The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
baggedcten
86 C10

Question turn signal?

When I put on the turn signal, I take the turn and the the signal is suppose to turn off, (at least it use to on my truck) well the other day i was driving and notice my turn signal stayed on I dont know what happen, know it stays on every time, I have to lift the lever to stop it. This is getting on my nerves because I keep forgetting to turn it off. I need help what could it be.
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: turn signal?

the turn signal switch broke.. its in the column and its suppoused to have a piece that knocks it back to the off position... the bad news is you have to take the steering wheel off and the ring and all to get to it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

The turn signal switch in the steering column is busted. The one in my truck is not self canceling for left turns, but the self canceling function for the right still works. It's a matter of pulling off the steering wheel and replacing the switch.

For now, I've just gotten used to turning it off manually.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
baggedcten
86 C10

Could i get this at a local parts store or is it hard to find? how does it look like any pics guys?

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 09-19-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: removed a questionable word
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you should be able to get it at any decent auto parts store....
you need to remove the horn button then the nut for the steering wheel and the steering wheel using the proper puller.. once ya get that out you need the tool which pushes down the steering lock ring ( this can be made with stock steel and some nuts and bolts) and use a snap ring pliers to remove the ring and take out the lock ring...
the turn signal switch is underneath and can be lifted out after you unscrew the hazzard light knob and remove the turn signal lever
you then have to unplug the bottom of the switch from the bottom of the column and it pulls out.. installation is the reverse of the removal
on a scale of 1-10 10 being hard this is barely a three if you have the right tools or can get them ( autozone rents)

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

hey guys.... why replace the whole switch, when all he needs is a 50 cent spring?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
hey guys.... why replace the whole switch, when all he needs is a 50 cent spring?
Longhorn called it right, one of these 2 little springs has busted. Common problem. Replacement parts can be found at any parts store that carries the help line or even at NAPA in their Balkamp line. I believe they call them "turn signal cancelling springs. Pic below......
Attached Images

overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
spudz

Dont replace the switch..its prolly a broke spring or a broke cancel cam.. No more then 5 bux worth of stuff....I would just replace them all.. The cancel cam is different for tilt and none tilt columns so get the right one.. Dont replace the entire switch because of that... No big deal..
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Rreemo

Just found this thread in search - does anyone have a picture of a cancel-cam? I'm not sure that I even have one in there. I'm trying to figure out how the switch cancels....mine has never worked (either direction) since I bought the truck....my turn-signal lever finally came loose - I presume from having to use it so much to activate as well as manually cancel the blinkers - so I went ahead and pulled the wheel off to get a look. The switch itself still has both springs in-place, and I found that the little metal insert that goes in from the backside of the switch (what the lever screw screws into) is stripped, so for sure going to need one of those (if available separate from the switch)....but still trying to figure out why the blinkers do not cancel.

Thanks.
00=ss=00
Rreemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

The "cancel-cam" is built into the "horn ring" peice that sits in the middle of the turn signal switch on the center (main) shaft of the column. It has 2(two) bumps on the lower outside portion of it that trip the turn signal lever back to the off position when the whell returns back to center.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

hey have you checked to see if your left turn signal light isn't out?

ed.

i read the question again

"its hip to be square"

Last edited by willett; 11-24-2008 at 05:50 AM.
willett is offline   Reply With Quote