The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
MBurns326

Gas Gauge and Speedo Question

ok I really need some help here guys......

First My gas gauge and oil pressure gauge are not working. Strange thing is that they are both on the right side of the panel, but the gauges on the left side (temp and speedo) are working just fine....well see the bottom......What could cause just the two on the right side to quit working. The oil pressure is really important and I would like to get it back working.

Second my speedo has been off for....(well it's a 1971) probably 38 years. Bigger tires were put on it when my grandpa bought it new. It's probably 25 miles per hour too fast, and as a result it is putting miles on twice as fast as it's supposed to. How can I fix that? Do I need a new cable or what?

THANKS!!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Gas Gauge and Speedo Question

Can't ofer any help with the Gauges, but you will probably need one of these.. http://www.classicparts.com/1963-78-...o/91-932/...to sort out your speedo reading.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
mr48chev

On the gas and oil pressure you have to check the circuits starting at the senders.

On the speedometer there are a couple of ways to go.

You can change the speedometer drive gears in the back of the trans to correct the reading or you can get a box that you can calibrate to correct the reading. That connects to the speedometer drive on the trans and the cable connects to it.

This site has some pretty good info
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...FQEziQod3SGNeQ

You should be able to get the correct speedometer drive gears from your dealers parts counter or from a transmission shop that has a real good parts room though. You just have to know exactly what to ask for.

These days the simplest way to tell exactly how far the speedometer is off or how accurate it is, is to take a GPS and make a run down the highway at a steady speed and get a comparison. On road trips I use my GPS as a speedometer, I have a handheld unit that I use on the boat and it is pretty handy for speedometer calibration work.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-30-2009 at 06:40 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBurns326 View Post
ok I really need some help here guys......

First My gas gauge and oil pressure gauge are not working..........
The gas guage could be something as simple as the sending unit. One way to check is to ground out the single wire on you gas tank and see if the needle moves.

On the oil gauge, I'd first make sure that your are in fact pushing oil through the copper tubing. Sometimes they get kinked or clogged up.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote