The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
streetstar

WIW -- anybody got any idea ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEAN...spagenameZWDVW

thinking about throwing my hat in the ring on this one for my business.

Wondered if any of you guys had any experience or suggestions on what i should set a "max bid" at if i go for it?
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: WIW -- anybody got any idea ?

Not sure what it's worth, but don't place your max bid until there is about 10 seconds left in the auction.

Bidding early only raises prices and intices others to try and outbid you not knowing what your max bid is. If you bid late (snipe), you don't get involved in a bidding war, and if your max is high enough, you'll get it without giving anyone else the chance to outbid you.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

one of the problems with evil bay is that you dont get to drive it or inspect it up close unless you live nearby so that being said i dont bid too high i assume pics make it look better than it is and its prolly not near as good as described
looking at the picture it appears that he instead of painting the rest of the dump body black he just threw white on there cause it was all he had which leads me to believe the dealer is one of them shine em and patch em up dealers the wood bed... i would think it should be steel ..
he notes the AC and the radio dont work which may or may not be anything major like a harness and its a single wheel axel back there also he doesnt mention doc fees or temp tag fees and that needs to be clarified cause some of these dealers on ebay come up with all kinds of fees that are more than the car itself
i wouldnt go any higher than $2000 which is already long past but thats me and im cheap if i buy a truck for my guys to drive i dont spend more than $500-1000 .. they dont take care of them why give em something good to destroy

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
if i buy a truck for my guys to drive i dont spend more than $500-1000 .. they dont take care of them why give em something good to destroy
Ain't that the truth. I would probably use the thing myself 75% of the time though. I have a small roofing company and do a few residential roofs on the side. I am not at the level where i can quit my "day job" yet, and cannot justify a brand new Chevy dump -- that said, with my interest in old trucks, i thought a square body dump would look good with my logo on the door. (And i would not trust sub-contract labor with something kind of nice)

Winter seems to be the time to buy , when these things are not being heaily used ,

but ....... i think i'll monitor this one to see what it goes for and then wait for one closer to my area. Hail season does not pop off until March anyway
Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Roper

In Alberta that Dana 60 front axle would be worth $2000.
You know 1984 was a high point for GMC 4x4 one tons. In 84 the one tons could easily pass emmisions without a bunch of garbage under the hood. 205 all gear transfer case, dana 60 up front, th400 transmission.
It would have 4/10 or 4/56 rear end ratios.
Man it just doesnt get an better than that.
Plus the k30s had a heavier frame.
Single rear wheels are better IMO.
Im not sure what the hydralic dump bed is worth but regular flat beds with bale decks {think hydra decks} start off at $10,000 around here.
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

I like how they spent the time to armoral the top off the front tire for the picture... BUT didnt take the initiative to shine up the inside or clean up the engine compartment. Just my comment...
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC87' View Post
I like how they spent the time to armoral the top off the front tire for the picture... BUT didnt take the initiative to shine up the inside or clean up the engine compartment. Just my comment...
I noticed that too -- plus the seller used the term "cream puff" in the description of a dump truck

not sure about a small block for that application either, but who knows-- i'd sure rather have a diesel crawling out of some of the roads leading to the dumps with 12 or 13000 in the back.

Its over 3 k now -- if it goes over 4500, 'm totally out anyway

Last edited by streetstar; 11-15-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper View Post
In Alberta that Dana 60 front axle would be worth $2000.
You know 1984 was a high point for GMC 4x4 one tons. In 84 the one tons could easily pass emmisions without a bunch of garbage under the hood. 205 all gear transfer case, dana 60 up front, th400 transmission.
It would have 4/10 or 4/56 rear end ratios.
Man it just doesnt get an better than that.
Plus the k30s had a heavier frame.
Single rear wheels are better IMO.
Im not sure what the hydralic dump bed is worth but regular flat beds with bale decks {think hydra decks} start off at $10,000 around here.

How much does it cost you guys to import if you jump on a US vehicle and bring it back?

I would assume the tariff is relatively steep, or everyone from Bob and Doug MacKenzie land would be going to Texas and Colorado to get their trucks
Old 11-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
7T2

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
How much does it cost you guys to import if you jump on a US vehicle and bring it back?

I would assume the tariff is relatively steep, or everyone from Bob and Doug MacKenzie land would be going to Texas and Colorado to get their trucks
Last guy that looked at buying my truck and taking it back to Canada I think said he would be hit for about $1500 in fees for a $7500 truck.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
Roper

Quote:

On used vehicles im not sure. I think its just 6%GST and brokerage fees.
I know last month alone 250 Albertans came back into Alberta at the Coutts / Sweetgrass border crossing and imported new cars. Another 60 some Albertans I believe brought new cars back at the Kingsgate border crossing. Thats just in one month.
GM and Honda for sure have told US dealers not to sell new vehicles to Canadians.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #11
Roper

Another thing that they are trying to do now is that they are saying some American vehicles dont meet Canadian safety standards. This is a crock but the Canadian government wont let certain kinds of new vehicles to be imported back into Canada by Canadians. They apparently have them listed on their web site.
I know a new dually GM diesel 4x4 will start at $65,000 in Alberta. Apparently they cost way less south of the border?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
streetstar

Quote:
Another thing that they are trying to do now is that they are saying some American vehicles dont meet Canadian safety standards. This is a crock but the Canadian government wont let certain kinds of new vehicles to be imported back into Canada by Canadians. They apparently have them listed on their web site.
I know a new dually GM diesel 4x4 will start at $65,000 in Alberta. Apparently they cost way less south of the border?
obviously it depends on the trim level too- my brother(he's a contractor so he takes his tax write offs seriously) bought 2 '07 2500 crew cab HD's recently -- a 2wd gas burner - for 27k, and a 4wd diesel - for under 40k. You can likely get the 3500 dually version for than 45k here with some diligent shopping - and the sticker may be around 55k
Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
streetstar

Passed on the truck ---- it went for $4100, but would likely burn another $1000 to fly in and drive it back

There will be one out there someday soon that still has its big block or diesel installed

thats another thing that bothered me about that -- if it only had about 100k on it, why would somebody have pulled the factory diesel and replaced it with a 350? hmmmmm
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #14
Roper

Quote:
obviously it depends on the trim level too- my brother(he's a contractor so he takes his tax write offs seriously) bought 2 '07 2500 crew cab HD's recently -- a 2wd gas burner - for 27k, and a 4wd diesel - for under 40k. You can likely get the 3500 dually version for than 45k here with some diligent shopping - and the sticker may be around 55k
This summer before the dollar went par I priced new dually diesels in Lethbridge. These were all high trim level trucks compared to our old 73 to 87s, thats all any of them had.Example they all had air and power everything. None were regular cabs. All were 4 wheel drive. But the prices started at $65,000.
Does GM even make a plain truck anymore? I never see any in Alberta.
Anyway then you have sales tax and insurance. No way they are worth that much to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #15
Roper

Quote:
Passed on the truck ---- it went for $4100, but would likely burn another $1000 to fly in and drive it back

There will be one out there someday soon that still has its big block or diesel installed

thats another thing that bothered me about that -- if it only had about 100k on it, why would somebody have pulled the factory diesel and replaced it with a 350? hmmmmm
Some people just dont like diesels. That 6.2 wouldnt have been much good for pulling any kind of big loads. Gas wasnt always this expensive.
Im just guessing of course. Who knows? Its a tuff way to buy a truck, just looking at some pictures.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #16
streetstar

Quote:
Does GM even make a plain truck anymore? I never see any in Alberta.
Anyway then you have sales tax and insurance. No way they are worth that much to me.

I priced a 2500 hd for myself with a 6.0 gas engine , (crew cab) -- it had power windows and locks and air and carpet-- but was otherwise pretty based out for a new truck (just IMO) --- dealer was willing to let it go for 25k (see, the gas crunch is both good and bad!) -- list was 34 and change. At some dealerships now, you can buy a Kodiak now for 65 or 70k

I havent seen any regular cab work trucks , except for fords -- but then again, i havent looked too hard either.

I'm holding out (well... saving up that is... ) for a diesel. The extra mileage and resale $ offsets the extra cost for me because i'm a high mileage driver.

A buddy of mine just upped the ante in the daily driver wars with an International CXT painted in his company colors. I'm trying to compete with vintage steel as my calling card , but i'm afraid most people just wouldnt understand and would simply think i'm a broke hillbilly ---- people are too vain today --- however, a 50 or 60 series body from the 50's or 60's - mounted on a modern chassis, might do what i need

I dunno --- -- i could go on and on
Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #17
Roper

What State/Province or Country are you talking about?
As far as me keeping up with my neibhours, even if I robbed banks everyday or sold dope I couldnt keep up.
Haha Gave up trying about 8 Years ago.

Quote:
I priced a 2500 hd for myself with a 6.0 gas engine , (crew cab) -- it had power windows and locks and air and carpet-- but was otherwise pretty based out for a new truck (just IMO) --- dealer was willing to let it go for 25k (see, the gas crunch is both good and bad!) -- list was 34 and change. At some dealerships now, you can buy a Kodiak now for 65 or 70k

I havent seen any regular cab work trucks , except for fords -- but then again, i havent looked too hard either.

I'm holding out (well... saving up that is... ) for a diesel. The extra mileage and resale $ offsets the extra cost for me because i'm a high mileage driver.

A buddy of mine just upped the ante in the daily driver wars with an International CXT painted in his company colors. I'm trying to compete with vintage steel as my calling card , but i'm afraid most people just wouldnt understand and would simply think i'm a broke hillbilly ---- people are too vain today --- however, a 50 or 60 series body from the 50's or 60's - mounted on a modern chassis, might do what i need

I dunno --- -- i could go on and on
Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

here in utah that truck would bring over 3500 if it runs good...when i had my bussiness, i wouldnt have let anybody working for me drive it.. most of them couldnt be trusted.. also with the plow attachment on the front end, it has already been used hard, im not sure if i would buy one like this with out looking at it in person first, it has been well used, maybe abused, but with the newer paint and armor all who knows...
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
streetstar

Quote:
What State/Province or Country are you talking about?

I'm in Oklahoma
Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #20
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Quote:
. I have a small roofing company and do a few residential roofs on the side.

Question (off topic) Your in roofing, What are you paying for a box of 1 1/4 X 120 Low wire coils nails?

Im in the business just curious.
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote