The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2003, 10:18 PM   #1
CHaingKaiShek
I love goooooold!

Cool Next Upgrade?

Hey all. Not sure who has or has not seen my truck before. So I'll post a link to the page before I continue.

my truck

I pretty much ruled out engine work, as the 383 I have is about 90% finished. I had planned on simply installing this behind my TH-350 tranny, and the hopefully newly installed 3.73 gears/eaton posi unit.

I'd include wheels as a possible upgrade, but as I already have two of the Cragar 341 series rims I found that I liked.

So my list includes...

New Bucket seats along with new carpet for the interior. This 'package' will includ fabricating a center consol like Mike Ervin did - however I'm not sure I have the skill to do this.. (lol) Also plan to move to a floor mounted shifter if I install these buckets - It just looks cool.

tH-700R4. Another possible upgrade. I had one which I was building, sadly I messed *something* up in the process, and they could not get the transmission to shift properly into overdrive. (1-3 worked ) Anyway instead of pulling it apart again, I thought about buying one of those bowtie overdrives and simply installing that.

Snug top - Third possible upgrade, not as pricey as the others sure. But still a good chunk of change, also what about nerf bars? I personally dont think they'd look too good on my truck, which only sits at stock height.

And finally. Spending the cash, taking the time to rebuilt the suspension. This could no doubt be the best upgrade I could do. But personally I feel it could be the biggest PITA, besides I have a huge fear of sending a coil-spring flying through the air, and killing myself or someone else with the damn thing. :p

So what do you all think? Any other ideas?

Jeff
There's whiskey in the jar-o."

Last edited by CHaingKaiShek; 03-17-2003 at 10:56 PM.
CHaingKaiShek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
CRRoy71

If it's running and driving staight, I would leave the suspension and stuff alone and concentrate on the extras that you want. Maybe start on the inside and get it looking like you want, and then move to the outside.

I am about to put a 4" suspension lift on mine, because the pass side rear spring is weak and sagging. Otherwise I would leave it alone.

'92 ext. cab s/b 4.3L "Sparky"
'04 crew cab 2500 4x4 6.0L
CRRoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:48 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, after doing what you are wanting to do, and more, I vote for suspension first. This will a big improvement in ride, handling, and be a good upgrade for everything else you are wanting to do. It won't look or sound as cool, but coming from an old Carpenter here, everything starts at the foundation. If it's off, everything else you do from there on out will be off.

If you are worried about a coil spring jumping out, use a chain to hold it to the control arm until it's loose. All your ideas sound great, and as you know, all it takes is time and money, mostly money.

Are you planning on dropping it any? A 2/4 drop is not drastic, if you are not into the dropping scene. This just gives it a level stance and makes it look more cool. Something to think about. Only thing though, once you start lowering it, you will never be satisfied. You'll want more before long.

Good luck with it. Also, the link didn't work for me.

Oh, one more thing, it looks like I'm going to have to start building the consoles for you no skilled guys. Something for me to think about I guess.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #4
CHaingKaiShek
I love goooooold!

The link works now

Anyway I suppose fixing my battered old stock suspension would be the best idea. It's sagging a little on the pass. side.

I've ruled out lowering the truck really. And while it does look cool I'll admit, it's just really not for me. So a rebuild would be done at the stock height. (I like the rake).

Who knows, I may change my mind one day.

I've already picked up the supplies to start fabricating a 'rough' consol, using your 'guide' as a reference, Mike. I'm by no means a woodworker however, so it's going to be a slow process. I only need the 'seat forward' part of the consol however, so it will have to be at least a little different.

Adding the stereo down there also will allow me to avoid chopping up the next dash bezel.

Still undecided however.

Anywhere that sells rebuilt kits for the front ends of these trucks? (as a whole).

Jeff
Old 03-17-2003, 11:35 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

If you are wanting graphite/polyurethane, sure.

http://www.performancesuspension.com/truckfek.htm

Stock rubber, don't know.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
CHaingKaiShek
I love goooooold!

Cool mike, thanks.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2003, 02:41 AM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I vote suspension too!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 04:02 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I'm thinking either suspension or seats. I'm looking for new seats now. Mine is shot and I know the front suspension is needed as well but this seat has to go. I'm also decided on bucket seats and a console some what like Mike's. A bit different but still somewhat like that with a shifter

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:12 AM   #9
AirMale

Rebuild the front end and drop that sled at least 2/4 or more. Just think how much easier it will be to work on your engine.
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 04:29 PM   #10
CHaingKaiShek
I love goooooold!

Quote:
Originally posted by AirMale
Rebuild the front end and drop that sled at least 2/4 or more. Just think how much easier it will be to work on your engine.
And how much harder it will be to get under that beast.

I've ordered my suspension rebuild kit, which was not as expensive as I thought. Because the Federal Government was so giving with my tax return this year (Yeah..right. :p ) - I may just buy the seats as well.

I may however come back with questions about the rebuild, I have yet to do anything this major on a truck before. Friend of mine says to plan a full weekend for the job, a day for each side. Sound about right?

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2003, 06:39 PM   #11
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You said you've never tried this before, so here's some help.

http://www.73-87.com/garage/frontend.htm

Everything you see here is what I went through on mine. It's not a real bad job. Biggest thing is having the right tool for what you are wanting to do. Sort of like sex.

Yes, give it two days for completion with no experience of ever doing it before.

Have fun.

Mike
Old 03-18-2003, 08:18 PM   #12
solidaxel

If you don't do anaything to the suspension, go to Auto Zone and order a set of BILSTINE shocks for your truck you will think you bought a new truck they work so fine !!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote