The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
skokie

Aluminum Fuel Cell Vent

I have a fuelcellguy tank that I am going to install. On the tank itself there is a slot for a vent. I have a motorcycle vent that I am planning to use for it but I need to know if I can get a elbow and thread it into the vent slot or would I need to run some vac line and move it away from the tank?

Thanks

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
betonj97

Re: Aluminum Fuel Cell Vent

I have the same set up under the bed of the truck and I threaded in an elbow and ran some vent line through the chasis, I havent had any problems.
betonj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
skokie

How did you run the vent? How far up or to the side did you go?

Thanks

68 build thread
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

i vented mine up and wire-tied it up to a bed support. many people say you need to have the opening be at least 1+ above the highest point of the tank, and I've heard people say "coil it around at least once" to prevent spillage.

here is a very big, very, very clear picture of how i ran mine. easy enough, right? http://satellitehead.com/gallery/dis...395&fullsize=1

FuelCellGuy makes some kick ass tanks. they look damned sweet when you slap some Line-X bedliner on them!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
skokie

Thanks for the pic shifty and yes fuelcellguy does make some kick ass tanks. Probably will be getting mine line-xed here in the next week or two after payday of course

68 build thread
Old 01-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
skokie

Another question for you shifty regarding your sender wire. Did you run that up the pass side and then cross it over somewhere?

68 build thread
Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

curious I have a tank build by FuelCellGuy and i was thinking to connect the vent line to my filler tube is this incorrect to do?

72 SWB Fleetside freshly painted. putting a 94 LT1 with
700R4 tranny lowered 4 in the front 6 in the back

81 chevy half ton 350

89 Silverado 4x4 going ta church truck
tphsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphsmith View Post
curious I have a tank build by FuelCellGuy and i was thinking to connect the vent line to my filler tube is this incorrect to do?
On my filler tube there is a smaller connection for a vent. So I am curious about the same thing.

68 build thread
Old 01-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by skokie View Post
Another question for you shifty regarding your sender wire. Did you run that up the pass side and then cross it over somewhere?
Yep, sort of. So, the stock sending wire went from the fusebox, under the driver side door sill, around the back of the cab and up to the tank sending unit (back/middle of cab).

As you can see, I have three wires there:

Blue: Fuel pump power lead (this goes to a relay for the LS1 wiring harness)
Yellow: Sending unit lead (to fuel gauge)
Black: Ground for the fuel pump (must have this)

I grounded to the closest support brace. This may or may not have been smart, but I made sure it's getting good connection.

For the yellow and blue leads, I zip-tied them together, ran them up the passenger's side framerail, then brought them up into the cab through the hole in the cab floor that was previously used by the stock fuel line (where the fuel line exited from stock tank and headed for the fuel pump in the engine bay).

I used wire loom to protect the wires on their journey, and I think i zip-tied them to the brake line for security. I will probably punch a new hole in the cab floor when I finalize my wiring because I am not at all comfortable with how much open air there is between the framerail and where the wires go through the cab. When you have wires exposed for that long, you're asking for trouble. Punching a 1/4" hole in the floor just above the framerail would probably be perfect.

Hope this helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphsmith View Post
I think the purpose of the vent line is to prevent a vacuum situation in the tank. So, unless you're using a vented gas cap that will allow air to come in when there is vacuum (negative air pressure) in the tank, then you might not want to do what you're doing. But, realistically I DON'T KNOW and wouldn't trust my thoughts, so.....I'd call Mark (FuelCellGuy) and ask for his opinion, since he made the tank.

Calling him is probably a better bet than email if you're eager to get an answer quickly. He's a pretty busy guy and doesn't always seem to have a ton of time to spend emailing - and with the holidays going by and all of us trying to catch up, .....

Please let me (or us) know what FCG tells you.

(Oh - so, vacuum would be created because ... you've got a closed tank that is capped with the gas cap. As the liquid gas is removed from the tank, there is no air coming into the tank to take the place of the gas, so ... suction begins. Think of it like a Capri Sun drink, or a box drink that you got in your lunchbox when you were a kid - when you suck the liquid out, the box crushes...)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
SactoJim

Just an FYI.

The one's I bought didn't work right. I installed them first like the pic and then ran a little longer hose and tried them vertical. Drove the truck around and the tank still wasn't venting correctly.

All I could figure was that the checkball on these things needs the abrupt movements that are created on a dirtbike to get the checkball to bounce to work correctly.

Just my experience.
Attached Images

- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

ohh crap, um Shifty i didnt lookat it that way. I am not running a vented cap. so well I dont think I have Marks number anymore so I'll try ( I know you said PM wont be the fastest reply) but its all I got for now

81 chevy half ton 350

Old 01-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
El Bombero

Ok, now I have a question. Why not just use a vented cap? Sorry if im overlooking an obvious reason, I'm just a rookie with this stuff! But wouldnt slapping on a vented cap solve everything?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

yes maybe a vented cap would work... but the cap Im using because I put my gas filler tube in the stake pocket of the box of the truck the body and cap I used are to apply on a boat. hence no vented cap so this is alarming me how the vent needs to be plumbed. I know I should have said this in the beginning but at that time I didnt think it mattered

81 chevy half ton 350

Old 01-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #14
shifty
Questionable

It's cool, no worries on the oversight.

Like I said - if Mark doesn't hit this thread, hopefully he'll hit you by PM. I might have his number or his email address floating around for you. I'll see what I can dig up.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

thanks Shifty

81 chevy half ton 350

Old 01-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
TR65

Here is the way I ran mine.
I picked up the breather at the local Advance Auto, the bulkhead fitting from McMaster-Carr. I modified the anti-roll-over check valve to allow using 1/2" fuel line for the vent line. I made the bracket and bolted the whole thing way up between the inner and outer fender. I am running a sealed cap and filler snout from a RCI fuel cell.

By the way, the stainless tank is from Rick's Hot Rod Shop and is for a 67-72 but I installed it in my 65.

Why two sender units? One is for the stock gage. The other is for the LS2computer.

(If it is worth doing it is worth doing to excess)

TR65
Attached Images

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
skokie

TR65 thanks for that info. Do you have a part numbers for what you used?

Thanks

68 build thread
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
TR65

Skokie,

Here is the vent info.

The anti rollover valve came with the tank so I don't have any info for that. It was set up for 1/4" hose and I wanted less restriction (for ease of tank filling) so I converted it to 1/2".

If you need filler info let me know.

TR65
Attached Images

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote