The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
hoetrain88

locker??

hey, i have a 1979 3/4 ton chevy. it has 6 in lift with 36in tires. i want to put lockers in the front axle and rear axle. any suggestions? please help me figure the best way to go. i was thinking detroit in the rear. and a spooled front end since i have lock out hubs. let me know. thanks
hoetrain88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
abebummy26

Re: locker??

Never put a locker or a spool in your front axle. Everyone one else here will tell you the same thing. Pics are always great btw, 79s are my favourite year.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Abe, for a few years Chev put posi up front as an option but withdrew it because of handeling problems. I don't remember the years, but it would have to have been late 60's or very early 70's. I started working for Chev in 74 and never actually saw one. Hoe, I second what Abe said. Do whatever you want out back, but leave the front free to spin as it is now. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Put a selectable locker up front like and ARB or something. I had an ARB in my Jeep and loved it.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

IF, and only if, you are into serious rock crawling where you could justify the use of an "Air" type selectable locker as a steering device, yes. Otherwise I would stick with a gear-type differential (Torsen) for the front. They are less "dramatic" as far as the effect on your steering. This type of traction device is also easier on your truck. Lockers and even clutch type posi units can be very hard on axles. The short-side (passenger) axle will generally break first, since there is less length to "absorb" the twist. The bigger the tire the more this effect is aggrivated.

As far as the rear, it is hard to beat a Detriot Locker, but they are not the greatest thing for street driving either, especially if you loan anyone your truck. A clutch type Posi-traction is smoother and more forgiving on the street.

Spools are pure racecar stuff, never for street use. They make for very difficult turning and again are hard on parts.

If this is a trail rig and mostly a toy, not your daily driver, a Detroit and a Torsen would be great....if not moderation will make for a more friendly driver. Maybe a clutch-type posi in the rear and leave the front open in that case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I agree with what Longhair said.

I have a Detroit Locker in the rear of mine and a Detroit TruTrac in the front. I really like the combination but you have to relearn how to drive the truck with a Detroit locker in the rear under heavy acceleration as the truck will want to dart right then back left once you let off the hammer. On ice, it is gets pretty scary.

Rear: 14 bolt full-floater Detroit Locker

Front: Dana 44 Detroit TruTrac

First test drive around the corner from my house about 10 minutes after we got the fluid in the pigs. The locker and limited slip work well.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote