The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
woodymm3

soft top?

there is a guy selling a 74 soft top in the box brand new. i was wondering if it would fit on a 1970. i know that the full removeable top went untill 1975 but did it change enough that this will not fit mine?
woodymm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: soft top?

It won't be a bolt on. I saw the same ad and that's why he's selling it. 73-75's were quite a bit different than the 69-72's. You might be able to modify the top to fit. I think the 73-75's are a little wider than first gens.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
woodymm3

is there any place to get good stuff for blazers up here. i am still kinda new you seem to have been around here for a while. would be good to know what you know. that kinda sucks that it changed so much thought i had me a soft top. i am going to attempt seats out of them if i cant find first gen seats. what is your opinion on that.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Check with Wes at Classicheartbeat.com in Olympia. Board member PICKMUP (Frank's Pickmup) is also in Olympia, but he doesn't like to do web/mail orders. You'll need to call him to get directions to his place.

Dreamers in Everett (http://www.dreamershotrods.com/) sells stuff, but I haven't been too impressed with their knowledge of Blazers so I stopped going their (the guy tried repeatedly to sell me the door window rubber/track for a pickup insisting that it was the same as a Blazer despite me telling him multiple times it wasn't - I haven't been back since...)

Second gen seats look very similar to stock first gen seats, but not exact. I don't know if it's a direct bolt in. I believe the tilt lock mount on the passenger side is in a different place than stock first gens.

Frank often has seats in stock.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
woodymm3

so do any of them actually have a store that you can go in and buy things or is it all things that must be ordered? i wouldnt mind driving down to oly if i could look at things before i bought them
Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Wes has a bit of a store. I've never been to Franks. Dreamers has a store, but it is more focused on street rods. Most parts will be an order basis as inventory is expensive.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
woodymm3

by a bit do you mean a lot or a little. would be an hour each way. do you feel it would be worth it.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
robs71k5
K5drive

Well funny I should read into this chat with the same issues, softtops and seats . My seat bolt pattern on my k5 Blazer drivers side is 15 + -from front mount holes to rear mount holes and the seats I have are look a like first gen but the holes are 13 + - front to rear .I dont know if we can put the mith to rest by comparing data .As far as the top I might be able to help a bunch of us out by building softops and bikini's with my industrial sewing machine .Is there any interest ?
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
woodymm3

will be a couple weeks before i can get at those 75 seats but i will definately measure the hole patern. as far as soft tops go. i think there would definately be a market. i would buy one.... not right away but i would definately buy one when i get to the part where i need to restore my top.... which is not that far off.

so the answer to the seats is i will find out in a couple weeks if i got the same data as you.

the answer to the soft tops heck yes!!!!
as long as the price isnt rediculous.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I mean a little. He doesn't stock much in his store - mostly accessories, etc. The store is a the front room of his shop. He usually has some nice trucks on the property and several waiting for restoration. It's about 2 hours down there for me, and I've only been once to pick up a rear hatch I bought from him. If you have a specific need, you could order the part and then make the trip. I usually have him ship items to my office.

There is a get together that Wes sponsors in August. Check his site and the Northwest section of the board for details. I believe it's on the 9th and there's an effort to make it a regional board meet as well.

I'm sure you'd have a lot of takers if you start making some soft tops.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #11
OleSenna
Roof: Bad. Sky: Good.

Did someone say, "Soft top?" I think you could confidently count on at least a half-dozen orders from this board from the git-go. Just work up a price and let us know.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
robs71k5
K5drive

OK who can tell me how many different tops there are for these trucks and wich ones are the most disireable. I know about the Kayline and a bikini would be quite simple. I may need a pattern if thats available from somewhwere wich could slow things down. . Lets keep this thread maybe I can make somthing happen .......Rob
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #13
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There were three more recent aftermarket soft tops available - STC Snap Top, STC Fastrac and Bestop. I believe that the STC Fastrac is the most desireable. I think it's a bit of a toss up between the STC Snaptop and the Bestop. The STC Snaptop is the same pattern as the old Kayline tops.

I'm sure there were more manufactures in the past. I know there was a "factory" soft top, although I'm not sure if it was actually offered from the factory.

You could try asking Bestop if they can give you a drawing or a file of their top since they aren't making it anymore.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
chaileyk5

I'm down with a homemade soft top as long as the price is right!
chaileyk5 is offline   Reply With Quote