The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
s_nova69

Rear shock relocation

I am lowering my 72 c-10 project 3 inches in the front and four in the rear. I have found some shock relocators for trucks lowered four or more inches in the rear and want to know if others have done this and is it worth it.

.....also I am wondering about extending the rear panhard bar to the far other side connecting to the opposite trailing arm instead of the diff.

I found both of these new options on the classicperform.com web site that came to me from this site.

Anyone that has done this I would be interested in hearing about it. Thanks
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Rear shock relocation

shocks are most efficient when they go straight up and down the more angle that they are mounted at the less effective they are
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #3
Zander478

I did both on my '70 stepside. Definitely made a night and day difference. Planning on adding a rear swaybar kit. It is lowered 4.5" in the front and 7" in the rear.
Zander478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

I just installed the new adjustable bar but haven't drove it enough to tell a big deferance yet. I cut some 3" angle at work the other day to make the relocator for the shocks. I haven't installed them yet, because I need longer U-bolts.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #5
SCOTI

With a little modification, you can modify the stock brackets to relocate the shocks just like aftermarket brackets do.

Flip the lower brackets from side to side (EX: The top of the bracket that was on the drivers side would now be the bottom of the pass side). It requires flattening out the bracket some or you can make spacers, you just want it will lay flat on the trailing arm. This is worth about 1.5" of shock travel.

The uppers you re-drill the shock bolt hole higher up on the side of the original bracket & then trim the excess metal off so the shoulder of the shock doesn't hit the bracket. This one will also get around 1.5" of additional shock travel depending on how high the hole is re-drilled.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
BB70c10
BB70c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_nova69 View Post
I am lowering my 72 c-10 project 3 inches in the front and four in the rear. I have found some shock relocators for trucks lowered four or more inches in the rear and want to know if others have done this and is it worth it.

.....also I am wondering about extending the rear panhard bar to the far other side connecting to the opposite trailing arm instead of the diff.

I found both of these new options on the classicperform.com web site that came to me from this site.

Anyone that has done this I would be interested in hearing about it. Thanks
planning on doing the exact same drop and had the same questions.found the panhard bar and shock relocators from cpp as a kit.havent bought yet,wasnt sure if i needed it.mind posting some pics of the 3/4 drop when you're done.killing me to see how its going to sit when its done, but still have a long way to go.sorry i dont have any answers for you,still in the learning stages.any advantages to connecting panhard bar to trailing arm instead of rear diff?
BB70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I used ECE shock relocators on mine, with the adjustable track bar. Best riding truck I've ever owned/driven.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

SCOTI,
Quote:
With a little modification, you can modify the stock brackets to relocate the shocks just like aftermarket brackets do.

Flip the lower brackets from side to side (EX: The top of the bracket that was on the drivers side would now be the bottom of the pass side). It requires flattening out the bracket some or you can make spacers, you just want it will lay flat on the trailing arm. This is worth about 1.5" of shock travel.

The uppers you re-drill the shock bolt hole higher up on the side of the original bracket & then trim the excess metal off so the shoulder of the shock doesn't hit the bracket. This one will also get around 1.5" of additional shock travel depending on how high the hole is re-drilled.
I tried this and it didn't work very well. First how do you straighten the bracket out??
Even if you don't straighten it out how do you get the u-bolts to work. Mine were at least 2" short. I like a full nut when done. I ended up getting some angle iron at work and going to make some.
As far as the upper's I haven't looked at that yet. I hope the longer angle iron will take care of it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
SCOTI,

I tried this and it didn't work very well. First how do you straighten the bracket out??
Even if you don't straighten it out how do you get the u-bolts to work. Mine were at least 2" short. I like a full nut when done. I ended up getting some angle iron at work and going to make some.
As far as the upper's I haven't looked at that yet. I hope the longer angle iron will take care of it.
Flipping the lower brackets from side to side does not effect the length of threads used on the u-bolts unless you add the .250" spacer. I flattened my brackets using a torch to heat them up & a BFH to flatten them out. Once flat, I cleaned them up w/a grinder. Using a HD vise or hyd press could prob be about the same amount of work.

In the stock installed orientation, the lower shock bolt is above the bottom of the trailing arm. After the 'flip' the shock bolt hole is below the trailing arm; but still no lower than the u-bolts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-22-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Hart_Rod

I used the ECE setup and it worked quite well.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
s_nova69

COOL!! Thanks for the advice on this. I will try to modify the lowers like you advised SCOTI. I just was not sure where the relocation was. I thought at the top but it seems that most is near the bottom.

The next question would be what amount of drop do you use for ordering shocks with this relocation done??

BB70c10 I am just trying to get my chassis done for the autorama in Feb and will not have my body on for some months. Hopefully this summer though. I will post some picts when it is done though.

Last edited by s_nova69; 01-23-2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: make it more clear of needs
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_nova69 View Post
COOL!! Thanks for the advice on this. I will try to modify the lowers like you advised SCOTI. I just was not sure where the relocation was. I thought at the top but it seems that most is near the bottom.

The next question would be what amount of drop do you use for ordering shocks with this relocation done??

BB70c10 I am just trying to get my chassis done for the autorama in Feb and will not have my body on for some months. Hopefully this summer though. I will post some picts when it is done though.
Mine is dropped about 7~8" in the rear. The top of the axle housing sits inside the framerail & the 'pumpkin' just pokes through the bed-floor @ ride height. I have lowering blocks as well so that helps too. With the amount of drop listed, I used off the shelf Gabriel HD gas shocks for 67-72's (didn't need shorter length 'drop' shocks).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-23-2008 at 01:02 AM.