The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
1972Ryan
Account Suspended

My rear is to low

My truck has a 410 richmond gear that was installed by the PO. When I got it I dropped in a big block(compliments of UNCLE). I haven't drove it yet, but know I will not like the low gear. What do I need to do to get say a 308 gear in it? Will I need a new housing? What all is needed to make the swap? It is a posi currently and would like to keep it that way. Not very mechanical so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 1972Ryan; 06-15-2008 at 10:32 AM.
1972Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: My rear is to low

You will need a new carrier, the Posi unit that the PO installed will not work, but you don't need to replace the entire housing. Even so, this will be an expensive swap to do it like you want.

Posi differential..............$400+
Gears...........................$200ish
Install set.....................$100
Labor varies by location...$150-$200?
Bottom line.....................$850+

For that kind of money, you could swap in a 700r4 and gain the overdrive.
Or you could swap the entire rear end, housing and all, for one with higher gears and sell your old one. You would should be able to sell the complete 4.10 unit for more than what a junk yard unit would cost. The down-side to that is in the "posi". Even if you happen to find one, it will probably be that boat anchor called "Gov-lock"....you don't want that, especially behind a big block.

All of this "assumes" that we are talking about a 12bolt rear end. If this is a HO52 .........ignore. As far as I know, 4.10 is the highest gear available for them.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote