The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
jayssunm

Moving California truck to Chicago?

I am doing a long term temporary relocation to Chicago (3 yrs) and would like to bring my 67 SWB Fleetside to work on when there is nothing else to do. The problem is I don't think this truck has ever seen snow and am not sure how 1) it will drive 2) it will warm up or generally run is such cold

I have driven in the snow before and this truck will not be a daily driver more of a project truck that when I finally go back to California (hopefully) it will be much much closer to being finished.

It has a 350/powerglide with a holley 4 barrel automatic choke.

What should I consider fixing/changing before winter comes?

Upgrades--small block, tilt column, disc 5 lug conversion (front and rear),

Future Projects--suburban gas tank under the bed, rear roll pan, better gas mileage (currently about 6-10 MPG)
jayssunm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Re: Moving California truck to Chicago?

Where are you moving to in Chi-town? Just throw some sand bags in the back and it will drive fine in the snow. Ice on the otherhand is a bit more chanllenging. If it is truly a project truck becareful of driving during the winter. You get some salt on the rockers and its like termites in wood. An automatic choke is a good thing to have, garage it if possible.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
mrein3

Chicago isn't as bad as up here but for sure make sure your anti-freeze is good to -40. 50-50 water and anti-freeze will get you there. The correct procedure is to dump the old stuff. Flush everything. Then look up your truck's capacity. Pour half that amount of straight anti-freeze in. NOT the 50-50 pre-mix stuff. After you have half your amount of straight in, top it off with water. Auto parts stores sell little testers that will let you know what the mix is rated for. [the reason you need to pour half a load of straight in is that you can't possibly get all the water out of the block and radiator. Since you flushed it what is there is pure water]

10W-30 oil in the winter.

Don't drive it after they salt. Wait until things dry out before you take it out on the streets.

All those places GM missed with paint will be obvious after a few months there. You'll see that it isn't just salt that kills them but the moisture in the air. I hauled one from dry Wyoming to here. It literally rusted before my eyes. And it was AFTER spring had sprung and all the salt went away for the summer.

Snow won't hurt it one bit. Salt and moisture in the air will be pretty tough on it.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
mrein3

Oh and you should bring some of those mint doors, fenders, and other sheet metal when you come. You can sell them to us up here in the salt belt and recoup come of your gas cost driving here.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

You've been given some good pointers about living in Chicago. Spent some time there off and on for many years. Loved the city, hated the brutal winters. I was raised in Corpus Christi, Tx and never saw snow until I was 18 years old.

One thing to remember is that these old trucks have no rust protection. Other than what you do, they're at the mercy of salt, salt spray (Corpus) and just plain moisture and grime from driving in the snow and not being able to wash it off for the whole winter.

So, if your truck is in rust free conditon you will see rust appear almost overnight if you drive it on salted roads.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

your absolute best thing to do, would be to simply NOT let it outside in the winter AT ALL.
You indicated it is not your daily driver, so there is absolutly no reason to subject it to the salt brine that will damage the sheet metal. The brine gets in places that you can't get to and does it's damage year round.
On a side note, you will make a LOT of cash off ANY sheet metal that you bring east. And you could prifit BIG TIME if you brought an extra truck here with you. Your $3000 trucks out there go for 7k or more here.
Keep it out of the snow, and locked up all winter. When you step out and can TASTE the salt on your lips... you know it's in the air.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
jayssunm

Thanks everyone for their input. Just to keep a bit of perspective, I have posted some recent pics of my truck. She is no garage queen, and contrary to your posts she already has some rust. She has been with me for several years but once I bought a house and a few other cars her project went to the bottom of the pile. Based on your feed back that my truck will begin to rust immediately I may just consider leaving it here.

Things have changed over the years and I either find a friend to keep her safe in San Diego or bring her to Chicago and attempt to do what I couldn't before, bring her back to life.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...m0bsRa&notag=1

Upgrades--small block, tilt column, disc 5 lug conversion (front and rear),

Future Projects--suburban gas tank under the bed, rear roll pan, better gas mileage (currently about 6-10 MPG)
jayssunm is offline   Reply With Quote