The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
84 400
Sb 400 club

Bodymen, painters, panal replacers help me out.

I put doors, front fenders and hood on my 77 today. They are all used GM stuff. Well ...... My gaps are horendus!! nothing has an even gap. Both doors rub when opening. I need some advice, tips trick for this stuff. I reused the shims that where on the fenders I took off.

This is my first time doing this and I can't seem to get this stuff right. Left it all losse and tightened it up. ...

I will go take some pics now!

Pass dooor sticking outside the fender.....

1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out

Last edited by 84 400; 02-14-2009 at 11:15 PM.
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
66truckin

Re: Bodymen, painters, panal eplacers help me out.

Lots of trial and error my friend. start with the doors and try to get them aligned with the rockers and get a uniform gap at the back of the cab, then move forward and try to align your fenders to your doors
66truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
LBJ

I never could get the fender and hood to line up on my 77 Bonanza. I tried pretty hard but gave up. The trucks of that era just were not set up to be that great looking off the line. Some were better than others, but they were just trucks. I bought mine new off the lot in 77 for $5500. So, not the big ticket computer CNC jobs they are making now. It can be done, but with lots of work and know how. Those guys on the TV shows make it look easy, but I bet they edit-out miles of tape.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
fast75
Go Hard or Go Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
I never could get the fender and hood to line up on my 77 Bonanza. I tried pretty hard but gave up. The trucks of that era just were not set up to be that great looking off the line. Some were better than others, but they were just trucks. I bought mine new off the lot in 77 for $5500. So, not the big ticket computer CNC jobs they are making now. It can be done, but with lots of work and know how. Those guys on the TV shows make it look easy, but I bet they edit-out miles of tape.
get a rotary file for your drill, open some of those bolt holes up so you have some room to move the pieces you are working on. i need to do some to mine and thats the plan for me. as for the guys on tv, i'd bet the empty 2 roll off dumpsters a week of edited film. always smiling, in a good mood, and do a complete lowering job on a truck in 30 minutes. makes me want to go over there and slap a patch of hair outta the back of their heads......... they need to come over here and work on MY truck for a day. that'll wipe that smile off their faces................ LOL...........

2008 Dodge crew cab. YEAH, it's got a hemi, your ass is going to jail quick.

Some day's, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints................................
fast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
andrewmp6

The way i would do it is get the doors to fit the cab everything centered and your happy then move on to the fenders.Yes open up the bolt holes on the fenders it takes time to get panel fitment prefect so take your time don't give up tell your happy.The gap spacing is a easy fix don't worry about that tell you get everything fitting good.The gaps you can gentally grind some off or weld on some.The spot where the fender top meets the cap you'll have to add on it to make it look god right there.

Last edited by andrewmp6; 02-15-2009 at 06:28 AM.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
oldgmc

I have replaced basically the same parts as they all seem to rust in the same places. As said before it is a lot of trial and error and also the spacer washers may need to be different then the original (more or less).
oldgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

I agree with everyone else - align your doors and then move on to the fenders. If the Used parts are Factory GM then you shouldn't have to open up the holes - just play with the shims.

You'll probably get the gaps to be even and 1/2 way decent, but they will never look like the "ball bearing" gaps of today - to get those you would have to cut and weld fenders, hoods, doors etc etc. - that's a ton of work
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Square84
I don't think these pills work

just takes time and paitence. i'm interested in seeing the whole truck though looks like 15 different shades of green going on there.