The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
cowking7

flowmaster?

hey guys, im new here, and i wanted to know what u guys think of flowmaster, and can you help me find one for a 1985 gmc sierra 2500, i cant seem to find any, im looking for a deep rich tone, not a high pitched wailing,
>>>>>>thanks
cowking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
chromyelow1
OPS GUY

Re: flowmaster?

to the forum, i personally like the turbo mufflers cuz a V8 already sounds good and a flowmaster is just to loud for my likes. But im sure someone her has answer for you
chromyelow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
cowking7

thanks,
turbo mufflers? hmm ill have to look into it, im looking for a louder flowmaster becouse my v8 is pretty quite standing as it is now,
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

I had Flowmaster 40s behind my 429, they were a bit too loud for my liking but then again they were right under the passenger side of the bench and had no piping behind them. I now have a dual-inlet-single-outlet Cherry Bomb muffler, this one is quieter and with a deeper tone. With my 350 I had teh Super Turbo mufflers, again under the seats and dumping under the bed, think they sounded pretty good too, no annyoing drone on the freeway. Think the Chevy would have sounded better with the Flowmaster 40s than my F150, but I no longer have neither the truck nor the mufflers, so can't try it.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I have 40 series on my '71 K10 and exit straight out the back. Check the video in my signiture and listen to my truck. I love the sound of Flowmasters.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
78chevstepside

I run 2.5" true dual 40 series flowmasters with hedman full length headers on my 78. Sounds good to me . I like to run my exhaust all the way out the rear bumper. I also run a h-pipe(quites it down alot by even flow). a exhaust that emptys out under the cab is always loud.
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
benoit454
Chris

you can find flowmasters alot of places, ebay, summit racing, jegs?, northern auto parts, and if you want deep they are deep, the 40's are louder then the rest I think except for the 10 series race mufflers.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I am running Flowmaster 40s behind my 84 Sierra Classic SWB, with a 383 stroker and my Son's 350 on his 86 SWB. The trucks have full length Cyclone headers with 2 1/2" duals (H-Pipe) and two Flowmaster 40s then 2 1/2" pipes to the rear end and Megs stainless steel tips. The stroker motor is quite a bit louder than the 350 motor, but these trucks run great and have a deep rumble in their exhaust. I would NOT trade it for a tin coffee can tip any day.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
baggedcten
86 C10

flowmasters all day!!!! have true duel 40 series love the sound
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
cowking7

ok, im definitally getting a flowmaster than,
is the tubing all that inportant when getting a new muffler?
it doesnt affect the sound quality that much does it?
i want to spend as little money as possible and thinking on just using the old exaust tubes for the new muffler.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
benoit454
Chris

If you want to save money hit up ebay and find a used flowmaster muffler on there.

Iff you want new then the cheapest in the reg. line up is the original 40 series.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowking7 View Post
i want to spend as little money as possible and thinking on just using the old exaust tubes for the new muffler.
Don't skimp on your exhaust. Look and see what shape the old pipes are in. How many areas do you have for potetial leaks. Buy the mufflers from Summit or Jegs and then go to an exhaust shop and have them install new pipe. In my opinion you will have less trouble getting a whole new system put on.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"

Last edited by Bishops Trucks; 02-11-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowking7 View Post
I would think again, about using old piping. That sound of a good hollow HorsePower tune is music to the ears. The older exhaust pipes will be rusted and corroded inside and will affect the sound effectively. However, if you are on a definite budget, then by all means get what you can and go for the upgrade later.

Last edited by piecesparts; 02-11-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I ditched my 40 series for Magnaflows.

The sound is way better. Performance sound over loud sound.
The old Flowmaster is collecting dust in the garage now.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #15
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

A lot has to do with the engine. That will affect the way it sounds different using the same exhaust. Most will over look that.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #16
ton*loc

i have flow masters 40's on my truck right now. i just bought them out of summit and took them to a exhaust shop and had them do the rest. i wouldnt have went went any other route the classic sound of the flowmaster is hard to beat
ton*loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #17
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My local muffler shop has both brands available (Magnaflows and Flowmasters), and I had a Magnaflow single 3" inlet to a dual 2 1/2" outlets on my DD. Actually I had two of them---they kept getting pinholes in them at a periodicity of 2 years each. (Granted, they were not the polished high dollar Magnaflows but it was evident that their quality did not come close to the Flowmaster) I now have a Flowmaster 40 series muffler (3" in and dual 2 1/2" outlets) in the same spot as the Magnaflow and it is well past the 2 year period and it sounds sweet. Not just loud but a good hollow rumble and it does not rattle the cab of the truck. The horsepower curve felt different on the truck right after I put it on, but that could have been just a mind numbing placebo in the change. My 84 Sierra Classic has had the Flowmasters for years and they stand up real well and YES it is loud, but it was intended to be that way and the noise is not a HARSH loud one--it is just a solid rumble. The noise is well behind me on that truck and it does not bother my stereo one bit. The bodies of the mid Eighties trucks is far more well constructed, than the 88 through 96 models and the sound is not a major problem with that series of truck.

What you want to accomplish in this install is to build an exhaust sound that is good and solid and it does not sound like a set of dual exhaust pipes that are struggling to do their job. Many of the exhaust systems that our local "Gas Station" attendents install (YEP--we have muffler shops in gas stations, too) around here end up bubbling and popping with to much back pressure. The install of just a "Turbo Muffler" helps this some, but it still has to overcome the too small of piping. A little planning and forethought helps here. I called Flowmaster and discussed what I wanted for an exhaust, back in the 1996 period and their program told me to stay around 2 1/2" piping and the best was to run the full length of the truck to get the gases to not suffer from reversionary flow and to keep the noise down in the cab. I cannot argue on the way the system works.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
cowking7

wow, this is a lot of information

so your saying i should buy a used 40 series of of ebay and replace the tubing as well?, sounds good, so what do i want to look for when buying it from a private deal, as in how do i know its in good shape? any good secrets or pointers as to tell if im really getting a good deal? common issues like how worn out it looks on certain spots to tell if its in semi-decent shape? other than the obviouse.

obviousley im new to this whole truck pimping thing so anything and everything helps!! thanks guys
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #19
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Everyone for their own, but if I am buying something used (Like a muffler) I would not do it over the net. I would do it at an automotive swap meet. Do you have any of those in your area? The Flowmaster mufflers are tough, but there is always a way to sell something that has holes in it. Those are impossible to see in a picture on a computer screen. Just my .02 worth.