The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Crank Shaft Pully help

I am installing a vintage air A/C kit in my truck and need a three grove crank shaft pulley for my 327 that has a short water pump and power steering. I have looked at every junk yard in my area with no luck. I need the one that has three groves right off of the balancer with no spaces in between the groves to match up with my water pump pulley I already have and my existing Power steering and alternator. I think I just need a 2 grove as I think I still use the first grove from my two grove set up (they split apart).

Does any one know where I can get this pulley? Or even have a part number? I am tired of looking at junk yards and would like to get my A/C going before the summer is over.

Thanks for any help in advance, you guys
Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Re: Crank Shaft Pully help

I installed Vintage air in my truck and had the same dilema. Don't buy the cheap chrome ones from Summit or JEGS. They are out of round. I looked all over as well, but could not find the stockers. The cheap aluminum pulleys are good (found on e-bay), but ony come in "performance" style only, meaning your waterpump and fan turn slower than normal=overheating in traffic. I ended up going with a March Performance set. You can see them at this link.
http://www.jegs.com/i/March+Performance/655/6140/10002/-1/748697|10223#

I really hated to spend the money, but I couldn't be happier.

It is possible to buy the pulleys separately.

I asked around on the board too but nobody was fessing up. You might have better luck.

Vintage air sells the pulleys as well. I am not sure of the ratio, though.

I found this link helpful.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=249479

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

This pulley when used with your PS pulley would give you 3 grooves. Let me know Lane.
Attached Images

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
70rs/ss

Not to step on toes, but the single gooved "add on" pulley is all that is needed, and Year One has them new from GM "oe" pict below.

Camaro » Engine » Cranks/Pulleys/Brackets » Crank Pulleys/Accessory Pulleys/Brackets »

823N Crank pulley-This stamped-steel, single-groove pulley has an o.d. of 6-3/4". Part # Description Price Add to Cart
823N New GM crank shaft extension pulley for 1964-1972 small block and 1965-1972 big block engines that utilized the short water pump. Applications may vary in years as Corvette and truck models extended the year range to 1972 as the conventional car lines stopped in 1969. $55.95
Attached Images

70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
70rs/ss

Rereading your post, you need to add a pict of yours, but the one above goes first then a stock 2 groove would go into the one above for a total of three. Year one has a list of them here:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=8

Good Luck!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Well I have been busy at work closing out a building to turn over to an owner, so sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. It amazes me how slow and insufficient the city government can be.

Any way, on to the important stuff I am still trying to figure out my pulley needs. As stated above I am trying to get my A/C going. Well as I was messing with things I noticed that when I installed my power steering pump 9 years ago I did not attach the back part of the bracket that triangulates with motor mount. So a half hour later I got that fixed, it was such a tight space I had to use two different box end wrenches that had just enough difference in their clock to tighten it one 1/16 at a time moving from one wrench to the other. Well after getting all of that done the belt blew up one me the next morning going to work. I thought it was just because it was a 9 year old belt. I got a new one from NAPA and it just pops off randomly when I accelerate. It never lined up perfectly before (the power steering pulley grove sticks a little bit farther forward than the crack shaft pulley grove)but I guess with the back bolt out it had enough play to tweak with the motor movement and stay on. So now not only do I need to solve my crank shaft pulley but my power steering as well.

Do I need a entirely new set up or should I get the crankshaft pulley from Captainfab and try to find a new power steering pump set up? Can I get a different power steering pulley or do I need to get a whole new pump too? I will post pics to see if it can help anyone help me out.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will load up some pictures to see what you guys think.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

lts 70,

Use this bracket for your power steering. I have one on my 68 and it works great. I used to have the bracket that mounts to the bolt on the motor mount and I didn't like it either. This one mounts to the front of the exhaust manifold and the same place on the block. It is much more workable and just as durable.
His number is in the auction. If you call him, he'll probably send you a set early, before the end of the auction.

Your pully should be fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...278676203&rd=1

'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
95 Kia (Wifes car)

Last edited by Arad68; 08-19-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
Well I have been busy at work closing out a building to turn over to an owner, so sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. It amazes me how slow and insufficient the city government can be.

Any way, on to the important stuff I am still trying to figure out my pulley needs. As stated above I am trying to get my A/C going. Well as I was messing with things I noticed that when I installed my power steering pump 9 years ago I did not attach the back part of the bracket that triangulates with motor mount. So a half hour later I got that fixed, it was such a tight space I had to use two different box end wrenches that had just enough difference in their clock to tighten it one 1/16 at a time moving from one wrench to the other. Well after getting all of that done the belt blew up one me the next morning going to work. I thought it was just because it was a 9 year old belt. I got a new one from NAPA and it just pops off randomly when I accelerate. It never lined up perfectly before (the power steering pulley grove sticks a little bit farther forward than the crack shaft pulley grove)but I guess with the back bolt out it had enough play to tweak with the motor movement and stay on. So now not only do I need to solve my crank shaft pulley but my power steering as well.

Do I need a entirely new set up or should I get the crankshaft pulley from Captainfab and try to find a new power steering pump set up? Can I get a different power steering pulley or do I need to get a whole new pump too? I will post pics to see if it can help anyone help me out.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will load up some pictures to see what you guys think.

I’m having the same issue you are!
But in your picture, I see your pump is a 3/4 in shaft with a press on pulley! I’ve determined with my two grove pulley (Power Steering) is that it can be pressed on a bit further to align with the crank pulley.
I’m not sure if it will with your single pulley or not, but it’s easy to try it! You’ll need to get a loner tool from AutoZone to install your pulley. If I were you I would pull off the pulley and you will see how much shaft you have left before it comes in contact with the pumps snout/seal (you should be able to see clean area- a line form the dirt/grime/rust). Then clean the shaft of any dirt/grime/rust, and then re install the pulley to your aligned with your crank pulley. Verify you are not rubbing anything!

As soon as figure out what year these 3/4 in PS pumps were used, I’ll get mine installed and let you know how it worked! The only difference in mine is I have a two grove pulley.

PS- I’ve also tried the correct pump with the keyed pulley, and it still off just like yours.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Thanks for the info guys. I will try pressing my pulley on to line up with the crank pulley. I hope that is all it needs, if it is maybe my luck is changing .

Can you guys tell if Captianfab's pulley will work for me? I was hoping some one could confirm or let me know how I can verify if it will work with my other pulleys. You guys are awesome and are all getting reputation points for being so helpful (it won't let me give any more points to 70rs/ss, it said I have to spread them around more).

Last edited by lts70; 08-20-2008 at 11:07 AM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

I need a pully that will add an additional grove on the crankshaft where I have my red arrow. So that it will line up with my middle grove on my water pump pulley and compressor.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Did your pulley press on further to correct the power steering pump issue?
Now you need an additional pulley to run your AC?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 08-20-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

I am going to try pressing the power steering pulley on further tonight after work. I will let you guys know how that turns out.

Yes, I need a new crankshaft pully so I can run my A/C compressor. I think the one above from captainfab will work but was hoping some one could confirm that it is the style I need.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
Senator350

call alan at alangrove components.
not only will he know EXACTLY what you need when you tell him what parts you want to use,

you won't lose half a grand to March for a bunch of shyte parts that you will need to deburr, and will still wobble.

i HIGHLY reccomend him
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/
Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #14
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator350 View Post
call alan at alangrove components.
not only will he know EXACTLY what you need when you tell him what parts you want to use,

you won't lose half a grand to March for a bunch of shyte parts that you will need to deburr, and will still wobble.

i HIGHLY reccomend him
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/
Alan Grove makes great parts and I recommend them too.

I have March pullys on my truck. They don't wobble, I didn't have to deburr them and they were under $200 to my door. They are straighter than any stock pully I've seen.

Why do you want to run an electric waterpump on the street?

'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
95 Kia (Wifes car)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #15
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Well there was not enough room between the shaft housing and pulley to be able to press my power steering pulley on any farther to align it with the corresponding crank shaft pulley . So I took my crankshaft pulley apart and put some washers in-between the two halves to shim out the outer pulley enough to line up with the power steering. Works like a charm. I now have a two groove pulley coming to replace the outer single pulley so that I can run my A/C compressor belt. I just hope that the 1/16 of an inch I had to shim it out does not give me grief with the outer A/C belt lining up. I figure it is a longer belt that wraps around three pulleys and hopefully won't be as effected as the smaller power steering belt was.

Arad68 I am not running a electrical water pump. It might be the electrical fan you are seeing in my stock shroud that threw you off.

Last edited by lts70; 08-27-2008 at 07:28 PM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #16
Senator350

maybe you're asking about MY electric water pump?

1. For Esses and Geeez
2. For MPGs
3. I heard it gets the ladies excited.

mostly #2
Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #17
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

I saw your electric fan. It looks like the Mopar fan. I can tell the differrence between an electrical waterpump and an electric fan.

The question was for Senator 350.

I am glad you seem to have cleared up your pully issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
Well there was not enough room between the shaft housing and pulley to be able to press my power steering pulley on any farther to align it with the corresponding crank shaft pulley . So I took my crankshaft pulley apart and put some washers in-between the two halves to shim out the outer pulley enough to line up with the power steering. Works like a charm. I now have a two groove pulley coming to replace the outer single pulley so that I can run my A/C compressor belt. I just hope that the 1/16 of an inch I had to shim it out does not give me grief with the outer A/C belt lining up. I figure it is a longer belt that wraps around three pulleys and hopefully won't be as effected as the smaller power steering belt was.

Arad68 I am not running a electrical water pump. It might be the electrical fan you are seeing in my stock shroud that threw you off.

'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
95 Kia (Wifes car)