The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
rappitysnap

brakes

i have a 70 c-10 long bed with a 350 that i use to pull my 3500 pound commercial fishing work boat. the brakes are stock drums front and back and dont exactly stop on a dime. so my question is what in you guys opinion would increase my stopping power? power drums, manual disc, power disc? had a 06 silverado that pulled the boat and it did fine with no trailer brakes so if i could get it anywhere close to that id be happy. thanks for any advice
rappitysnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: brakes

Power disk would be the best out of what you listed, but considerably more expensive than just a good brake job + adding a booster... which would do wonders in its self. Depending on a few factors... local terrain (hills), the frequency in which you drag this boat around, speed in which you travel, local population/congestion... Personally, I would try adding a booster and making sure the 4 wheel drums are up to snuff first. While drums aren't the best, they aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 04-07-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
rappitysnap

Re: brakes

cool, i dont have the time or money to convert discs right now so ill try getting a booster. traffic is not to bad and no hills here. whats the difficulty/ cost of installing a booster? thanks for the insight.
rappitysnap is offline   Reply With Quote