The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
JetMech52

Angry Slip yoke? Rear Driveshaft Fwd yoke...

Ok...I cracked my rear driveshaft fwd yoke...this just after installing a new larger rear driveshaft. My question is, the old one is not repairable, and it also has a zerk fitting on it for lubrication. I cannot find these anywhere, especially w/ the fitting on it, do I need this certain type?. Second question: Is this considered a slip yoke, being that it actually "slips" on the spline of the driveshaft? any help is greatly appreciative.
JetMech52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
haus
MMMM Ramen!

Re: Slip yoke? Rear Driveshaft Fwd yoke...

i think the answer to "if you need the zerk fitting" depends on where the grease goes... if it comes out in the race where the u-joint caps go, it wouldn't be necessary - because you need grease INSIDE the caps, not so much outside. IMO it would be better to have the u-joints with lube points - so the grease goes where there are moving bearings.

for your second question, it sounds to me like you have a fixed yoke - unless i am reading you wrong... if the yoke has a big, fat nut in the middle of it, and will not pull out without removing said nut, then it's a fixed yoke. but if you grab it with your hand and the thing pulls right out, it's a slip yoke.

when you installed your larger driveshaft, was it a one piece by chance? a one piece shaft combined with a fixed yoke has no room to extend and contract as the suspension travels, and the stress has to go somewhere...

- 1970 chevy blazer
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
70rs/ss

I think, or I hope he means slip as in on a splined shaft, which is what it should have. The zert allows you to lube the splined shaft, and is necessarry to keep the shaft from siezing. If you just bought the shaft from a wrecking yard, go back and get another slip shaft. Newer 4X4 trucks have the same type of shaft and the splines are less likely to be worn and sloppy. Or go aftermarket with chromoly to avoid breaking it in the future.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
JetMech52

It is on a splined shaft...16 splines. But for research sake I just wasnt sure if that was considered a "slip yoke" cause i sure as hell pulled it (beat it with a hammer) off the drive shat. I now that the term slip yoke usually means the yoke coming out of the tranny...right? anyway thanks for the info, i do appreciate it. Where would I find a chromoly yoke?
JetMech52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
drunkbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech52 View Post
It is on a splined shaft...16 splines. But for research sake I just wasnt sure if that was considered a "slip yoke" cause i sure as hell pulled it (beat it with a hammer) off the drive shat. I now that the term slip yoke usually means the yoke coming out of the tranny...right? anyway thanks for the info, i do appreciate it. Where would I find a chromoly yoke?
You shouldn't have to beat it with a hammer to get it off. There should be a threaded collar around the bottom. Just unscrew the collar and the yoke should just slide off.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Any driveline shop should be able to get you one or a 4 wheel drive shop. The wheelers here can chime in. I just got a DS off of a newer 4X4 and had the DS cut down to length, the slip yoke was just like new!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote