The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
dimkapdx

Dropping a C20 3/4 Ton -- Help?!?!

I have a '67 C20 where the previous owner dropped the front considerably, and I now need to drop the rear by 3 to 4 inches to make it sit level. However, none of the big companies (LMC, Brothers, etc.) seem to carry any drop coils available for the 3/4 tons. There has to be someone...right?

Also, I know I can make some lowering blocks, but a 3 inch lowering block just sounds like a bad idea.

I am open to any suggestions. Already considered airbags, and they are more than I want to invest into this project.
dimkapdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Dropping a C20 3/4 Ton -- Help?!?!

If you don't plan on using the truck for hauling huge loads, I think you can just use 1/2 ton lowering coils. Hopefully, someone else will chime in and confirm whether or not this can be done.

I think the front coils used on 1/2 ton big block and 3/4 ton big block trucks are the same (at least they are the same part numbers in all the catalogs I have)

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
dough_boy

not sure i remember this right but your trucks have coils all the way around right? and do the rear arms go underneath the axle? if this is so blocks are a safe way of lowering A truck. i wouldnt go with any bigger than 3 inch blocks tho. i have had lowering block on almost everything i have owned. and i install them everyday on all types of different trucks. they work fine man. i have also heard of guys cutting the coils on their trucks because they dont wanna spend the money or cant find coils for there truck but this is something that i would not do on my personal truck. i know people have been doing that for years but i would just rather find the right parts. good luck man and let us know what you come up with.
dough_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
dimkapdx

Thank you for the speedy replies...greatly appriciated!

The truck does have coils all the way around. I'll look into getting some 3x2 squre tubing...should be super cheap. The U-Bolts will likely be the most expensive part.

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
dough_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkapdx View Post
Thank you for the speedy replies...greatly appriciated!

The truck does have coils all the way around. I'll look into getting some 3x2 squre tubing...should be super cheap. The U-Bolts will likely be the most expensive part.

Thanks again.
most of the time you can just run down to the local parts house and they how a "lowering kit" that comes with the blocks and u bolts. usually runs bout 30 to 40 bucks man.
here is a link to some.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Produ...&currentPage=0

Last edited by dough_boy; 06-18-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
dough_boy

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Displ...ycleCount=1697

this is a link to an assortment of blocks. most stores keep these in stock
Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
dimkapdx

Million thanks for the helpful info!

One quick questions before I go buy these blocks -- > Do I have to buy something specific for a Coil suspension? Conceptually, I get that it's just a block, but all of the kits I have found say they are for a leaf suspension and there is key/tab on the blocks to fit and stay put on the spring perch. Will these mate well with with the long arms on my C20?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
dough_boy

after doing a lil more research i found some other parts that could help you. also i do belive that you will not be able to use the blocks i listed above, sorry. i found a site that offers lowered springs and block kits for the 67-72 c10 and c20. here is the link for this site.
http://www.resto-modtechnology.com/s.../77/Categories
hope this helps. it shows to be truck specific so im sure you will find anything you need here my friend. let me know how it works out for you.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
rlm316

I have a '70 C20 that I lowered 2'" with springs front and back. I had to use 1/2t springs because they were the only ones offered. I won't be using the truck to haul with so it was not an issue. The springs went right in and it was an easy swap.
rlm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
cadillacart
1972 C/20

Subscribed!
cadillacart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:24 AM   #11
GMCPaul

We have 3/4 ton drop springs for front or rear available. You'll find them on the following page of our web site
http://www.gmcpauls.com/lowering_springs_&_parts.htm
Part# 4145732 $129.95pr are our rear 3/4 ton drop coil springs, Part # 4145722 is for our front 3/4 ton drop coil springs.
The springs take on avaerage 3-7 days to ship from time of order because they are custom wound and tempered here in the USA for the specific truck they will be installed on, with spring rate & rating detemined by your trucks specs. We supply the following info to our manufacturer to build your springs
#1- Year
#2- Model ( Truck, Suburban, Blazer, Panel Truck
#3- Ton Rating
#4- Wheelbase Length
#5- Motor Size
#6- Transmission
#7- A/c or Non-A/C
#8- Bed Style
#-9 Drop Height Desired
They then determine the vehicles weight based on this info and custom wind and temper the springs to your truck, after tempering process they are again checked to make sure they a matched set that will provide the same ride and spring rate painted, boxed and shipped to the customer. Overall it generally takes 5-10 days from time of order until the springs arrive at your door.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
BADSAM
J'ville Junkman

GMC Paul,

That's pretty cool, how long have y'all been offering these?

I've seen this question come up more than a few times in the past few months. This is the first time I've seen these springs come up.

Once again, very cool!

THANKS
57 Chevy 210 Wagon - 9 Passenger (Wife's project-working on floorpans)
73 Corvette (17 yr old daughter's: Another project - what's wrong with me?)
53 Willys M38
BADSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
GMCPaul

We have had our drop springs made for 3/4 tons around 8 years now ever since we began having all our drop springs custom made to each individual trucks specs. I'm surprised other members that bought them have not replied as there have been quite a few, although with as fast as a post leaves the 1st page then again I'm not surprised.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote