The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
JohnC

The Search is ON! Have a couple of ??

Hey everyone. I'm new here, and just sold my last projects to look for a 73-87 SWB. I have a couple of questions. I used to have a 84 Chevy SWB so I'm somewhat familiar with these trucks, but I have a few questions.
I know that 87 was the first year of the fuel injection, and 350 for the 81-87 styles. On the years before that did they start using any type of computers to handle things? Such as maybe timing, emissions, etc.. I don't remember my 84 having one, but didn't know if 85 or 86 had one. I would like to stay away from the computers. Just don't want to deal with a lot of sensors, and computer stuff. Did the 87's have all that much stuff on them? I know I had a 94, and they had the tbi setup, but I didn't know if the 87's had a lot of computer controlled stuff. Just mainly the injection setup.
Also I have heard that the trucks before 78 had body panels that were more prone to rust. I have never heard that before, but I do know that the 73-80 trucks around here are a lot more rusted than others. I also know that has a lot to do with their age, and most were used for work not for play back then. Don't see as many 73-80 SWB's around here as you do LWB's.
Thanks in advance for clearing up a couple of concerns for me. I'm looking for some as we speak, and hopefully will find a nice one soon to post pics of.

Last edited by JohnC; 03-02-2009 at 03:04 PM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
73chevyman

Re: The Search is ON! Have a couple of ??

my 73 came stock with a 350 4 barrel don't know where your getting that info but yes either 84 or 85 they started with the computers but not like todays standards they were there for the carb and timing and what ever sensors they used on them. you can get a older truck computer free and just swap it to the year you like
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
f.monroe

I tend to stay away from 81-86 trucks because of the 305. 87 is the preferred year of the 81-87's in my book . If you are going to be building an engine for one and not leave the drivetrain stock , year is unimportant . The only main difference I know of dealing with rust is that in the early years , the rear quarters will rust above the rear wheel opening because the panels are different . It changed in 76 or 77 but I am unsure which one . The early quarter panels do not have a drain built in to the quarter panel above the arch . The inner and outer panels are flat where they meet . The later years have rectangular slots stamped in the inner part of the panel that creates the drianage area . If you run your fingers along the inside of the rear wheel well top , you can feel the drains on the later style quarter panel . That is why so many early trucks have a line of rust about 2 inches above the rear wheel opening . Other than that , I think the body panels are relatively the same from 73-80 and then from 81-87 .
Frank
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Dooley

As early as 1981 some models were equipped with ESC, Electronic Spark Control.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
73chevyman

wasn't for sure thanks for the clear up
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
JohnC

Thanks for the info on the 73-80 trucks. Those are the ones I know the least about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73chevyman View Post
my 73 came stock with a 350 4 barrel don't know where your getting that info
I was meaning the 350 in the 81-87 trucks sorry. I knew in 81-86 they had 305's standard. I just wasn't sure how much computer stuff was in the 87 350. I've found a couple of 87's, and just didn't want to mess with the computers if they were too much of a hassle.

Didn't the ESC in 82 pertain more to just the newer distributor?

I know that the computers can't control much in their early days. Not that it's that big of a deal, but less hassle is always good!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
JohnC

I think I have decided to look for a 81-87, unless I can find a hell of a deal on an all original 73-80. I like the looks of the front ends better on the 81-87. I like the earlier ones, but not as well. So at least I have my search narrowed down!

Does anyone have opinions on benefits, or problems with the 87's vs 81-86? I know the 350 is a benefit, but were there any problems or quirks that came along with the first year of the tbi?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

By 87, TBI had been pretty well scienced out. It was basically the system as CFI, which dated back to the 82 model year in Camaros and Corvettes.

That being said, my 87 SWB was one of my favorites. It had a 350 and was pretty much stock, but the TBI didn't give me any trouble at all. The scum that broke into it did, but that's all.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
JohnC

Cool that is what I was wanting to hear. Funny when I wanted an 87 when I bought my 84 back in the day I couldn't find one. Now, it's the one I'm finding the most of!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

John, my '87 is a fun truck to drive, it's a bone stock 350 tbi. I can jump into it on the coldest of mornings (8 degrees this morning) and she fires right up. No long cranking and pumping the pedal, etc. When I stomp the gas, it goes. I've had several problems with the truck in regards to brake lines rotted, gas lines rotted, trans went out (due to being a plow truck), etc. The only thing I changed sensor wise was the oxygen sensor in hopes to get better gas mileage, but no TBI or sensor/computer problems to speak of. It's currently my daily driver.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
JohnC

Thanks BabyJay. That helps ease my mind about the 87's. I'm not real familiar with the computers in the vehicles. I know you can do the prom burning, and programming, and stuff like that, but that just sounds confusing. Not that I'm going to be doing a lot of mods, but that is the advantage of the earlier trucks. No worries about that!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The TBI 350 really has decent power. I also got about 16 mixed driving with mine. I bought it with a blown engine, and replaced all of the sensors (and belts, hoses, etc) when I put the new engine in. The truck is still going strong last I heard, and I sold it almost 4 years ago. That was a mistake on my part. Something else to keep in mind is that if you are planning an injected engine swap later on (LT1, LS1, etc.) then a lot of the fuel system is already done on an 87 also.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
JohnC

Thnks a lot JonBoy. Yeah the LS motors are great, but that would be WAY down the road. I'm lucky to just be getting one! I can only test my wife's patience so far at one time!

How hard is it to swap to elec windows from manual? I found a 87 with manual, and not against them especially how fast the elec one's usually move! Was just curious for future mods if I get it.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Electric windows is just 4 or 5 more things that can go bad. 2 sets of switches, 2 electric motors, and some wiring. AND they won't work if your bat is dead, your window is half down, and a gulley washer is approaching. Just my 2 pennies.

Last edited by babyJay; 03-04-2009 at 08:01 PM.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
f.monroe

look at this on Ebay . Item number: 220368851706. It is a custom deluxe but is reported a solid truck . I have seen vehicles from Colorado . They use sand on the roads and the vehicles I have seen from there are solid . You might widen your search to Col. craigslist . I am sure there are solid 87's out there .
Frank
Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
look at ...... vehicles from Colorado . They use sand on the roads and the vehicles I have seen from there are solid ......
Frank
Very good advice. Sometimes Colorado will net better trucks than the Southern states because there is almost no humidity and they don't salt the roads.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
JohnC

Hmmm I never thought about looking there. Just always assumed they would have more rust in them. I'll ad that area to my search. Thanks guys!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
b454rat

I had a couple 70s and 80s trucks, now have an 87, and have to say the one I like the most. I had an 84 that had a 6" lift, swapped in a 454, black with black interior, really cool truck. That truck wasn't bad for starting, pumped in once or twice, would fire right up. But sometimes it would die for no reason. Sucks when your inside and can't hear it run. My 87, which is TBI, turn the key, starts right up, turn the heater on, nice and toasty warm when you come back out. Bone stock, has decent power for having a 4 speed auto and Autobahn 3.08 gear. Gonna be making it a 4wd shortly...
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

This one looks pretty solid from the pics- LINK

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-06-2009 at 12:32 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #20
JohnC

Yeah I have talked to that guy. He really wants to trade doesn't want to sell that bad. I asked him some questions about it, and it was like I was putting him out to answer them. Still crosses my mind though.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
87Bob

Because of the similarities and the number of years that they were produced (71-87) there are a lot of original parts still out there plus there are a lot of resellers. I wound up backing into the deal on my 85. I got it from my father in law for for 850. It is an el strippo long box with just power steering and brakes. I'm doing the interior now. I'm adding tilt and intermittent wipers to a kick assssss stereo up grade and a upholstery redo. The tilt column cost me 35.00 new lock cylinder 25.00 and intermittent module 4.00. I may put air in it as well while I got it apart. But it is a solid truck with a few minor dings and dents which will get taken car of when it gets painted. I have two Corvettes that I'd rather drive but I'd love to work on the old truck (and I actually like driving it too). You'll enjoy having a truck!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
JohnC

Yeah like I said before I used to have a 84 Chevy SWB. Had it in high school and always loved the 73-87 style trucks. When I sold the truck it was bittersweet. I hated to sell it, because I loved it, but on the other hand the money from the sale really helped out my young family during tough times of starting out. Now that my family is in a better financial position I would like to have it back. Hence the search! I actually talked to the guy that bought my old 84. I'm thinking about going and talking to him to see if he would be interested in selling it back. Of course I don't know the condition of it now, so I may cry when I see it! Hopefully I will find one soon, that isn't a basket case, but also gives me something to enjoy!