The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Tater
Cradle Robber

U-Joint question

A couple weeks ago I posted a thread about how to check if my driveshaft is to short.I want to give a little more info on the problem I'm having.
I bought an 89 K5 a few months ago and drove for about 3-4 months without any problem.A couple months ago I decided to change the U-joints.Ever since I changed the U-joints I lost my rear driveshaft twice.I change my U-joints using a bench vice and a socket.I've been doing u-joints this way since I was 16.Thats the way my dad showed me how to do it and I've never had a problem until now.Am I doing something wrong?

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

Re: U-Joint question

When you say "lost your driveshaft" where exactly did it come apart? Caps came off? slip shaft separated? ubolts that go over ujoints fell out?
Eturnit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Tater
Cradle Robber

The front U-Joint that connects to the yolk is the one that has gone out both times.

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

a couple of shots of the yoke (at transfer case) and a shot of the whole driveline would greatly help us help you.. It could be that your driveline angle is to much and causing extra stress on the ujoint itself (my best guess) or it could be something as simple as your perch has lost one of the tabs that holds the cap in and eventually works itself loose.. the nature of a drive shafts centrifugal force is to want to push those caps out.. gotta make sure your snap rings are fully seated and your perches have retainer tabs (where you bolt it to the yoke).
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Tater
Cradle Robber

The part that confuses me the most is I drove the truck for about 6 months without a problem.I changed the u-joints and started having problems.I won't be putting it back together for a few weeks because the last time the driveshaft fell off I couldn't find the yolk,and I'm out of work right now.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

Well the good news is that, you've got your problem pretty well isolated eh ujoints are kinda tricky bro, it doesn't take a lot to botch an install. What happens is those one of those little roller bearings inside the caps will fall while your pressing them in and grind against the end of the shaft,which should turn side to side easily if installed right.. don't be discouraged... its the little stuff like this that helps you learn all the ins and outs of your truck!! Few other questions, how did you install your ujoints? And how well did you grease them? did it shake around like hell before the drive shaft dropped? And last but not least.. Did your driveshaft get damaged at all?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
Tater
Cradle Robber

I installed the U-joints using a bench vice and socket.I've done it this way many times before and never had a problem.
I greased them really good.I kept pumping the grease gun until grease was coming out around the caps.
The first time the driveshaft fell off it did get dented,but I had it rebalanced.
After I put the new U-joints in the truck did shake sometimes.Only in reverse after it sat for a couple hours.Sometimes I would put it in reverse step on the gas and it wouldn't move or it would move real slow

Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
shilo

"Sometimes I would put it in reverse step on the gas and it wouldn't move or it would move real slow"

You mean the truck wouldnt move? Like you were trying to drive off but it just stalled?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Tater
Cradle Robber

It wouldn't stall.It just wouldn't move.I put in drive and go forward with no problem then put it back inreverse an it worked fine.This never happened until I changed the u-joints.