The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
mahanian
C10 addict

Red face Need pics of power steering parts for 292

I need pictures of all the of the pulleys, brackets, etc. that I will need to add power steering to my 292.

Thanks!

67 C10 CST Short Fleet Big Window
65 C10 Custom Short Fleet Big Window
67 Camaro RS
Old 07-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
N2GMTrux

Re: Need pics of power steering parts for 292

This is the hardest engine to find power steering on. There was trucks that came out with this as an original option,, and maybe someone on the board has a truck with the 292 in-line six with power steering. But I can tell you its the same stuff as a 250, the pulley, the pump itself the gearbox mounted on the frame are the same the only difference--> Is the actual mounting bracket which holds the pump on the drivers side of the block.

There was a thread that I seen about a year ago which someone posted a picture from a factory service manuel which showed the bracket for the V8 model SB & BB, 250 IL6, and 292 IL6.

Hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong or at least help you out.

My suggestion is to find a Chevy or GMC service truck in the Salvage Yard 3/4 Ton 76 to 84 year models. Every time I have seen a service truck in the wrecking yard I have checked the engine compartment and at least two out of ten trucks had a In-line six 292 but the A/C brackets and Power Steering had already been taken...

Hope someone can help you out,,,, Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by N2GMTrux; 07-09-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
mahanian
C10 addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2GMTrux View Post

My suggestion is to find a Chevy or GMC service truck in the Salvage Yard 3/4 Ton 76 to 84 year models. Every time I have seen a service truck in the wrecking yard I have checked the engine compartment and at least two out of ten trucks had a In-line six 292 but the A/C brackets and Power Steering had already been taken...

Hope someone can help you out,,,, Good Luck!!!!
Thanks for the info, one question for you regarding the service trucks...didn't 76 to 84 292's have the integrated head? I was told that the power steering brackets are different integrated heads versus pre-75 non-integrated heads. Is that incorrect info I was given?

I found a guy that has a '67 292 with power steering, but I want to send him a picture of all the parts I need so he doesn't miss any. He also has the ram assist power steering that I'm going to try and buy.

If the deal falls through I want to know what parts I need when I go junkyard searching. Would love to find one with a/c as well, but I know I'm just dreaming. There is a local guy with a 67 GMC for sale with a 292, ps, pb, and a/c....talk about rare options...
Old 07-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The integrated head 6 parts are different.

One the brackets bolt to the head, the other bolts to the block. I just can not remember which one is which at the moment. Also, the pulley spacing is a hair diofferent on the later model. The crank pulley from the integrated head 6 has a slightly wider gap between the first pulley groove and the second pulley grove, while on the older ones they don't have the extra gap.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
N2GMTrux

1. Thanks for the info, one question for you regarding the service trucks...didn't 76 to 84 292's have the integrated head? I was told that the power steering brackets are different integrated heads versus pre-75 non-integrated heads. Is that incorrect info I was given?

2. I found a guy that has a '67 292 with power steering, but I want to send him a picture of all the parts I need so he doesn't miss any. He also has the ram assist power steering that I'm going to try and buy.

3. If the deal falls through I want to know what parts I need when I go junkyard searching. Would love to find one with a/c as well, but I know I'm just dreaming. There is a local guy with a 67 GMC for sale with a 292, ps, pb, and a/c....talk about rare options...

Question #1 --- Not true about all had integrated heads, I was told the same thing but I located two trucks which were used by Southwestern Bell telephone company which had the service truck beds which have nothing but tool storage boxes on them,,, with non integrated 292 engines. Both of these trucks were missing the A/C and Power Steering brackets and pumps.

Question #2 --- If you can buy everything that great but if if for some reason let say he sold the ram assist to someone else,,,,,, Then at least buy the power steering bracket with all the bolts and the water pump pulley and get a picture of the harmonic balancer there wer three different style of balancers and they all interchange but you will need the timing chain cover if it different from your harmonic balancer. Then go to the Salvage yard and get the pump and gear box from the same truck 71 to 84 and mount it on your truck...... if you have a 67 or 68 and there is no dimple on the frame you will need a conversion kit you can buy from almost any supplier (ECE, CPP).

Question #3 --- Me personally I say buy the truck if its cheap enuff a you can afford to spend a little money then switch out all the items bracket and parts then sell the truck for about $600.00 to $800.00 dollars cheaper..... I did that once and it was well worth it especially for 292 options hard to find.....

Good luck --- If you need any help or want to talk P.M me and I'll give you my cell #
Old 07-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
N2GMTrux

Here is a 250 Intergrated Head the 292 also looks simular but the enging deck height is abount an inch to inch and half taller. Just in case you are not sure of the difference. I seen another person who added the power steering off of a 250 Integrated head on to a 250 Non-Integrated head,,, he modified the bracket. I dont know if it could be done to a 292 setup but it would be worth a try if the brackets were cheap enuff at a Salvage Yard...
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
mahanian
C10 addict

Thanks for all the great info! That is one clean engine!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
N2GMTrux

Here are some pictures of a 292's with P/S brackets.

These pic's are from other boad members who posted in the past,,, sorry if I stepped on anyones toes for using your pic. But just try'n to help this member with his thread.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
mahanian
C10 addict

Do you know how many brackets there are? I need the bracket for the alternator as well, correct?

67 Camaro RS
Old 07-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
N2GMTrux

The 250 and the 292 lower bracket are the same which bolts at the bottom of the engine. The top alternator mounting bolt location is conected to the bottom of the power steering bracket.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
Mt Man Chad

Wink Re: Need pics of power steering parts for 292

Here's a few pics I have from a setup I had.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
N2GMTrux

The pic Mt Man Chad posted shows the bracket more clearly for the 292 inline six,,,, thats a great picture showing the bracket for the 292 non-integrated head.

Also my under standing of the 250 and 292 head is that they both have the identical mounting hole location on either side of the head. I was told the heads were interchangeable from either engine, but there is diffences in combustion chambers, you need to do research to make sure there is clearance. If you look at the exterior mounting holes on the driver side of the head on Mt Man Chad pic's and look at a 250 engine power steering setup you will notice the holes are in the same location. The differeance is the distance from the mounting hole on the water outlet. If you look at the passenger side of the head you should notice four mounting holes for the A/C bracket they are also the same. The 250 A/C bracket should mount on the 292 head. Check it out yourself..... If I'm wrong someone please correct me of the differences on the heads,,, Thanks

Last edited by N2GMTrux; 07-09-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
murdoc

mahanian, i have a power steering setup for the pre-integrated 292 head in my 65 c-10. im running the more current powersteering box instead of the power assist kind offered in my year trucks.

if you have any further questions about hooking it all up just give me a call, i understand how hard it can be to get it right, as i went through all of this just two months ago nick 208.440.4988
Old 07-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
mahanian
C10 addict

Thanks for all the info, so from what I understand there are only two brackets for the power steering pump?

67 Camaro RS
Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
rwgregory

N2GMTrux, The heads are all the same for all GM inline-6 non integral head engines. The only difference is the 194 head that had smaller combustion chambers to give it more compression. The external accessory mounting holes varied a bit depending on year and if it was a car or truck application.

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
Closed Thread