The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
dooce

Longterm Storage- How to do it right?

I will be leaving for Germany to stay at least 2 years next month. I will not be taking one my trucks with me , and it will be placed in storage while I am away. What all should be done to store it properly? I have never had to do this before so I am completely lost on this one. It has a 327 and a 4 spd manual trans. I was told to drain all the fluids, disconnect the battery and pull the wheels/ tires off or jack the truck up on stands to keep weight off the new tires I just bought. If I do need to drain all the fluids, does that mean ALL the fluids? Radiator, motor, p/s, trans, rear diff, brakes, fuel tank? I want the least amount of trouble to get it going once I get back. Thanks again, DOOCE

LFSalleeII@gmail.com
dooce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Re: Longterm Storage- How to do it right?

I would pull the battery, drain the fuel tanks, and change out the oil to full synthetic oil.
I'd leave the coolant alone.
Since it's a manual trans then I would drain it and the differential(s) and refill them with synthetic fluids as well.
Same thing with the T-case if it's a 4wheel drive.
Synthetic fluids will last a lot longer than conventional ones will.
And yes jack it up and set it on stands to keep the tires from getting a "flat spot" in them from sitting for so long. Wether you support it by the frame or under the suspension is open for debate as I feel either one is just fine.
This way when you do return home safe & sound from oversea's duty, all you'll need do is drop in a new battery, put some fuel in it, check your tire pressure, fire it up and go.
Or you can give it to me to take care of for you.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
89 crew

The idea behind putting the truck on jack stands is to remove weight from the springs. If you place the jack stands under the frame and leave the tires sitting on air it should be about the same as removing the tires just less work to get it going again. Any GOOD quality oil will do for the engine. Just make sure it is fresh before yo leave. Personally I would recommend delvac or rotella oil. they are a diesel oil that are both high in detergents. don't use either if you are a Pensoil user! 90 wt it won't hurt it unless it gets water in it. leave the antifreeze in it.The synthetic versus oil argument has been going on since the first drop of synthetic was built. These trucks never saw synthetic till recently, they didn't even know it was possible. Personally if your 90 wt is good I would leave it. I would also leave the gas tank with something in it. Before everyone yells at me hear me out. Unless the truck is put into climate controlled storage the steel will condense water from the air. If the tank is almost empty it will be next to impossible to get the water out. if there is gas in the tank less air will get in, there for less condensation. What does get in you can add a little alcohol to the tank, rock the truck around to mix it up then drain it and everything should be great. I would however remove the gas line going to the carb then start the truck and run the carb out of gas. Make sure you catch the gas coming out the line or you will have a fire. This way when you get back drain the gas and refill, change the oil, remove it from the jack stands and you should be ready to drive. If you want to be sure everything is good you can change 90 wt then.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
cayoterun

Add gas stabilizer (stab-il) to gas tank, mix good by adding more gas, run motor awhile to get in lines and carb.
Leave lots of rat/mouse poison under hood on motor and inside cab. Have someone check it every month or so and add if needed. A mess to vacuum out, but much better than ruined seats,wiring and rat smell.
Cayoterun

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by cayoterun; 02-11-2008 at 06:46 PM.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Add a zinc anode to the radiator. The anode will help reduce corrosion.
If you have time, add a few drops of oil in the cylinders. The oil will keep the cylinders from rusting to cylinder walls.
Use a good car cover.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

My advice on rodent control would be to use dryer sheets instead of mouse poison. I used a whole box of dryer sheets just pulled out and stuffed everywhere in the interior, and I didn't have any mouse problems. They smell a lot better than rat poison, too.
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I would use some engine fogging oil. Flushing the old brake fluid out with new will help seals and lines. Oil change will also help.

It would also help to know what kind of storage it will be in? Inside a building or outside in a lot? If it will be climate controlled or not?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Stole this from a guy I would trust to work on my truck.
ok heres a fairly cheap and easy answer,if the engines all in one piece loosen the rockers and temp remove the spark plugs, squirt MARVEL MYSTERY OIL into all the cylinderS AND FILL THE SUMP WITH 7-9 QTS OF CLEAN OIL TO KEEP THE BEARINGS SUBMERGED, and remove all coolant from the engine, by draining the block and use a heat gun to bring it up to about 200F, and let it dry out completely spray the whole collection of engine parts down with a good grease like LPS #3 and place the whole engine IF THATS WHAT YOU HAVE after it cools to room temp,or engine parts in large plastic garbage bags then tape them shut and place the engine or parts in a large plastic ,air tight box, the TARGET stores and several similar stores LIKE LOWES,HOME DEPOT,ETC sell LARGE TUPPER WARE TYPE air tight plastic storage boxes, that an engine will fit into when its just a short block or heads etc. for under $20
iF THE ENGINES COATED WITH GREASE AND MOISTURE FREE WHEN ITS WRAPPED
IT WILL STAY RUST FREE FOR YEARS IN THAT CONDITION

IF YOUR WILLING TO SPEND A BIT MORE THE LOCAL MILLITARY SURPLUS STORE CAN PROBABLY SUPPLY A LARGE AIR TIGHT WATER PROOF EQUIPMENT STORAGE BOX FOR UNDER $100
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote