The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
berencam

Need some help/advice

ok i know most of you guys know my situation with my truck and the insurance company. the question i have is, if and when they lowball me on the settlement for my truck(since it was totaled) what are my legal courses of action. what should i realistically expect to get back for my truck. And finally is there anything i need to watch out for when we are settling this matter. thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Need some help/advice

I tallied up all my reciepts and had a total of my own as well as examples of comparable trucks for sale and what they cost.I think,mostlt,you just have to try for all you can and accept what you end up with.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Hey,

have you read this post

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185660

not sure if it will help you, but there is some great suggestions mentioned....
Hope this helps in some way and sorry to hear about your truck!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
berencam

well the nada suggests its worth no less than 7800 and i have receipts for 9000 not including the 1000 for the truck itself, is 7800 going to be a realistic value?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Well...really,that ain`t too bad in the insurance world.You`ll definately never get what you had in it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You`ll definately never get what you had in it.
x2

realisticly, what could you have sold it for? dont expect to get much more than that. you have to remember repairing things doesnt always make the value of somthing go up, it just maintains the value. insurance companies dont care the engine was brand new, they will pay the same for a truck with 100K on the engine or 50 mile on a cratemotor.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
BarryB

Here My wife is an insurance agent, let me ask her. - Which company is paying for your truck - your insurance or the other person's? If you have coverage on it through a company such as Hagerty then they should give you the full stated value on the policy but if you just have regular collision coverage through a company such as State Farm or it's the other person's insurance then what you can do is get online and print out what a truck like yours in similar condition is selling for such as on EBAY or other auto sites and show these values to the adjuster to argue what you want to get out of it.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
HavinSomeFun
Still Just Havin Some Fun!

it also depends if you have a stated value policy or a replacement value policy.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
berencam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Here My wife is an insurance agent, let me ask her. - Which company is paying for your truck - your insurance or the other person's? If you have coverage on it through a company such as Hagerty then they should give you the full stated value on the policy but if you just have regular collision coverage through a company such as State Farm or it's the other person's insurance then what you can do is get online and print out what a truck like yours in similar condition is selling for such as on EBAY or other auto sites and show these values to the adjuster to argue what you want to get out of it.
its the other guys insurance that is paying for it
Old 01-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
69long"n"low

i dont know how it is down in the states but up here in canad they make u sign a form so they can write it off so dont sign anything or at least be carefull

good luck with it
69long"n"low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the thing too is that if you put an exhaust on the truck, and its stock they dont cover it they call it maintenance .. if you put a borla exhaust with headers then they cover it ( of course they pro rate it) but that is custom equipment.. so they wont cover anything unless its performance and all.. document everything
also when you price out comp trucks make sure that they are rust free and all this iis prolly gonna be a long fight and they will try to wear you down.. be insistant and threaten the state insurance board and whomever else you can think of

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #12
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
its the other guys insurance that is paying for it
Well you have some research to do. Find comparible trucks and have printed proof. So you will get FAIR market value. But Insurance adjusters can be JERKS because that is there job to get you to settle for as little as possible. If they say, we'll give such amount of dollars. Just refuse and don't sign any papers until your offered a fair price.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
tsetsaf

Check into your state laws too. The other company is not required to settle with you in most cases. When you are dealing with an at fault's insurance company their duty is only to their insured to make sure the insured does not get sued. They will look at your information and eventually make a reasonable offer that they believe will stand up should the case ever go to court.

Perform the research, gather your receipts, and any photos and create a demand for property damage reimbursement. Be firm but be realistic.

Also recognize that if you have collision coverage you can make a claim against your policy. They may be a little more reasonable in settling as their duty and contract is with you. They will then go back to the other insurance company and get reimbursed.

Finally, if they offer you a CCC Valuescope report call each and everyone of their comparables. In my case I was able to prove bad faith because their comparables were (in this order): A salvage truck, a vehicle with no bed, a mechanics lean, and a non-existent seller. Based upon those facts I was able to receive a final settlement 50% higher than their initial offer.

Good luck,
Mark
tsetsaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
berencam

it did turn out to be a ccc report, and they listed my settlement at 3300 so looks like another hard road ahead.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
tsetsaf

Do a little research on CCC and you'll find that the company has settled a number of class action lawsuits related to their practices in gathering "comparables".

Should the adjuster be like mine and claim that CCC is always accurate then I would suggest taking him up on the accuracy and follow up with the comparables. People, in general, hate insurance companies and if you call the comps and explain the situation you will find the comp sellers will be more than willing to send a letter detailing how their vehicle is in no way the same shape or quality as yours. (My mechanic lean comp did just that and it threw their whole initial value out the window)

If you are sure of your value and are willing to wait it out eventually you can push for an arbitrated appraisal (you hire an appraiser, they hire an appraiser, and the two battle it out).

It is an unbelievably ugly and unfriendly process.

Best of luck,
Mark
tsetsaf is offline   Reply With Quote