The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
dznucks

Pulleys....Billet or stamped?

I recently replaced my steel pulleys (water pump and crank) with billet pulleys as well as replaced the water pump and balancer.

before, the steel pulleys had alittle wobble to them and my thinking was that the billet would be truer than the steel since they are machined. after the install the billet water pump pulley, especially, is worse than before.
How much wobble are you guys seeing in your pulleys? can you noticably see they are not true or are they pretty true?

i was going to put an indicator on there to see if i could measure the wobble.
i am wondering if the water pump shaft is bent or if the flange that the pulley and fan mounts too isn't square. before i rip it all back off i would like to know if this is normal.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Ont67shortbox

Re: Pulleys....Billet or stamped?

we did this on our 69 Nova,similar problem,changed the balancer and no more wobble.
Ont67shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
dznucks

There is alittle wobble to the new balancer and the crank pulley. but its the water pump pulley thats really got me concerned.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
dznucks

I mounted a dial indicator such that i could measure the wobble and trueness (roundness) of the pulleys and water pump flange.

The water pump flange, that the pulley and fan mount too, has .012" of wobble, front to back of truck. The billet pulley, when installed, is .025" out of round and it wobbles .025" front to back. do these number seem like its too much? Should i replace the pump again?

It doesn't sound like much but there is a very visible wobble to the pulley, thats worse than it was before i replaced the water pump. I set the pulley on a flat, level surface and put a level on the pulley. its not warped and the front and back surfaces appear to be square.