The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
caminokid
Chevy nut

Question A couple of questions

I found a 69 One Ton truck with a flatbed dump yesterday. It has a 1/2 cab and doghouse on it. The cab and doghouse is in really good shape. The rocker on the left side needs attention and the cab corners have been replaced but not fully done. I think the frame is from a 60 to 66 GMC. Its has a 305 6cyl in it with a top loader 4 speed.

My cab and doghouse on my 69 is way beyond repair.

Question 1. In Nixons voice " I am not a welder!" Should I go ahead and replace the cab corners that was poorly done? Or try to grind off the welds and fix them?

Question 2. I have done some welding (ie. Exhaust) Never any body work. I am going to buy a Mig. One from Harbor Freight...only cause I dont have alot of cash for a really nice one. Do I buy a gas less mig thats 110 or do I buy a gas one thats 220...and run a long extension cord from the basement to the garage?
Which is going to be better?

Question 3. Do I save that 305 6cyl...or toss it. I was told its not really worth anything. I not asking what it worth...I have been told around $200.00...but it maybe forever before I sell it.

Question 4. Whats the best to paint the frame with? How expensive is powder coating? Do I just use the kit from Eastwood for painting and sealing the frame?

Plans are to fix this cab before I put the truck back together. Its a frame off deal fixing to happen.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #2
caminokid
Chevy nut

Re: A couple of questions

Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
caminokid
Chevy nut

Bump

Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
larry may

You should decide what you want to do with your ride. What are you going to use it for show , work ? Drive it like it is until you decide what you really want to do to it . Your thread reads as though you are asking someone to make a decision 4 U. If you want to do an off frame restoration then get out your big check book. Powder coating cost money. As for the engine , does the existing one run ok then run it. Be more detail in what you really need help with. I never heard of a 305 six or is it a V6?.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Shyguy

If I remember right GMC had a 305 V-6.

They seemed to be an ok engine, but seemed to use a lot of gasoline.

I imagine parts are more expensive and harder to find than for the V-8's.

Danny
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
First off I don't know what you mean by doghouse....

I would try and save the cab corners unless they are really screwed up. If it ends up that you can't save them you can always put new ones on.

I have a 110 mig that uses gas and I get along pretty good with it for the sheet metal stuff. Anything heavy I use the stick welder.

As far as the 6 cyl, just about everything on these trucks is worth something to someone... all parts are getting harder to find and if that is the V-6 I think they are few and far between. If you consider $200 "not worth anything" you must have more money than I do....

For the frame use the Eastwood kit or POR-15, which should be available at one of your local auto parts stores. If you use the POR-15 be sure and read/follow the instructions closely.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

The way this board (and any board really) works is you have to post pictures to generate some interest in your project,so get out the digi-cam and click away. Show details of the cab corners,show us what the doghouse looks like (I'm interested in that).
There are a few guys on here running the V-6s,personally I think they are worth keeping.They make good torque and are different and if yours works well,keep it.
I really like those dumping 1-tons.Show us some pics!
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
hvychve
To The Levy

I agree--- pictures tell all.
As far as the v-6 , I would keep it, thats just me, I like the rare stuff, and if it were me I would pull it out , completely go through it , if anything just to have it as a conversation piece, when you pop the hood , you would see a nice newly painted /rebuilt v-6, that would be cool to me, as far as gas mileage, heck, none of these trucks get any decent mileage...... go with a descent 110 gas wire, dont sacrafice for cheaper, you will be sorry , hobalt, Miller, stay with a good name, the more you play with it , the better you will get , and I think you will be sorry if you compromise is price ..... just my two cents, keep us posted , and yes start snappin pics. we all love pictures.
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
caminokid
Chevy nut

I put pics in my build thread. Page 2. Check what I have in mind. I dont want anyone to make my decision. I just need some input on what I am doing. Check out my build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=260698&page=2

Its is going to be a frame off.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #10
caminokid
Chevy nut

Here is the truck...the one ton.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #11
caminokid
Chevy nut

I will get more pics up cab of the cab corners when I find out where I put them.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #12
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvychve View Post
I agree--- pictures tell all.
As far as the v-6 , I would keep it, thats just me, I like the rare stuff, and if it were me I would pull it out , completely go through it , if anything just to have it as a conversation piece, when you pop the hood , you would see a nice newly painted /rebuilt v-6, that would be cool to me, as far as gas mileage, heck, none of these trucks get any decent mileage...... go with a descent 110 gas wire, dont sacrifice for cheaper, you will be sorry , hobart, Miller, stay with a good name, the more you play with it , the better you will get , and I think you will be sorry if you compromise is price ..... just my two cents, keep us posted , and yes start snappin pics. we all love pictures.
Thanks for the advice on the welder. I dont want to just toss the V6. I was told it was worth about 200.00. They are not selling. I was told by one board member that he has a couple of these motors and cant get rid of them. I think its a neat piece. I will figure out what corner I can stick it in for now. I have a deal coming up on a fork lift for 500.00. I think I am going to go ahead and get it. I think it will come in handy for this.