The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
otef546

under seat speakers

Has anyone bought these speakers and if so what do you think of them.I have noticed them for sale at Ecklers and also Brothers.Any other suggestions on under seat speaker set ups would be appreciated.
Attached Images

otef546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
otef546

Re: under seat speakers

I forgot to tell you , I have buddy buckets.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
dan42

I can't imagine anything under the seats would sound very good -
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
otef546

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
I can't imagine anything under the seats would sound very good -
I agree but I still have the gas tank in the stock location so I don't have many options.Cutting the doors is not an option for me , maybe the kick panel speakers? I don't need much , most of the time I would rather listen to the big block.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
dan42

I got the kick panel speakers, but the jury's still out. I got the ones with the more expensive speakers, I think from Brother's, and I had to cut them up to make them work. The stereo I chose is the retrosound, and installed it thinking that my needs were not all that much, but it sounded like ca-rap. The retrosound had a problem from the get-go with the mini usb port, so that's going back, and I went down and got a better pair of speakers for the kick panels. If you get the kick panels, get them without the speakers, they jack you up on the price on those. I'm going to line the inside of the kickpanel inserts with dynamat and see if that helps.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

They look like a nice product; I looked at buying, but couldn't justify the price. I also have the stock gas tank, but I have a factory bench so I have more room. I built two boxes out of 3/4" particle board and installed 6x9s. I'm no audiophile, but it sounds good for what it is.

Please keep us posted if you go this route!
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
mcashman

I bought a set of 8" subwoofer felt covered particle board boxes off J.C Whittney about 10 years ago and put them under my seat in my '70. If I remember right they were really cheap and work and sound great. Don't know if they still have them though. Hope this helps.
mcashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
72blue

I would have to agree with Dan. Under the seat may be good for you, and I sympathize with you about the doors. The best possible location is the kick panels; the speakers aren't too close to your ears and at the same time they are aimed properly. Any speaker firing into a seat or cab wall is going to leave some sound in the upholstery. I plan on a local stereo shop constructing a set of kick panel speaker housings, but may be limited to 5.25" because I would like to use my e brake. I hope this helps; I am not trying to turn my nose up at your choice, but in fact just offering a different option for your audio needs.
72blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #9
otef546

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blue View Post
I would have to agree with Dan. Under the seat may be good for you, and I sympathize with you about the doors. The best possible location is the kick panels; the speakers aren't too close to your ears and at the same time they are aimed properly. Any speaker firing into a seat or cab wall is going to leave some sound in the upholstery. I plan on a local stereo shop constructing a set of kick panel speaker housings, but may be limited to 5.25" because I would like to use my e brake. I hope this helps; I am not trying to turn my nose up at your choice, but in fact just offering a different option for your audio needs.
I have a 67 so I guess the kick panel speakers would not cause a emergency brake problem for me? Is there any other issues using the kick panel type?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

I had a set similar to those, they sucked. I found that the best options were to do the following:

1) Take out the center dash speaker, make a bracket to hold 2 3 1/2" Infinity or whatever brand speakers to fit back in that location. Look at the LMC book for an idea of what I am talking about. They sound great, and go unnoticed.

2) Make your own kickpanel speaker houses to hold a Infinity or Kenwood 6.5 speaker. I did this on my truck I am building right now. It was very easy to do, and they look very nice. Also opens the option of going to a Kicker 6.5 to create a bit more bass.

3) The third thing is to install component tweeters in the lower portion of the dashboard. One next to the gauge cluster, above the vent knob, and the other on the passenger side in the same place.

Go on Amazon.com and look for the speakers. You will find that shops are selling refurbished units as well as opened packages very cheap. This is where I found mine. If you want to see the kickpanel speaker mounts I made to get the idea, let me know. You will be amazed how easy it is to do.

"Green Monster" 1972 Fleetside Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&goto=newpost

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=319041
Prostreet 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Zappafan

Somebody already cut the doors for speakers so I will just replace them with better speakers. I also have a set of Canton's from the late 70's that will fit under the bench and aim out. Will sound okay but with all the rattles the truck makes it's not going to sound like a night at the theater.
Zappafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Otsa580
I Love Rusty Chevys

The speaker holes in my door sure make it easy to shop-vac the water out of my doors when it rains!

Kick panel speakers would be a better option for me.
Otsa580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
dan42

Actually, mine's a '67 as well, and the end of the handle was hitting the speaker, until I ground a tad off the end. It might be able to be adjusted, but I'm not sure. The other thing you need to remember on kick panel speakers is that they obstruct the dimmer switch. I just flopped mine over and used the right-side hole to hold it down - that way I didn't have to drill anymore holes and it seems to be pretty secure.

Last edited by dan42; 02-24-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Two other options come to mind.

1). There is a headliner that can support some speakers. LMC has these as well as other sites.

2). Also this requires some modification, but I have noticed on the 2000+ year model truck they have speaks between the door and back glass.

I plan on looking thru the junkyards for this part to modify it to fit my small window '67.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #15
otef546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet 72 View Post
I had a set similar to those, they sucked. I found that the best options were to do the following:

1) Take out the center dash speaker, make a bracket to hold 2 3 1/2" Infinity or whatever brand speakers to fit back in that location. Look at the LMC book for an idea of what I am talking about. They sound great, and go unnoticed.

2) Make your own kickpanel speaker houses to hold a Infinity or Kenwood 6.5 speaker. I did this on my truck I am building right now. It was very easy to do, and they look very nice. Also opens the option of going to a Kicker 6.5 to create a bit more bass.

3) The third thing is to install component tweeters in the lower portion of the dashboard. One next to the gauge cluster, above the vent knob, and the other on the passenger side in the same place.

Go on Amazon.com and look for the speakers. You will find that shops are selling refurbished units as well as opened packages very cheap. This is where I found mine. If you want to see the kickpanel speaker mounts I made to get the idea, let me know. You will be amazed how easy it is to do.
Yes I would like to see the kickpanel speaker mounts.

thanks Mike
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

I made mine, so issues with fit and finish can be worked out. I can make you a set if you want. I'm preety cheap. We can work something out. You would just have to decide the orientation of the speaker. Do you want it aiming at you, toward the center of the seat, or at each other like the LMC versions.

Mine are for the 6.5" speakers, but they can be made for 6 x 9s as well. They will just be a tight fit. I don't have any pictures of mine completed yet. They will be wraped in vinyl to match the interior color I go with. I am planning for bright red. Remember, these pictures are missing the fiberglass work. They are shaped with fiberglass and cloth to both make them look nice and make them seal. Then you wrap them or paint them if you choose to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otef546 View Post
Yes I would like to see the kickpanel speaker mounts.

thanks Mike
Attached Images

"Green Monster" 1972 Fleetside Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&goto=newpost

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=319041

Last edited by Prostreet 72; 02-24-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Prostreet 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet 72 View Post
I made mine, so issues with fit and finish can be worked out.
How is clearance to the parking brake pedal?
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote