The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Tantrix

Exclamation Mr Gasket floor shifter: Speedometer cable clearance?

My 1976 Chevy C10 came with a 3 on the tree, but the column is all busted up inside so shifting with that is out of the question. I picked up a Mr Gasket 3-speed manual floor shifter for it. I know, it's not a Hurst or B&M but this is just a a daily driver...maybe 20 miles a week or so.

My question is:

I was underneath the truck today before dark planning the install for tomorrow, and noticed that my speedometer cable is very much in the way of my shift kit. What are my options? The only thing I can think of is to either disconnect the speedometer cable completely, or modify (grinder?) the bracket so my speedometer cable will have the clearance.

Am I missing something, or are those my only 2 options?

Thanks.
Tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
shadetree

Re: Mr Gasket floor shifter: Speedometer cable clearance?

The option if went with (a bunch of years back) was a speedo cable from a 75 Monte Carlo. Some years of Montes (& Gran Prix) are a bunch longer, allowing room to move the cables bends to clear the shifter. NAPA can get you a new cable assembly. Junkyards kinda don't want customers under cars to get little things like cables.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrix View Post
My 1976 Chevy C10 came with a 3 on the tree, but the column is all busted up inside so shifting with that is out of the question. I picked up a Mr Gasket 3-speed manual floor shifter for it. I know, it's not a Hurst or B&M but this is just a a daily driver...maybe 20 miles a week or so.

My question is:

I was underneath the truck today before dark planning the install for tomorrow, and noticed that my speedometer cable is very much in the way of my shift kit. What are my options? The only thing I can think of is to either disconnect the speedometer cable completely, or modify (grinder?) the bracket so my speedometer cable will have the clearance.

Am I missing something, or are those my only 2 options?

Thanks.

Funny you should mention that, I’m under my truck replacing a cheapo shifter this afternoon. For the cheap shifter I had to move the main mechanism as far back as it would go. After moving it back and tilting slightly I was able to get cable clearance.

The cheapo is being replaced with a Hurst unit. The Hurst’s transmission bracket looks to be made to eliminate clearance issues. I’ll post later and let you know how it went.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

OK, done!

The Hurst "Mastershift" shifter fits like a glove. I did have to alter the cat heat shield, otherwise no problem at all. Speedo cable fits without any issue. For a used unit off eBay it shifts and feels new. No more Mr. G shifters for me!

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
60ratrod
yes, i do

i despise mr. craptastic shifters. i had one that came in my 60 project truck and the thing was all kinds of fubar'd. that and it looked like it was too complicated to even attempt to fix the damn thing.
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
jimfulco

I had a similar problem on a Nova back around 1971 or so. It was a Mr. Gasket-labeled (they had just bought out Hurst) Competition Plus 4-speed shifter on a Muncie, and the cable interfered slightly. I just bent the cable housing a tiny bit so the shifter wouldn't hit it. It was only a very slight bend, and it didn't cause any operational problems with the speedo itself, but if I had had a grinder at the time, it would have been a better solution. As long as you don't remove enough material to affect the operation or stability of the shifter, grind away.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Tantrix

Ok...I got the shift kit installed and adjusted. It feels great (for the cheapest kit on the market anyway) and I fiddled with the speedo cable for a bit today before it got too dark.

From the looks of it, I can probably do the slight bend and make it work like you did jimfulco. I could almost get the tip of the cable into the trans, but I didn't bend it very much so it wouldn't go in. I'll try the bend tomorrow and see if I can get it attached, if not I think I'll just get the grinder and cut just a slight notch in the bottom of the bracket for my cable to clear.

Thanks for all the replies fellas!

Last edited by Tantrix; 02-10-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Tantrix

Ok...I put connected the speedo cable today. I loosened the 2 front bolts on the bracket and moved the entire shifter up, then connected the cable. I tightened the 2 bolts back up and the bracket came back down and bent my cable slightly, but I think it will still work.

3 pics after installing the cable, showing the bend:

Last edited by Tantrix; 02-19-2009 at 01:59 AM.