The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Question E-brake bracket / cable question

Help! Either my new emergency brake cables from LMC are too short or else I have the brackets on backward and on the wrong sides. Hope someone can look at the pic and tell me which it is. This is on a '72 1/2 ton shortbed with leaf rear.

This is the driver's side. Left rear wheel is to the left out of frame. The cable is stretched as far as it will go and is a good half inch from even going through the hole enough to be clipped in place. They should hang somewhat loosely, right? Like a complete idiot, I tossed the old cables last fall without comparing them to the new ones. It's entirely possible that I have the brackets on backward as well. I'm going by old pics from last fall before I tore it apart and none of them shows the brackets very clearly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Brent
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)

Last edited by brossow; 09-09-2008 at 09:20 PM.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: E-brake bracket / cable question

I have looked at replacing my emergency brake cables and have found that some vendors just don't have available what I think I might need. www.inlinetube.com has a pretty extensive listing that includes the different combinations of drive trains and wheelbases. Based on what I saw in their catalog, big blocks and small blocks had different cables. 400TH and 350TH used different cables. SWB and LWB used different cables. If my memory serves me right, my SWB 350 equipped TH400 truck meant that LMC only had two cables, with the one I think I need not being one of them.

So, are you sure you have all of the right cables?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: E-brake bracket / cable question

I ordered PN 34-3838, which LMC lists as being for '67-72 1/2 ton 2WD with rear leaf springs. I'm going to call customer service tomorrow to see what they can do for me. Biggest concerns for me are that (1) I didn't keep the bags they came in and (2) the order was from 8/4/07, more than a year ago. Even though the stuff is brand new, I'm afraid they'll give me a hard time about returning the cables. Partially my fault for not checking, I suppose, but mostly theirs for not supplying the right stuff.

I did some more digging in my photos and have determined that I do in fact have the brackets on the right way, so it's definitely the wrong length cables. I need to order brake lines from Inline Tube anyway, so I'll talk to them about their e-brake cables as well.

Thanks for the input!

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote