The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
Skirkpat

Should I use Leaf Spring or Coil Rear End?

Sorry if this has already been covered, What is the advatage of either, I am putting one or the other under my Suburban...I already have one of each...which would ride, and handle better? I plan on occasionally towing so I might try to beef up the springs a little.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
joe231

Re: Should I use Leaf Spring or Coil Rear End?

coils will give a smoother ride....there are pros and cons with each, but my opinion would be to go with the trailing arm/coil set-up
Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
502tripower

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
coils will give a smoother ride....there are pros and cons with each, but my opinion would be to go with the trailing arm/coil set-up
I second that...
1963' Chev Custom Cab 502, 67' 435hp 3X2 intake, 9" 4:30 Posi
1961 Impala SS 348/350 4-speed 3:70 Posi
1961 Bel-Air Bubble Top 283 Turboglide soon to have a 348 3X2 4-speed
1950 17' Fairliner twin cockpit barrel stern 312 Y block 1X1 intake Borg Warner 1:1 gear
1957 Fleetform 14' twin cockpit barrel stern 1969 BP-125 Merc
1949 Transitier 3-wheel forklift Crosley 4-Banger
98' FXD
2002 2500HD
502tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Skirkpat

Thanks, it already has the coils, but if the leafs would work or ride better I have a trailer that I could rob the parts off of...I guess I will leave it alone unless somebody else has a suggestion
Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502tripower View Post
i second that...
third....
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
skchevota

Ditch the coils, and install air bags on the trailing arms. you dont need a super fancy kit. just some 2500# bags( each) and a small compressor. you can adjust ride heigth, and load capacity for towing
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchevota View Post
Ditch the coils, and install air bags on the trailing arms. you dont need a super fancy kit. just some 2500# bags( each) and a small compressor. you can adjust ride heigth, and load capacity for towing
I am not a big fan of the air bags (sorry lowriders) I would use them on something driven occasionally, but I am going to mile this thing up, I have had to many bad experiances with Lincoln Mark 7's to ever trust an airbag....I know they work great, when they work, but I hate being stranded though and shocks and springs have never done that to me, bags have. If I ever build a truly recreational truck I would go that way though.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Primer70
Superbad

My experience is that the leaf springs will tow a heavy load better than a coil spring rear end. The coil spring rear suspension tends to bounce a lot more than the leaf spring rear suspension. I'd try towing with the coil spring rear suspension first though since it's what's in the Suburban now.
Primer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

Leaf spring rear is stronger, and maybe a little stiffer. I have 1 leaf out of my 72 GMC with 2" drop shackles and still put almost 2 yards of mulch in the longbed. Burbs are a little heavier in the rear as well, I would say install a leaf rearend.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
I am not a big fan of the air bags (sorry lowriders) I would use them on something driven occasionally, but I am going to mile this thing up, I have had to many bad experiances with Lincoln Mark 7's to ever trust an airbag....I know they work great, when they work, but I hate being stranded though and shocks and springs have never done that to me, bags have. If I ever build a truly recreational truck I would go that way though.
apples and oranges
lincolns and big trucks........
not a fair comparison
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
Skirkpat

Question Re: Should I use Leaf Spring or Coil Rear End?

Quote:
apples and oranges
lincolns and big trucks........
not a fair comparison
I do not understand what you mean? Please explain how the airbag system is different in a truck? My Lincoln used Goodyear airbags and had small plasic lines ran to an onboard compressor. I realize that the Mark had level sensors, I know this because I would have to crawl under the POS to trip them, and valves, but it looks alot like the ststems I've seen here....another thing I was not to fond of was the Cadillac ride, I don't need that in a truck, I like bouncing around a litle, after all it is a truck.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
joe231

in my opinion (i agree with you) the car set ups are junk, and way overpriced.
my point was, the majority of the semis on the road have air ride with very few problems.
but most of the luxury cars seem to be plagued with issues. I believe the aftermarket stuff has more in common with the big trucks.
if you want a firmer ride, i have heard the dominator bags are the way to go.
don't rule out a simple replacement of the coils with bags, you could just run line to schrader valves and have them at a static height with the ability to add air for towing/hauling stuff...
my main point was don'tlet your bad experience with a lincoln ruin your perception of airbags.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
Skirkpat

Quote:
in my opinion (i agree with you) the car set ups are junk, and way overpriced.
my point was, the majority of the semis on the road have air ride with very few problems.
but most of the luxury cars seem to be plagued with issues. I believe the aftermarket stuff has more in common with the big trucks.
if you want a firmer ride, i have heard the dominator bags are the way to go.
don't rule out a simple replacement of the coils with bags, you could just run line to schrader valves and have them at a static height with the ability to add air for towing/hauling stuff...
my main point was don'tlet your bad experience with a lincoln ruin your perception of airbags.

Oh, don't get me wrong I like airbags, I just think the are more for a cruiser than a worker, I pull trailers alot, I have a bad car habit I can't seem to shake !!!! It is so bad I got a Dealers Lisc. a few years back, The reason I bought this was for LONNNGGG parts runs....and i just would hate to blow a hose or something on I-80 in the middle of Summer !!!! If it was purely a recreational vehicle, like a slammed shorty it would have the bags, I just think they would be to expensive and add another thing to fail at the wrong time for this project, I would be willing to change to leafs, but as suggested I am going to give the the coils a try for now ( I think ?). As far as Lincolns go, I actually liked that car when I had it, just some engineering problems, but those are always present on luxery models, thats why I drive trucks.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
joe231

I hear ya
I respect your opinion, even if I don't agree with it