The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
american revolution

help with ignition tumbler

Can anyone help me trying to figure this out...i have a 72 blazer with a later model steering column...another member that worked on my car thinks it is a later model steering wheel....pulled up to my house today when i wanted to turn off motor key would not move....took me about 30 minutes to finally turn off vehicle and get the key out and now the ignition will not turn to start vehicle...Been advised that the ignition tumbler might be bad...how do you remove tumbler so that i can replace...here are some pics...At least the car is in my driveway but need to get this going asap so that I can get it in the garage.
Attached Images

american revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
old man jimmy

Re: help with ignition tumbler

Sorry guy, but you'll have to pull the steering wheel. And you'll need a steering wheel puller, and if you want to save yourself a ton of aggervation, pick up a lock ring tool. Just tell them at any parts house, they'll know what you need. they're cheap. After you get the wheel, and that plastic plate out of the way. Their should be a torqe head screw that holds the tumbler in. Pretty simple.
Update..... Looks like you have a grant wheel their. So try to pull it before you buy a steering wheel puller. You'll still need the one for the snap ring though.

Last edited by old man jimmy; 11-26-2008 at 02:08 AM.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Looks like part is already broken off... The chrome bit on either side of the key.

I'd try some up and down wiggling and side to side wiggling to see what makes it move before throwing money at it.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
american revolution

went to rent out the puller and lockplate remover and replaced today..thanks for al the help...great board!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
american revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
old man jimmy

You're very welcome. And Happy Thanksgiving to you also. Pretty simple job when you have the right tools, huh?
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote