The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Zappafan

Brake rod for pb, how to set up

I've converted over to power brakes by using the parts from my old 71 and putting them on my 72. I've put the different rod in now that I've gone to power brakes and I noticed that the pedal is much closer to the floorboards. In fact it was activating the switch for the brake lights. I've just disconnected it for now. Is there a set length the rod should be or will the pedal come up a bit when I hook up the vacuum line? I don't want to hook up the brake lines and bleed until I'm sure I've got the rod set correct. If I can get the brakes working I can get her on the road and sell the 90.
Zappafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
spinning wheels

Re: Brake rod for pb, how to set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappafan View Post
I've converted over to power brakes by using the parts from my old 71 and putting them on my 72. I've put the different rod in now that I've gone to power brakes and I noticed that the pedal is much closer to the floorboards. In fact it was activating the switch for the brake lights. I've just disconnected it for now. Is there a set length the rod should be or will the pedal come up a bit when I hook up the vacuum line? I don't want to hook up the brake lines and bleed until I'm sure I've got the rod set correct. If I can get the brakes working I can get her on the road and sell the 90.
Not an expert, but I had to adjust mine with the brakes hooked up. I went from the stock, (bad booster), to a 9" booster. That meant the whole booster setup was changed. I had the truck running and kept checking the return and the travel and kept making adjustments, until if felt right. I think I still need to do some more fine tuning to be totally happy. If you don't have the vacuum going to the booster, it is rock hard and hard to get a feeling of the brakes. At least, that was my experience with the new booster.

Last edited by spinning wheels; 03-29-2009 at 05:45 PM.
spinning wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
RSCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappafan View Post
I've converted over to power brakes by using the parts from my old 71 and putting them on my 72. I've put the different rod in now that I've gone to power brakes and I noticed that the pedal is much closer to the floorboards.

I just hoined up so my advice may be worthless at present, though I have worked on cars/trucks as a hobbie occasionally.

I just bought me a 68' SB stepside and had to make lots and lots of repairs to the braking system. I installed a 87' powerbrake set up in place of the manual master cylinder that was original. I had to lengthen the adjustment rod from the pedal to the master cylinder. Unfortunately the two did not match up (metric/SAE go figure) I had to weld a threaded end onto the new pushrod and make a new adjustment rod to make the correct length for the assembly. I made the necessary adjustments and it works fine, lights come on and go off as they are suposed to. I must say that it wasn't exactly very roomy under the dash with the wires, brake, and clutch pedals all keeping my hands away from where I wanted them. Good luck with it.

...Ron
RSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
BowTieMan

Thats normal.. my pedal did the same things after I converted it and mine is alot closer to the floor lol so actually I got more leg room. The lights switch is adjustable and just needs to be adjusted down a bit.

And on my 69 it has the accelerator rod for my gas pedal and I had to adjust it so my gas pedal was further down since it was alot higher then my brake pedal.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Zappafan

Thanks guys, I'll hook up the vacuum and see what happens. The brake light switch I wasn't worried about, it just confirmed that the pedal was closer to the floorboards.
Zappafan is offline   Reply With Quote