The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
1967C20

What would you do with this firewall?

Hello everyone! I haven't posted since last fall but I have been keeping tabs on the board if not daily then weekly. Teaching, coaching, the passing of my father, cold weather, trying to get in graduate school, family time, etc. have all taken their toll so I haven't had time to work on the truck like I've wanted to. However, the time is fast approaching when I'll be back at it. My question is what would you guys do with this firewall? I took it apart to rebuild the front end and reseal my motor and transmission and while it was apart to freshen the frame and the engine bay. I hate to lose the original firewall markings but the paint and primer are not in good shape. What do you guys think? Also, any recommendations for prep, paint, etc?
Attached Images

1967 C20 Custom Camper, 327, Powerglide, PS, PB, No-Spin Locker
1967C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Re: What would you do with this firewall?

If you aren't going for a complete factory rebuild then paint it and don't never look back.
If you plan to show the truck in a stock all orignal class show then think about it some more. But in the long run it's your truck!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
1956cameo

If you are trying to go back original and preserve the original markings (which I assume you are or else you wouldnt be asking about this) then here is what I would do. Go to an arts store, buy some tracing paper. It is very thin and sort of see thru. Tape it over the markings, then with a pencil trace the markings exactly. Then from a distinquishing point on the firewall and a distinguishing point on the markings make some measurements. That way once the original markings are painted over you know exactly where the copies should be placed. Then using a light table or a makeshift light table out of some lights and a glass table. Put the trace paper under some construction paper and transfer the markings to the construction paper.(If you cant see the shadow of the markings on the construction paper then cover the tracing with sharpie black ink, and or increase the light) Then cut out the markings exactly from the construction paper leaving a template. Measure where the template needs to be on the firewall. Tape the template down. Then you can hand paint the markings off the template, or you can follow the template with a wax or chalk marker like they used in the factory to re-create the factory markings. Some people have also had pin stripers re-create the factory markings from very detailed pictures. As for how to prep and paint the whole firewall I would go into the paint section of the forum alot of info. in their. Good Luck!

Last edited by 1956cameo; 04-21-2008 at 11:17 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
1967C20

Thanks for the advice, guys. This is definitely not a factory rebuild (no time or $ for that); I just want a nice driver. I do want to fix it right while I've got it all apart. I guess I was just wondering how important it is to keep the factory markings. Thanks for the tip, Cameo.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
1956cameo

No problem. If you aeren't doing a serious factory correct resto. than I would just document the original markings with good pictures (maybe with a tape measurer in the pic to log the original size) then just re-create them by hand. Nothing thats exact just a simple re-do based on the pics. That would be more than adequate for a basic resto. I also spend alot of time on a Mopar muscle car sight and those guys are over the top about quality and original accuraccy (Learn some really cool high quality tips from those guys). That is why I gave you such a detailed and time involved method. Keep us posted on your progress.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

I'd get it so clean that it starts to lightly rust, then paint POR-15 on it.

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
1967C20

I have thought about doing that, Frank. Which is better - POR-15 or Rust Bullet?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
72BLUZ

strip it down, install vintage air system. run the firewall wiring a different direction. fill in all unneeded holes. paint it the color of the truck exterior

Last edited by 72BLUZ; 04-22-2008 at 05:02 AM.
72BLUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

Unfortunately I dont have any "long" term testing, but I am putting my money on POR-15. If it lasts half as long as they claim I'll be happy. If it sticks as good as it sticks to greasy skin, clean lightly rusted metal should be more successful!

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote