The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2003, 03:04 PM   #1
85Silverado

Problems, one possibly big

Ok...my truck is soild for the most part, mechanically anyways, but the back of the bed is rusted through and the tailgate on the passenger side pretty much hangs loose where the hinge is at the bottom, i know that can be replaced or fixed with some fancy welding but my main concern is the floor in the cab. The rocker panels are pretty much gone on the drivers side and i can see movement in the floor on the hump that the seat sits on on the edge and am worried about the seat falling down that way. What's the best way to go about fixing that or will i need a new cab? Thanks for any and all info.

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
smokinn

Replace the cab. Save yourself the time and money of trying to fix it.

Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:10 PM   #3
Ryan Flowers
No Brakes Club

Thumbs up

Yeah, like Smokinn said, "Replace the cab. Save yourself the time and money of trying to fix it". You can pick up a cab fairly cheap. I bet you could hunt around and find a whole truck someone purchased just for the engine and they want to get rid of the body & frame. I see whole trucks on ebay that sell for $400-$1,000 all the time. As a matter of fact I just bought one and told the guy all I wanted were the 3/4 Ton 4x4 Axles out of it and he sold them to me for $500. I think he only wanted $800 for the whole thing. The cab had a dent on the drivers side but it had a brand new bed on it. If you are interested e-mail me and I will give you his info and you can talk to him about it. I bet he would let it go for a couple of hundred bucks.

01 Chevy Suburban 2x4 350
Click here to email me
Click here to visit my web site
Ryan Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #4
86SILVERADO

Hey 85, Us mid 80's Silverado guys gotta help eachother out so I figured I would give you my two cents. If the body on yours is that bad the frame can't be too far behind. Didn't you say you were lookin for an engine for that beast a while back as well?
Do yourself a favor and get an arizona truck even arkansas or oklahoma might be cheaper for you. I paid 800 to have mine shipped all the way out to Rhode Island. At least it's worth putting money into you know?

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:32 AM   #5
85Silverado

The frame is actually good...the body itself isn't bad...just a little rust around the wheel wells...it's just the floor on the drivers side and the end of the bed. I figured it's cause the guy who had it before me (it was a one owner truck) was the only one ever in it cause the passenger side is fine. Anyways...I'm definately thinking about what you guys said. Thanks alot...at least now i know where to look for those things.

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

My neighbor has one posted in parts section . Solid Texas truck. Buy it and drive it home. Mine is from Texas. Second owner.
108 k miles. Always garaged. New GM 350 gave $3600