The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
skillet

Front end shimmy question.

Our '89 burb which has 180K, has a front end shimmy that seems to increase as it's speed increases and really shimmies if you brake hard, like at highway speeds(which is only about 55 for me). I replaced the tie rods in '01/135K, the front rotors/bearings in '04/156K. It probably needs a whole front end rebuild, but I was just wondering what might be most responsible for the shimmy? And any sources for decent front end rebuild kits? Thanks very much for any comments.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
bobthecop

Re: Front end shimmy question.

I'd ck the idler and pitman arms, seems to me from my days at the dealership those wore out more often than other front end parts. They could be the culprit of your shimmy.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 12-07-2007 at 05:26 PM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecop View Post
I'd ck the idler and pitman arms, seems to me from my days at the dealership those wore out more often than other front end parts. They could be the culprit of your shimmy.
Years ago, I rebuild the front end on a '67 I had, but did not do the idler or pitman. Are those replaceable by the average home mechanic or better to pay a shop to do it? Thanks again for any comments.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Shyguy

Rotate the tires from front to back and see if that makes a difference.

This solved a problem I had on one of my cars.

If the problem turns out to be bad front-end parts they should be readily available at most local auto parts stores.

Danny-Southeast Missouri
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
bobthecop

I just called a buddy who is a tech at a Chevy dealership, he said it sounds like warped rotors, ball joints could cause a vibration as well as control arm bushings, idler and pitman will cause a shake when you hit a bump. He thought that the most likely culprit is the brake rotors. Sorry for the mis lead earlier. I'm a cop now so I'm not around a dealership much anymore.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 12-07-2007 at 05:47 PM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Rooster's 67

In reading your original post, you get a shimmy/vibration during driving events and braking events, progressivly worse with speed? correct? First look at your pitman and idler arms, chevys are notorious about wearing the idler badly. worn idlers and pitman allows the linkage to move up/down and all around, also check the tie rods inner and outer, for movement. I assume that it may shimmy worse after a bump. You may also have warped rotors wich can cause a shimmy and brake pedal pulsation, all the way to severe shaking of the whole vehicle, but that will only occur under braking events. also check tire for seperations or bubbles in the tread area. they will cause shimmys and vibrations.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Last edited by Rooster's 67; 12-07-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
89 crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
Years ago, I rebuild the front end on a '67 I had, but did not do the idler or pitman. Are those replaceable by the average home mechanic or better to pay a shop to do it? Thanks again for any comments.
As long as you have the tools to do it yes. I did an idler arm on my 90 burb about 2 hours ago. as I recall for the idler you will need pliers, 15/16" socket, a 3/4" socket, ratchet, fork to separate the joints, and a BIG hammer. The pitman arm will require a pitman arm puller.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote