The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Attn. Veterans:

First of all, Thank You for everything! You are the reason we are able to do what we do today. We owe thanks for our freedom to you! We have a new usergroup for those of you that are in, or have been in the military. You can now join the Armed Forces Club!! Just a small token to show our appreciation!!!
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: Attn. Veterans:

Thank you for that.

I dont even know most of the people from this board, but i would say this is the most conscientious, in-touch group i associate with (on the internet at least)

I wish my real life colleagues were as thoughtful

So i'll throw out a huge thank you for the recognition on the eve of "our day" and a big warm and fuzzy slap on the back for all of my comrades in arms -- old, young, whatever.

I'll dedicate my first beer of the night to all of you, and the second one to myself

Doug
US Army, 75th Infantry Div. - 1998-1993

USMC Reserves 1996 - 2000
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Great Idea, We can Never Give these Guy's & Girl's enough Reconition for what they do & Have Done For Us..............

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

This was a great idea for a thread!

I remember when I came home from the first Gulf War in '91, we went to a Denny's near Norton Air Force Base in CA. I was just off the plane, still in uniform, with my wife, 6 yr old and 3 yr old daughters. We walked in and everyone in the restaurant simultaneously stood up and cheered. Several people approached me and thanked me, shook my hand and it was very genuine and heart felt. It was one of the best feelings in the world.

I got out of the Navy in 1995 to start my own business.

Now, with everything going on, not a day goes by that I don't wish I was there helping. For those of you over there, and those who have served in the past, you have my utmost respect and admiration for what you do or have done. BZ and keep up the good work!

Kenny G, RM1, USN, 1982 - 1995
USS JFK, USS Duncan, Reserve Center Baltimore, Reserve Center Long Beach CA, MIUW 105
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Lowrider View Post
This was a great idea for a thread! I remember when I came home from the first Gulf War in '91, we went to a Denny's near Norton Air Force Base in CA. I was just off the plane, still in uniform, with my wife, 6 yr old and 3 yr old daughters. We walked in and everyone in the restaurant simultaneously stood up and cheered. Several people approached me and thanked me, shook my hand and it was very genuine and heart felt. It was one of the best feelings in the world.
I remember when I returned from Viet Nam. We flew into SEATAC in the dead of winter (Jan something). The airport had been closed because of bad weather, but because of some "technical difficulty" thing the pilot was reluctant to tell us, they opened it and scraped snow off of the runway for us to land. We got on the ground fine with no problems, but couldn't taxi to the ramp because of the snow (I didn't think it snowed that much in Seattle They finally got some busses out there for us and took us to the terminal. As we were getting off of the bus we heard this ruckus near the terminal. It was our welcoming committee! At first it was shouts and insults, name calling, etc., things you wouldn't want your wife or children to hear. A little later, it erupted into some bottle and can throwing. They didn't hit any of us but it wasn't for lack of trying. I guess the point in me telling you all this is to show how people's attitudes have changed over the years. They said on the news tonight that the support for the war in Iraq is at about the same level as it was for Viet Nam in the later years of that war. Yet, people now are still extremely supportive of the troops (as they should be) and continue to hold them in high esteem. Do I still hold a grudge for the way we were treated when we returned? Yes, I'm sorry to say, I still do, but I'm getting over it as the years pass. If, however, the insults and indignities that we went through as we returned played some small part in the change of attitudes that people now have for our armed forces, then it was damn well worth it. God bless our men and women in uniform.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
FlatBrokeRacing

Crawdad,
You have my utmost respect, from one servicemember to another. I hate that things like that happened to you guys back then.

Happy Veterans Day to you and everyone who served during that time.
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

God Bless all the men and women that are serving now and defending our freedom and GOD BLESS Crawdad and every person that served with him in Viet Nam and all the soldiers in every war America has fought in to protect our freedom.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

First thing. Centsless, thanks for the club and thinking of all veterans, its appreciated more than most know. Even if its only a small blurb on a forum it does good things for us.

Crawdad, what happened to you and other Nam guys was despicable. A highly vocal misguided few abused guy returning from a conflict most had no choice in going to. One thing that stands out for this latest conflict is the Phelps protests. Same sort of thing and really it has no place with the veteran who never made it above 06.

Politicians make the decisions that we the military member must enforce, if there are to be protests, let them be with the politicians because they have a choice. Veterans have enough problems without that crap added on top of everything.

I have yet to meet a desert veteran who didnt admire and support the Vietnam veterans. In fact most are held in high esteem among todays military members. Nam vets got a bum rap for a part they were often drafted into, it is not forgotten and not forgiven by the later generations.

I never got a big welcome at the airport when returning from any of my desert trips, but that is fine by me. I can barely go a month without someone stopping me in a store, or parking lot, and asking if I just got back from Iraq or telling me thank you and that they support all of us. If I see a Vietnam veteran wearing the ribbon or something that tells all veterans where they served, I will take the time and tell him thanks from the desert guys. I do the same with any WWII vets I run into, and I usually end up with some good stories and experiences from them.

I have been out since Aug 05, but it wasnt by choice. They told me if I couldnt run or walk very far anymore that I had to go. The VA treats me pretty good, so that is a nice change from 20 years ago as well. Even though I am now stuck in CONUS I wish I could still be doing my part.

My brother is still in, he is Army. He has done two tours in Iraq driving trucks hauling tanks. That is one of the more stressful jobs over there right now. Last year he was accepted into the warrant program and helo flight school. Now he is flying UH60s, which makes sense, its a flying truck. Apparently he enjoys living on the edge.

Between the two of us we have 9 tours in the desert, that will be 10 early next year. Its part of the job, its something we feel honored to take part in even if it isnt highly popular back home.

Thanks crawdad, and thanks to everyone else who has served.

SSGT. T. Stahr
USAF Air Trans (2T271)
88-92 - 00-05
Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
crawdad

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your kind words. I hope my post didn't sound like I was whining and complaining because that was certainly not my intent. If it came off as such, then I sincerely apologize to all. Nor did I intend for it to detract from the attention you brave guys returning home from the great sand box are receiving (for the most part). You certainly deserve it. I simply wanted to relay a little story that illustrated how people's attitudes toward soldiers have changed over the past 35 or so years. I don't know what caused it, but I think it's great. I guess the generation of hippies that I grew up with have "finally" matured a little. I saw on someone's signature the other day this saying: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet". Couldn't be more true. Happy Veterans day to all Vets past and present.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your kind words. I hope my post didn't sound like I was whining and complaining because that was certainly not my intent. If it came off as such, then I sincerely apologize to all. Nor did I intend for it to detract from the attention you brave guys returning home from the great sand box are receiving (for the most part). You certainly deserve it. I simply wanted to relay a little story that illustrated how people's attitudes toward soldiers have changed over the past 35 or so years. I don't know what caused it, but I think it's great. I guess the generation of hippies that I grew up with have "finally" matured a little. I saw on someone's signature the other day this saying: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet". Couldn't be more true. Happy Veterans day to all Vets past and present.
I didnt see it as whining, just stating facts and giving us your life experiences and perspective. We are on the same team, same side..
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
Phuloi68

Crawdad,
I know what you went thru. I came back from Nam and went thru San Francisco airport in spring of 1969. IT WAS UGLY.
I am SOOOOO glad that, even though many feel this Iraq thing is unjust(as I do), they still support the young men and women of are services.

Indy survivor
Norwood survivor
Big Sandy survivor

for those who fight for it...
F R E E D O M
has a price the protected
will never know.
Phuloi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
chadbork84k10

Hey,
87lowrider, what is a RM? They no longer have that rate and havent heard of it. Unless you are meaning a GM? Sorry to see the JFK finally saw it's last days and was able to see it in Norfolk last week. There is only one CV carrier left which is of course the Kitty Hawk (****ty kitty). I just got back from my second deployment on the USS Carter Hall LSD 50 three weeks ago after a 7 monther off the HOA (horn of Africa) and def glad to be back and deploy again this coming September back to the Gulf. Everything is as good as expected from the squid world. Thanks to all past and present service members!

HT3 (SW) Chad Bork
USS Carter Hall LSD50
chadbork84k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

I had heard all kinds of stories both in the movies and from other vets returning from Vietnam. I must say, I'm ashamed of those people. I respect the fact that you (we) fought for their right to stand there and protest, but, that doesn't make them right no matter what their opinion is.

I also remember, I was concerned that night, but was surprised when the protests never materialized. It's hard to put those feelings behind you when it's thrown in your face on the news even today.

Political or not, it was still War. You did your job!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbork84k10 View Post
Hey,
87lowrider, what is a RM? They no longer have that rate and havent heard of it. Unless you are meaning a GM? Sorry to see the JFK finally saw it's last days and was able to see it in Norfolk last week. There is only one CV carrier left which is of course the Kitty Hawk (****ty kitty). I just got back from my second deployment on the USS Carter Hall LSD 50 three weeks ago after a 7 monther off the HOA (horn of Africa) and def glad to be back and deploy again this coming September back to the Gulf. Everything is as good as expected from the squid world. Thanks to all past and present service members!

HT3 (SW) Chad Bork
USS Carter Hall LSD50
RM stands for Radioman. I believe they combined the DS and RM rate right after I got out to something else, I can't remember what though.

Good to hear all is well. It hard to say Thank You without sounding patronizing, I'm glad you're out there fighting for us.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 AM   #15
shadetree

Thanks, nice idea. And, I have to agree with an earlier post, this group of people (on this board) is a very good group. I'm very proud to have served, and and very proud of what has been accomplished.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #16
skeet85silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Lowrider View Post
RM stands for Radioman. I believe they combined the DS and RM rate right after I got out to something else, I can't remember what though.

Good to hear all is well. It hard to say Thank You without sounding patronizing, I'm glad you're out there fighting for us.

They combined RM and DP to IT. I was in from 93 to 2001. I was on the USS SAIPAN and USS KEARSARGE out of Norfolk
skeet85silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #17
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet85silverado View Post
They combined RM and DP to IT. I was in from 93 to 2001. I was on the USS SAIPAN and USS KEARSARGE out of Norfolk
cool.... I got off active duty in 92, just before the IT boom. I remember the rate comination now... Thanks!