. Octan rating is 91, 95, 98 or 100. As you can see on the price sign above it's not cheap here. 1 liter 91 is 1,36€! That doen't realy support driving an V8.

@moneyeater
Congrats and my best wishes for the TÜV, maybe we see us on the road.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

He isnt kidding about the inspections. I was stationed in Frankfurt 89-91 and put three cars through the inspection. Being US military it was a little easier, for instance the turn signals could be red on our cars, but it was still super tough.

There are no beaters, even the military must have no rust spots where the metal has a hole in it. They ram a screwdriver into the floorboards to make sure they are sound. No exhaust leaks anywhere except the end of the tail pipe.

They told us that the manufacturer of the vehicle must dispose of it when it is unserviceable. Its rare to see anything older than ten years old in Germany, extremely rare to see a 20+ year old car or truck. I bought my 79 Formula that is now my race car in Germany, I was always getting notes under the wiper blades asking me to call if I wanted to sell it.

Los you have my sympathy for finding parts, it has to be better now than it was when I was there. Now there is internet, I had to get all my parts snail mail. A month for Summit to get the order, and a month for me to receive it through the military postal system. A starter was near impossible to find and $300 for a part that was $25 stateside.

Bahn 3 and 5 were tons of fun, and I can still draw a map of Frankfurt telling someone who has never been there how to get around, and what is fun to do or see.

Any chance you could mail me a case of 1878 or Pirmenator? Would gladly send some parts over as compensation, especially if I knew someone on base who could get it to you.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
los-lowrider

Thumpin455
What exactly do you mean with case of 1878 or Pirmenator? If we can help you find something you can't get in the States we will help!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
los-lowrider

Thumpin455
I just googled a little and found a brewery. Do you mean this brand of German beer?
http://www.parkbrauerei.de/index.php?id=13
Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

good looking truck
Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
Pyrotechnic

Amber turn signals ? That must have been quite a chore to wire in since the stock wiring makes no provision at all for that.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:11 AM   #17
bb1979

Not really just hook the flasher unit to the reverse lights and put in amber globes. We run amber over here as well. In mine the reversing lights override the flashers. BTW sweet looking ride you got there

Last edited by bb1979; 11-08-2007 at 03:13 AM.
bb1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #18
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by los-lowrider View Post
Thumpin455
I just googled a little and found a brewery. Do you mean this brand of German beer?
http://www.parkbrauerei.de/index.php?id=13
That would be the stuff! I miss that beer, one of them is like a six pack here in the states, and it isnt like wasser.. 1878 is another local brewery in Frankfurt, I just cant drink the swill we have here anymore. I know where the good beer is.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #19
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: one week of driving around......

Thats a fine lookin' long bed,
You have alot to be proud of and that look of content on your face shows it

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
moneyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
Very nice - did you import the truck to Germany?
No,the previous owner imported the truck from california in 1992 and gave it to the dealer i bought it from.I think he had to much trouble with the 350 diesel and when i bought it i had no clue about the problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthewabbit View Post
Wow, that's pretty complex. Must not be many German beaters.
No,there are no german beaters because you have to go to the inspection every two years and if something´s wrong you have 4 weeks time to fix it before you show it again and be streetlegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
As far as the top speed is concerned , can you use a MSD 6AL an install a chip in the rev limiter to keep it under the rated speed on your speedo . Either that or adjust the throttle so that it only runs at 3/4 throttle . Otherwise , that is a real eyecatcher no matter what country you are in . Good Job ! Frank

By the way , what unit of measure do you buy fuel at ? Liters or gallons ? I assume liters with the price sign in the pics . Also what octane fuel do you have in Germany ?
If i can´t get my original speedo to go i´ll try to find a kph unit from the canadian models or get an aftermarket speedo from Autometer!
The german Autobahn is fun to go with 100 mph when its dry and not to much traffic!The suspension feels good and sporty and the brakes bite good in case someone won´t see me coming in the mirror!
like los-lowrider says we buy the fuel in liters wich is a quarter of a gallon and pay in Euro wich is 1.44 dollar at the moment so that the gallon would cost 7.77 dollars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455 View Post
He isnt kidding about the inspections. I was stationed in Frankfurt 89-91 and put three cars through the inspection. Being US military it was a little easier, for instance the turn signals could be red on our cars, but it was still super tough.

There are no beaters, even the military must have no rust spots where the metal has a hole in it. They ram a screwdriver into the floorboards to make sure they are sound. No exhaust leaks anywhere except the end of the tail pipe.

They told us that the manufacturer of the vehicle must dispose of it when it is unserviceable. Its rare to see anything older than ten years old in Germany, extremely rare to see a 20+ year old car or truck. I bought my 79 Formula that is now my race car in Germany, I was always getting notes under the wiper blades asking me to call if I wanted to sell it.

Los you have my sympathy for finding parts, it has to be better now than it was when I was there. Now there is internet, I had to get all my parts snail mail. A month for Summit to get the order, and a month for me to receive it through the military postal system. A starter was near impossible to find and $300 for a part that was $25 stateside.

Bahn 3 and 5 were tons of fun, and I can still draw a map of Frankfurt telling someone who has never been there how to get around, and what is fun to do or see.

Any chance you could mail me a case of 1878 or Pirmenator? Would gladly send some parts over as compensation, especially if I knew someone on base who could get it to you.
Finding parts is ok and there are many dealers that have parts but they all have high prices!Restaurationparts for the interior are hard to find and sheetmetalparts.
I´ll get you every german beer you like for some gray doorpanels and a gray dashboard! i think that would make a good trading company: Beer for Parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Amber turn signals ? That must have been quite a chore to wire in since the stock wiring makes no provision at all for that.
I installed a complete wiring harness from Ron Francis and changed some things to get all the required functions.As for the hazardflasher i had to splice in the columnharness to detour the brakeswitch and get the turnsignals seperated!That wiring was great fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by los-lowrider View Post
In Germany we buy fuel in liters. Octan rating is 91, 95, 98 or 100. As you can see on the price sign above it's not cheap here. 1 liter 91 is 1,36€! That doen't realy support driving an V8.

@moneyeater
Congrats and my best wishes for the TÜV, maybe we see us on the road.
Thanks man.First try didn´t get it and now i´m looking for a Briefkopie or a Tüv that can help me getting the Plakette!
I think we should meet sometime and talk trucks and fuel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 STEPPER View Post
Thats a fine lookin' long bed,
You have alot to be proud of and that look of content on your face shows it
Thanks for your words and i´m really proud of what i have now!
BTW i love Ft. Lauderdale.Been there in 2005 and rented a motouris 24 foot rv! My relevants live in Port St. Lucie and in Palm Bay!I miss them!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #21
Alex1

If you need a Canadian speedo - just ask - I'm sure there's one laying around here...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #22
moneyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
If you need a Canadian speedo - just ask - I'm sure there's one laying around here...
Can you send a picture of that?How many kph does it show?
What would be the costs for the unit and for shipping?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #23
los-lowrider

@moneyeater
I can send you a copy of my Briefkopie but don't if it will help. What exactly do you need?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #24
Alex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyeater View Post
Can you send a picture of that?How many kph does it show?
What would be the costs for the unit and for shipping?
Give me a few days to get one for you. My friend has a ton of these parts and he's just throwing the parts away. I can tell you tomorrow what the max kph is because my truck is in kph - I'll look tonight. Cost? probably just shipping. I'm not looking to make a buck off this.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #25
BaddBusa2005

Awesome truck man. The care and detail you have put into it to get it on the road over there is incredible. A+